“Plaza view of action in Seoul”
Review of Hotel President

Hotel President
Ranked #144 of 500 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We spent a very comfortable and reasonably priced stay at Hotel President just before returning home to Seattle on July 4. While the entire 3 week trip in the southern part of the country was wonderful, we were very much surprised each evening of our stay in Seoul to have entertainment in Seoul Plaza, right outside our window. The first night featured K-pop and the second traditional Korean music and dance. It was fun to be part of such a lively city, from the comfort of our room. There was construction on the new Seoul City Hall, but all hotels in the area are affected by it.
Since there are so many delicious places to eat in Seoul, your choice of room or dining service has to be due to exhaustion and convenience. The breakfast buffet was not as good as other luxury hotels in Korea (Daegu and Gyeongju resort and business hotels were much better, especially in the area of Korean food), but food was fresh.
We appreciated the professionalism of the staff and the attention to our needs, especially with transportation. One of our hosts in Daegu had been married at the President many years ago: we understand it still is the only place with wedding facilities on the top floor, a definite plus for a memorable event.

Room Tip: Book ahead; find out when the City Hall construction will be over if that bothers you.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel President

Reviewed September 1, 2011

My office recently used this hotel for visiting guests. I initially went there and had not seen the rooms, only had lunch with my guests at the hotel restaurant. The food at the hotel restaurant is overpriced and okay if you don't want to go out for your meal or drinks. However, the hotel is only minutes to Myeong-dong where you can find hundreds of restaurants and street vendors, so why stay indoors?

The second time I came here was after I messed up my reservation at Ibis Meyong-dong (you can read my horrible review of that hotel and what happened at the Ibis page). I was desperate for a room and remembered Prince Hotel. I was very pleased when a gentleman at the front desk offered me a room that was significantly lower than the rooms at Ibis. He was also much nicer than the woman I had encountered at the Ibis front desk.

The room itself leaves much to be desired. They look like they were constructed in the 1970s or 80s so you are not going to find anything contemporary about Prince Hotel's rooms. The bathroom is okay but I wouldn't call it comfortable or a place where I'd want to sit back, relax, and take a bubble bath. There is free wireless in rooms and a business center next to the front desk.

All in all I was satisfied with this hotel, especially after my bad experience with Ibis. It's not the best hotel for someone looking for a luxury weekend getaway experience. This is basically a tourist hotel in a great location that offers lower prices than other hotels near Myeong-dong.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank CarmenSandiego30
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I was booked into this hotel by the organizers of a conference I am attending here in Seoul. I had read the other trip adviser reviews and must say, I was a bit worried. They were not horrible, but not great either and since it was my first trip to Korea and I'm here at the hotel for many days, the hotel was going to matter. So a few updates. There was mention of no air conditioning. Either that was an isolated incident or there have been upgrades, so no worries, there is air conditioning (so much so, I had to turn it off). Amenities. It is true, they do not give you free shampoo or conditioner (there is some facial stuff and soap) so either bring your own or you can purchase in the room. They have a small shop in the room, all reasonably priced. So yes, it is slightly surprising but not horrible. Okay the hotel, it is located on a main circular, very close to the Lotte and Westin (downtown). When you arrive at the airport, take the KAL bus, which leaves from a few places but I took it just outside of door 11. Before you do, though, make sure you take money out of one of the global ATMs which are scattered around the arrivals area. There is a transport ticket desk (see orange sign) where you can buy tickets for a number of bus carriers but ask for the Seoul limosine (called luxury bus). It cost 15,000 (about $13.00) and it does take about 80-90 minutes and we had very little traffic). Once in the bus, it is english friendly and just wait until you hear Lotte stop. When I was on it, it was the 3rd. Once you arrive at the Plaza-which was the 2nd stop-you can see this hotel on the circle but because of the way the streets are laid out, wait until you get to Lotte to get off. Once there, just go back out on to the street and take a left (actually look down the street in case you exited differently) and you should be about a 3 minute walk from the hotel. Note there is a Dunkin Donuts across the road from the hotel entrance! Okay the lobby of the hotel is very nice and staff and check in nice. My room (on the 28th floor) was absolutely fine. I did not find the bed uncomfortable, yes a bit worn (rug, etc) but generally quite good. Some English channels on tv (actually American-ABC and CNN and one other one I can't quite identify). TV a flat screen. There is a small bar in the room where drinks are not horribly priced and there is a decent shower/bath and a safe. All in all, as I noted, I think it is fine. Think average Hilton. There are a few restaurants in the hotel and a bank as a well as a bar at the lobby level. I am sure there is more, but I have only just arrived. Oh and there is internet in the room. It is not wireless, you need to hook up your machine via a cable but the cable is long enough to reach the table and I found the internet to be quite fast. There are two negatives, one temporary and one not, the temporary is that the hotel is getting a facelift (renovating) beginning June 15 (tmr) through August (2011). Beware if you are booking here for that period. I don't know what the construction will be (it starts tmr) but the times are listed as 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Secondly, even though I am nearly on the top floor, it is fairly noisy-both from street noise and the square in front and people noise. Bring ear plugs. I doubt the upgrading will help this. All in all, would I recommend, yes if you need a less expensive hotel. Please note that Seoul is EXPENSIVE. Really surprisingly so and as a result, hotels are really high here. So if you can afford $250-300 per night, then maybe look to the Lotte or Westin, but if you want a decent and more affordable (this one is about $144-160), this is not a bad choice.

Room Tip: Don't get one facing the square
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank CavKA
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Being a much cheaper place than the neighboring Lotte hotel, I was not expecting much for it. However, it is totally shocking that they do not even provide you with free shampoo or conditioner, something even a budget 2-star hotel would supply. They do have shampoo in the room, but you have to pay for it!
The Internet connection is ridiculous too. The hookup is at the night stand, which is on the opposite side of the room from the desk. Unless you carry with you a long long Ethernet cable, you cannot get online sitting at the desk. I ended up working on my computer sitting on the bed...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank luckysoul7777
Reviewed January 19, 2011

The President Hotel is centrally located in Seoul close to the Central Plaza as well as close to other major hotels: Lotte, Plaza. Great location. Short walking distance to all ammenities and subway line. Lower priced than the other hotels but reflected in the dated decor of the rooms. The furniture is something that you might see your grandmother having in her room right down to the power control mechanism beside the bed. Carpets were old. Kettle in room would have been nice. The bed was hard but alright (I think it is common in Asia). The hotel was clean and safe which is most important. The service was great, they brought an adaptor to my room for me to use and my room was always cleaned promptly. If looking for more of a budget saver centrally located and don't mind, this might do the trick.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Centrally located in downtown Seoul, very close to shopping malls and restaurants. Room was very clean and spacious, laundry service very fast. Breakfast (extra charge) with lot of choice. Very good downtown view from twentysecond floor. Shuttle service to the airport at the neighbour hotel goes every thirty minutes, very convenient at reasonable price. Recommendable, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank echendu
Reviewed November 6, 2010

hotel president is just a one corner walk going to myeongdong st and in the center of seoul.Hope the airconditiong inside the room is working because for 7days in our stay we have to open the window and ask for an electric fan in the housekeeping.They just let the air blower on which is the heater.In the lobby and in the hall aircondition is there and in the bathroom why not in the room?Ask them why they just answer the no aircondition really in the room.In our 1st visit in Seoul last december 2009 we stayed in Koreana Hotel there aircon is working even winter time no comments for that hotel we have to look for a hotel that is near myeongdong st. because of my 2 teenager daugther.Try to book metro hotel but they only give me 3nights for a triple bed so have to look for another hotel which must be near the said place

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family