“Friendly staff, good location, but too noisy at night”
Review of Guesthouse Korea

Guesthouse Korea
Ranked #269 of 541 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Singapore, Singapore
“Friendly staff, good location, but too noisy at night”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was the most affordable guesthouse i could find in Seoul. And the location was so convenient - near many historical sites, cultural areas, eating places and accessible to 5 subway lines.
But the room was too small and messy. The lounge and rooms were not sound-proof, so it can be annoying at times.
The heating facility did not work as well.
Would come back to this area to stay next time, and try avoid this particular hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Maui
Reviewed September 13, 2012

September 2012 was my second stay at Guesthouse Korea, I stayed there earlier, during the lunar New Year, and vowed I would never return. Why? ...little heat in private room, ( it was freezing ) no toilet paper, coffee ran out on the second day, no towels, - actually this was just as well since the room I stayed in had virtually NO water pressure for a shower - plus NO hot water. The location, however, is excellent so I gave the place another try. The September stay started out great - actually had hot water and was provided with a towel, albeit a tiny one. The guesthouse seemed more organized. Unfortunately, ultimately that was not the case and I will look elsewhere during my next Seoul stay. There is, however, a nice assortment of world travelers coming through this place so perhaps that's Guesthouse Korea's saving grace.

Room Tip: It's the Luck of The Draw with this place - if the the owner is in town - well, you might enjoy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank kilikina1
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I never expected much from a budget hostel like this but I really was satisfied with it. I thought it was a bad choice based on other reviews but luckily when we stayed, I was satisfied of what I got from the price that I paid. The location was good, it was just across Changeokdung and near Gyeongbokgung Palace so as well to Insadong. For a cheap place, you will have your own fridge and toilet, especially good if you are in a group because you can take 1 4-bedroom to yourselves. They serve sandwich and coffee for breakfast too. It was also clean. If you are looking for a low budget place and wanted to save up for admission fees to places to visit , this one was good at our time. I will still stay here again when I go back to Seoul. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank icespring
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed in this guesthouse for 5 days. The cheap single room was quite small but at least the bathroom was ensuite. The location is good because it is near two palaces, Insadong area, Jongmyo shrine, and Jongno 3 station which serves 3 subway lines. There are also numerous convenience stores nearby.

My room was at the ground floor and I have to agree on the smell reported by the other reviewers. The room was not spotless but I wouldn't call it dirty either. My toilet door also could not be locked. This didn't bother me because I traveled alone. I think it is a fair deal for the price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank toryangski
sg
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The owner was there when we checked in. He gave us a discount since we were staying for a total of 8 nights. We had a triple room ensuite. It was very very small. Just a small aisle between the bunk bed and the single bed, barely had room to walk after we placed our luggages. Rooms weren't sparkling clean but i wouldnt consider it dirty. Bread and jam was provided during breakfast in the common lounge.

We travelled out of seoul for quite a few days and so we left some of our bags there. It wasn't very safe as the bags were just placed in the common area. No tagging, no locks etc. Luckily, we all got our bags back.

We had a four-bed dorm room on the last few days of our stay there. It was slightly bigger. However, there was a sewage smell, perhaps due to it being located on the first floor. We had to open the window while we were in the room. Do note that the ensuite toilet door in both of the rooms could not be locked.

Location-wise, it was roughly a 10-min walk to Jongno-samga subway station which is on 3 of the subway lines. I would say it was easy for us to travel around, given its central location. There are also supermarkets and a few convenience stores on the streets leading to the subway station. It is located very near to Changdeokgung palace and the tteok museum. It was also within walking distance to attractions such as Insadong and Jongmyo as well.

Given that it was 18 000won/person/night, it would be suitable if you are looking for a place just to stay the night since you will be out travelling most of the time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bluelysSg
Singapore
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We arrived late in the airport at about 10.30pm. By time we reached there it was 12am. Upon check-in, the staff name Min look ok. However after asking him a feel questions, he felt irritated.

The room was really smaller than expected, look dirty and worse of all, there's no washing basin inside the room.

When I went out briefly and came back couldn't not open the gate, he gave a really bad smirk and give that real bad attitude. The next morning upon we checked out, not knowing how the check-out procedure work in Seoul hostels, we looked for staff's assistance. It turned out the same guy was sound asleep and he gave a real bad attitude after hinting us to throw the key into a paper box.

Although I booked this separate rooms for 2 separate nights, we decided to not to move in on the final night and stay in a much nicer and more friendly guesthouse at Myeongdong area (hint: the one starts with N).

Book this place at your own risk!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fly_ar0und_the_W0rld

Travelers are raving about these Seoul hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I cant help but think the reviewers who rated this place as terrible have got their locations mixed up. There were no pets and there was no trouble with my bookings or payment. This is a slightly shabby cluttered guesthouse with friendly and helpful owners. It is what I call "boy-clean". The basics are done eg clean toilet, shower etc but maybe dust under the bed or a spatter on the mirror. So if you are a clean freak this place is maynot be for you. But for those who are travelling on a budget, want a great location ( it is also great for the airport bus ) laundry facilities ( with free soap ) and a friendly atmosphere Guesthouse Korea offers all this at a great price. I took this guest house on a reccommendation from a friend and I pass this on to all those who read these reviews.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo