“Ok, but...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hotel PJ Myeongdong
Ranked #30 of 469 Hotels in Seoul
“Ok, but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The check in staff were courteous and efficient.
The room was large, quiet and well appointed.
The wi-fi was fast and free.
The location is not the best, I prefer Hongdae which is quicker to get to from the airport and has much better dining options and a youthful vibe.

The deal breaker is the fact that I asked for a non-smoking room and we got one that REEKS of cigarette smoke. Yes, it has a No Smoking sign in the room - right next to the provided ash tray. Neither of us could breathe properly when we woke up.
Will not use this hotel again for this reason.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Riggergirl
hotelpj7000, 제너럴 매니저 at Hotel PJ Myeongdong, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Riggergirl

First of all, thank you for your valued review after your recent stay at Hotel PJ.

We, all our staff, shared your review.
We think that at the moment we made a mistake.
We had to take care of your request but we didn’t do that.
We had no intension but because of it you went through the difficulty then we truly apologize about it.

We promise we will take care of all the comments and try our best for the guest’s satisfaction.
Thank you for your advice.

Hotel PJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed there for 7 nights. The hotel itself is nice and clean, and the staff are helpful and friendly. We like the daily replenishment of two bottled water, and they give us discount coupons for breakfast and coffee. The shuttle bus schedule and location maps in the room are helpful. Shuttle buses to and from Myeongdong and Dongdaemun are convenient.

Having said that, we find that it's a bit too warm in the room. It seems that the air conditioning is kept at a certain temperature and we can't lower the thermostat. So we're always sweaty in the room and can't get much of a cool down after the sticky heat from the outside. Also, the lack of counter space, hook or storage area in the bathroom is a great inconvenience.

Furthermore, we don't quite fancy the location. Dragging luggage from the airport shuttle bus stop in the heat through the dark alley is brutal, not to talk about arriving at night. There is no room service and we can't find any food outlets except for a convenience store around the corner for some not so fresh snack after arriving late at night from a long flight from Canada and feeling famished.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Felinecat
Dear Felinecat

It is pleasure to read your review on the tripadvisor website.
Thank you for your comment.

We are truly happy to help you out when you stayed in our facility.
If you satisfied with our amenity and shuttle bus service it's nice of us too.

However, we were really sorry about our air-conditioning system.
We know how hot it is especially summer season in Korea, we will discuss about it with our staff and try to upgrade ourselves.
If you went through difficulties then we truly apologized.

Thank you.
Hotel PJ
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are Ok but the hotel is nothing special. The front desk hotel is useless: we arrived before checkin time (longhaul flight) and they said "rooms are ready but rules are rules and you have to wait checkin time". No comment. Totally unprofessional. The cafeteria opens late and if you want to grab a walking-cappuccino, go to Paris Baguette. Location is central but the area is very scruffy!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paul C
Dear Paul C

Good day!
Thank you for choosing 'Hotel PJ' for your recent accommodation in Seoul.
We were delighted to help you out when you stayed in our facility.

However, if you went through some difficulties for our service then we politely apologized about it.
Also with your valuable advice, we will try to improve our service and consider about opening hour of our cafeteria.
Thank you for your advice.
Once again, we were really sorry about inconvenience.

Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was my first time to visit Korea and stayed in Hotel PJ for 3 nights. I am so glad that my choice of Hotel PJ is definitely correct and wise. The staff helped me with the luggage as I approaching and delivered the luggage with a kind of "luggage escalator", which was quite convenient. While checking in, the receptionist greeted me with a warm smile and fluent English; it made me feel they were well-trained and professional. As I entered the room, I found it beyond my expectation. Since I traveled alone, the double room is quite enough for me; but I think it would be comfortable for two people as well. It was equipped with a coffee machine, coffee table, tea set, large closet, large vanity etc. anything you can think of. Although the view from my room was not so good (at day), I still felt at home and satisfied with the whole room. The cleaning staff was dutiful too; even if I pressed the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign, they would still leave a message and inform me the service they could provide. Overall, the experience in Hotel PJ was almost perfect and was plus to my trip in Seoul. I will choose Hotel PJ next time if I decide to stay around 을지로 area and will definitely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jojo_ccc
hotelpj7000, 제너럴 매니저 at Hotel PJ Myeongdong, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Jojo_ccc

Thank you for your valued review after your recent stay at HOTEL PJ.

We were happy to meet you and helped you out during your stay.

Also we're grade to hearing that you were satisfied with our service and facilities.

For all our customers, we keep trying to upgrade ourselves.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again.

Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

People are very friendly ,service is good. And the space is very big. I stayed there by myself. It was a really good time. Their breakfast is excellent . I will go to this hotel next time . I wish they can have a fitness center though

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Peypeymeng

Thank you for choosing us when you visited in Seoul.

We were happy to spend time with you. Also we're delighted that you were satisfied with our service.

We'll keep trying to improve ourselves.

And based on your opinion, we'll consider about having a fitness center in our hotel.

Thank you for your thoughtful advice.

Anyway, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.

canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway with a friend. I was really impressed with the hotel. From the moment your luggage is taken up the conveyor belt entrance, to check in with the friendly efficient front desk staff, to entering your room; you feel genuinely welcomed.
We were given a suite on the Lady's floor and it was a treat. The little touches like the face masks and Aveda toiletries plus having the air purifier, and espresso machine was an extra luxury that made our stay special.
The beds were comfortable and clean. We enjoyed having the large balcony with the skyline of Seoul's skyscrapers as a postcard backdrop.
The area while on a quiet back street, is close to all the places you'd want to be near to. A plethora of cafes and restaurants are nearby and it is a walkable distance to the subway and airport bus stop.
We used the hotel shuttle many times as it was convenient and quick. The reception staff were knowledgable and eager to assist.
Our stay in this hotel made our time in Seoul an unforgettable one.
I would definitely return here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear mahogany76

Greetings from HOTEL PJ Seoul, Korea

Thank you for staying with us and writing down valuable review on this website.

We are delighted that you seemed to be having a great time with us.

We continually improve ourselves for our guests' satisfaction so if you have any plans to visit Seoul again, chose our hotel and make great memories with us.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Book this hotel, family triple for a 8 days 7 night stay. Overall, I would give it a thumbs up for its service, amenities, room and accessibility. Will I ever book this hotel again?

A definite, YES!

Staff here are really very friendly and helpful to us even after we have check out. They greeted us every morning, with a sincere and genuine smile, passionate to help every guest with any queries. Their pro-activeness really make us felt like royals living in a palace, which is rather rare in modern hotels.

Amenities are abundant, which includes having different cups for different beverages found inside the hotel room. Three different cups to be exact ( tea cups, coffee cups & cold beverage cups). Nespresso machine for easy coffee making was a nice touch, as it is often found in boutique hotels. Sewing kit can also be found in drawers and replenish everyday. In this country which prides itself in cosmetics and beauty, this hotel also do provide facial cleanser and facial mask, which makes our stay even more convenient! ( Do note that the facial mask are just given one time during the whole stay.)

The free shuttle service stop at popular destinations are one of the factors that I choose this hotel. This added convenience really make the hotel my top choice, when I am in Seoul. ( Do note that the bus is a mid sized one, therefore I recommend you to be there at the entrance 10 minutes before departure, to avoid having no seat).

There is also a mini mart at the first floor which provided us with a lot of convenience as it is open 24 hours. There are also many restaurants nearby which are cheap and delicious. Many store owners do know how to speak both chinese and korean, which is a plus point.

On the down side, beds are very hard and there is also a odd shaped pillow that I felt was kind of useless as it always roll out of bed. Soundproofing is a little bad as we could hear people that lived the same level as us closing or opening their door.

However, for the price that i paid it was more than worth the every cent. Really satisfied and felt that it was luxury that I could never had imagine.

Room Tip: Do note that the Thermostat will always put the temperature at about 27 degrees which most of the ti...