“Nice facade masks a dilapidated interior”
Review of Koreana Hotel

Koreana Hotel
Ranked #80 of 500 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Staying here right now with my MBA study tour - have changed rooms once due to musty smell in the room. No wireless, twin beds, old carpet, hard and springy beds - first time in Korea and not a good example of a local hotel.
Location is good - shopping, sights, business - all relatively close and within walking distance.
Generally speaking, not a good experience.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TX_Burneys
이민영, 고객 담당 매니저 at Koreana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was sorry to read about the frustration experienced with the room. Now we offer wifi service, have renovated hotel rooms gradually. We sincerely hope to have a chance to welcome you back again.

Min Young Lee / Manager on duty

There are newer reviews for Koreana Hotel

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is not an upper end luxurious hotel (i.e. Deluxe rather than Super-Deluxe by Korean categorization), but is has a couple of very attractive features that make it recommendable. It is perfectly located in a safe and comparatively calm place in downtown Seoul. Town hall in sight from the Eastern rooms; major palaces within 10 minutes walking distance; major shopping district 20 minutes by foot. My room was spacious, clean, and quiet, the bathroom still showing the luxury and space for which it was once designed. True, furnitures were a bit outdated, as remarked by other reviewers, and the matrasses could be more comfortable. Yet,
given this location, the room rate you can get on the internet are a fair deal, significantly lower than Super-Deluxe hotels nearby (like the Lotte Hotel or the Seoul Plaza Hotel).

The hotel is particularly recommendable for a short stop-over in Seoul. There is a Korean Air bus leaving every 20 minutes from Incheon Intern. Airport going to downtown Seoul. One of its stops is right in front of the hotel (and the return ride also starts every 20 minutes from the hotel). Riding time: 70 - 80 minutes one way. In view of the deserted vicinity of Incheon Airport hotels this may be worth it.

Room Tip: Suggestion: don't book the superior room category (somewhat more spacious than the regular rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Been selecting the hotel in both my visit to Seoul for one reason, LOCATION. It is very conveniently located in Gwanghamun. Insadong is 20 min walks, lots of palace around the hotel, Seoul City Tour bus started from the hotel, and accessible from airport using KAL limousine bus. But don't expect much on the service, or the facility. Breakfast is so-so, the staff is a bit "stiff" to guests, but again they have a perfect location

Room Tip: If money is no objections, ask for room in the Executive floor. It will settles you about 270K Won a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Hotel was close to the shopping district, the train station and to the palace. There's also lots of restaurants around the area. It also located in Seoul's business district so if you're in Seoul for business, this is a recommended hotel. Rooms were clean. But they need to add a free and good internet connection.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights attending a conference. The Press Centre is across the hotel and a tunnel leads across the busy road. It is a short walk to the Grand Palace and 10 mins walk to the Myeongdong shopping street. Unfortunately, the hotel seems dated and worse, there was no wireless. We had to pay for LAN Internet...about US$18 per day. Internet should come standard with hotel rooms these days - and wireless should be standard too! Otherwise, the hotel staff were pleasant and the room reasonable. What stood out was the ample number of power points....but not that it matters as I only had two adaptors to plug into the wall sockets.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2012

From my experience, stayed here for 2 nights was a very good, I stayed in the executive room on 15th floor, the room was spacious. There were two beds, yeap 2 beds, and I was alone, I thought it was only my room, but turned out my friends rooms were exactly the same, one queen size bed and one single bed. Bed was okay, but the pillows got that dusty smell, bathroom was spacious, there were bathtub and shower as well, when the shower was used, the water was everywhere leaking, so it was kinda annoying. The wired internet in my room was good and free. The breakfast, was okay, although less variety, oh and remember not to wear the room slippers when you're gonna have your breakfast, the guy would tell you that the slippers are only for the room and would ask you to go back to your room to change it. The location, was great. Right outside its door, the Airport limousine bus shuttle, and a little walk from there is the Seoul city bus tour shuttle, a little walk again and across the street is the King Sejong's statue, there's also Gyeongbokgung Palace, Insadong etc nearby. Since we were leaving early in the morning, and wanted to make use of the breakfast voucher, the hotel was kindly prepared us sandwiches to go, so make sure you asked the same if you're leaving early and still got breakfast voucher to spent.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2012

When I checked in, the internet didn't work. It was late at night and had to switch rooms and it still didn't work. Someone from the front desk had to crawl on his knees and fiddle with the connection to get it to work.

Twice the maid entered my room without knocking. The first time I was in the middle of getting undressed.

Asked the concierge a question, he could not understand me. The manager told me that they did not have to have a concierge who speaks English because most of their guests are Japanese. Almost none of the staff speaks English at all.

Breakfast is tasteless. Best part is the coffee, but they don't have non-sugar sweetener (fortunately for me, I brought my own). Beds are hard.

Upon checking out I asked if I could pay when I got back from the museum since I had a fair number of won and I didn't know how much I would spend that morning. The front desk manager, in front of a large number of people, told me that this was not possible since he could not be sure I would not return to pay my bill. I pointed out that I was leaving my luggage and computer. He finally relented--but he embarrassed me as others heard him accuse me of likely not paying my bill (and, of course, they had my credit card on file as well).

Management might reply that I complained about a wake up call when I should not have done so. I admit that my watch was not set correctly and I apologized. But this doesn't excuse the other problems with the hotel or the uncaring attitude of the management.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank trustscholar

Thank you very much for your constructive comments regarding your stay with us.

All your comments have been reported to our management, and all the corrective actions have been made accordingly and I would extend my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced with us.
To enhance the satisfaction for our guests all staffs are committed to improving the services.

Thank you again for your bringing these matters to our attention, and we, all our Koreana Hotel, associates will truly welcome you again.

Min Young Lee / Manager on duty