Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 25, 2011

The place is a bit compact but I enjoyed my stay there. There is a requirement to send three confirmations to confirm your stay there but to me it is still nice. There's free international calls to landlines for 3 minutes at any time, free internet (2 computers at the ground floor) and wifi. Please bear in mind they dont have a wardrobe or closet (but they have a few hooks on the wall and do not provide toiletries. But you can use t-money (for a deposit of 5,000 won, which they will return to you when you give the card back to them). They also provide the international adaptor for a deposit of 5,000 won. If you are into big towels, you might want to bring your own towel because the towel that they provide you is slightly bigger than a face towel. Please take note that they do not allow guests in the room and do not allow guests to eat in the room. However, they sort of provide a pantry with microwave and fridge and guests can eat outside.

walking distance to Namdaemun Market and Hoehyon Station.

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Myeongdong branch: Great location, room was ok but the staff were bad.

I realised that my private room didn't have a towel, so thinking I could rent one I went to reception during opening hours, but the staff had abandoned the hostel! There was nobody to help me, just a number to call. I feel sorry for anyone who tried to check in at that time. Anyway, when I (eventually) got hold of them and said I needed a towel, they said they would bring me one shortly. I waited for an hour and they never came. The next day they still hadn't brought me one.

One problem with the room is that it got completely flooded after showering. I had a very bad sleep because I could hear the other guests through the thin walls. I was also kept awake by loud water glugging noises, which sounded like they were coming from a water tank/boiler in my ceiling.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank LoveJoburg
Reviewed January 10, 2011

we booked a room 3 weeks before arriving to Seoul and re-confirmed the booking (as required by the hostel) some days before checking-in. They sent us a regular confirmation but, when we arrived the receptionist told us there was no room and proposed us to go to another hostel, 10 minutes far by taxi! After discussing some minutes, he informed us that our room was available...!
So we checked in, payed and discovered that the room wasn't clean at all!
The bed is good quality, very confortable, that's the only positive thing about our stay in Seoul backpackers

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank viaggiat0rexpassi0ne
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Was a little bit hard (and expensive) to find coming from the KAL limo bus from the airport, as we were trying to figure out which alleyway to walk down from the Hilton hotel. There is a small slope going up to reach the hostel, but we managed fine even with our heavy suitcases.

After checking in, we realised there was an easier way around via exit 4 of Hoehyeon station, which made travelling back and forth via metro really convenient. If you would like to take subway from Incheon / Gimpo Airport to save on the KAL limo bus service (15,000KRW), I say go for it. Takes about half an hour more, and requires more planning, but you save more than half of the bus fare. From Incheon, take the Airport Railroad (AREX) to Gimpo Airport. Then transfer to line 9 Express train (it's a new line, so look for a newer map and check the timings, it's the same platform as the all-stop train), and transfer to blue line 4 at Dongjak Station for Hoehyeon. Sounds a little complicated but it's pretty much straight forward, really. Requires a little bit of a walk (and you're required to tap your card) during the second transfer though.

Hostel is located near 2 convenience stores and a 24-hour restaurant (though I only saw it operating 24-hours on 1 night out of my 5 night stay) so it's convenient for your late night snacks. Also, the street is opposite Namdaemun Market gate 6, which is really bustling in the day, and has some pojangmacha open at night for that late night soju.

Double room we checked in to on our first night on the 3rd floor was great. There's a lift, so not to worry. Big spacious and comfortable. Only thing was the ensuite bathroom smelled a little stale - ventilation could have been better I guess. But it's a separate entrance to the bedroom and to the bathroom, so we didn't really mind.

We checked out and checked back in a few days later after exploring the other cities. This time the room they gave us on the first floor was smaller. Even though we requested for the room we had on the first day, they told us the rooms were all taken. We were sleeping triple this time - it was a double bed and they added in one mattress. So with the addition of one mattress, the room was pretty much packed. The linen for the extra mattress is pretty much threadbare. So be warned, if you're going triple sharing!

There's free wifi, which is a little intermittent - on the 3rd floor we couldn't really get wifi, on the first floor it worked great. Otherwise, there's 2 computer sets on the first floor. There's also Skype free international calling, some guidebooks, a fridge & microwave, and free coffee & tea in the common area.

As for the service, I must say thumbs-up to Kim, who works there weekends. We missed our domestic flight, and headed to reception to borrow the phone to call the budget airline to change our flight. When he heard of our predicament, he immediately took it upon him to help us in changing our flight, and even used his own mobile phone to send the booking confirmation. Really a lifesaver, else I think the whole process would have been much more painful if we tried to converse with the airline in English.

The other staff could be a little surly at times, but they would still help you out upon request.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank summerly
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We arrived at seoul backpackers after a long journey on an icy midnight and after even the excellent cabbie had to make two phone calls to find this literal hole in the wall, we were stunned by the bad attitude these guys had, we were initially
ignored by the two blokes running this dump, and mind you the "lobby" is about 3 sq meters, and then "Kim" poked a rules and regulations sheet with lots of red rules out of his little window, "here, read this and agree, or you can't stay here" - felt like checking into Stalag 14, - checkout at 10:30 AM or 9 usd per hour or fraction penalty thereafter, and this for a 55 usd little room in a makeshift building. Long story made short, we lugged our huge packs back into the icy night and low and behold, only a block from there found a neat little place with all the trimmings and free fast internet for 20 bucks LESS and
absolutely NICE Korean hospitality. So what's the beef with Seoul Backpackers? they are just grumps, foreigner-phobes and plain unkind, the place has no elevator but 5 floors and no wifi, except in the 2 x 3 meter " lounge ", ... Kim, Han and Donny urgently need to take a hospitality class. They are terrible hosts. NOTE: this place is over 2 hours form the INCHEON airport, don't be fooled by marketing.

The Myeong-Dong area is FULL of much better, friendly and CHEAPER places than