“Good”
Review of Hotel At Home

Hotel At Home
Ranked #175 of 497 Hotels in Seoul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
seoul
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We booked two rooms with Hotel Lees for my family to attend my wedding in Seoul. I triple checked the bookings, but on the arrival day of my brother and his teenage daughter, the manager of the hotel lied to us about damage in the room, and that they would have to spend the night somewhere else. My parents had arrived earlier and had stayed for three nights of a pre-paid 9 night stay. My brother and his daughter had travelled for 20 hours and were in desperate need of sleep, but the Lees hotel would not give a room. After some time they finally admitted my suspicions that they had double booked the room, and even though they had empty rooms at the time, and had lied to us, they refused to honor their booking with us. we found another hotel for my brother and his daughter and informed the lees hotel that they would not be needing the remainder of their six night stay. The manager's response was to call my soon to be wife a '[-]' among other things and to throw my parents out of their room, too! this was at around 8pm and we had to spend the rest of our pre-wedding party searching frantically for another hotel for my parents while they stood on the street for over two hours with all their bags. The manager also refused to refund the remainder of the pre-paid fee for my parents room (around 450 dollars worth) until eventually conceeding in a further hurl of insults. The manager proved herself to be a liar, insulting and one not deserving of your trust, and certainly not your money.

I'm really sorry to have to report this as it reflects very badly on travelling in Seoul, which is a great place to stay and experience new things. I cannot advise strongly enough against staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank ksbexpat
Samcheok-si
Reviewed June 1, 2008

This hotel was a complete disappointment. I have stayed in other hotes/motels throughout Korea, and this has been the worst.

First, the hallways, lobby, furnture and floors were dirt-stained. An anomoly in Korea.

Second, I booked a "junior suite" and payed 20000 won more for this (roughly USD 20) The "suite" consisted of simply a bigger room with a huge expanse of lenoleum. I discovered sleeping mats in te closet, so "suite" meant place to bring a bunch of people to sleep on the floor.

The other disappointment was the food service. There are signs all over, including the elevator touting times and prices for the on-site restaurant (closing at 10:30) I went there at 9:45 and was told it was not open. I asked for at least some tea or coffee and was given, after many minutes of searching, one tea bag.

This hotel is expensive for the location (Jongro) and quality. Therea are many better places, emotel for example, which provide cleaner, higher quality accomodations at lower prices.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank ghisalloinkorea

Travelers are raving about these Seoul hotels

Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Lonely Planet recommended this hotel as one of the best deals in the downtown area, and it is also recommended by the Seoul City Government (on their "Innostel" website, which provides a list of cost-effective accommodations in Seoul). I would also recommend this hotel to travellers who are looking for something more than a motel, but without having to pay the usual high prices of most hotels.

The hotel is located in the Gwanghwamun area, which is close to palaces, and other places of interest. It's just off Jongno, the main street, and slightly to the east of the more happening part of Jongno (which has many shops, cafes, etc.), as well as Insadong. The hotel's immediate area isn't very "touristy" (LP said it was "nothing special"), but I actually found it to be very interesting - lots of very "local" restaurants, and even a huge, very "local" market right across Jongno street (on the way to this market, there is an underground shopping arcade where you can see lots of stores displaying and selling the traditional Korean dress). A "Family Mart" convenience store is just down the lane from the hotel, and the subway station is a few minutes' walk away.

We had a twin room with 2 single beds (US $67) A double room (one bed) is about US$60. Our room was small and basic - nothing fancy - but we had TV with English-language channels, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was decent and had a great shower. Most importantly, the room was clean. When we arrived, we were given breakfast coupons, which we had not expected, although breakfast was very basic - a choice of rice porridge or toast.

My only complaints: some of the room lights (controlled by switches on the night table) would, once in a while, turn off by themselves (although not all at once). Also, of the 4 or 5 people that worked at reception on different days, only one of them was able to speak English (they all spoke Japanese). So don't rely on them to give you information or directions.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Problem of lights turning off, non-English speaking staff
  • Stayed April 2008