“Old rooms but comfortable enough”

Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas
Ranked #25 of 529 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't exactly wowed by this place but the service was very good and everything functioned as it should.

As the title indicates, the rooms (or at least mine) are jolly tired and could do with renovation, which I believe is happening soon.

The hotel was opened in time for the 1988 Olympics - and it definitely has a bit of that late '80s vibe about it, with lots of dark wood and black marble.

Overall: is perfectly fine and would be happy enough staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank golfer78
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, much appreciated.

As you have mentioned, In our ongoing endeavour to provide our customers with a higher level of service and enhanced facilities, some areas of our hotel are currently in the midst of remodelling works however will all come back on line, bigger and better than before, beginning in November of this year.
Further details in relation to the works are also available on our website.

If it is a more modern feel that you are looking for I would suggest trying our sister property located only 10 minutes walk from the Grand InterContinental but still connected via both the Coex Mall and the Coex Convention Center, the two properties certainly have a different feel and client base and you may find this is more to your personal liking.

That said, I do hope that should you return to Seoul after that time that you will again choose one of our InterContinental hotels both conveniently located in Seoul's famous Gangnam district.

Thanks again and best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

At first I was very pleased with this hotel. I had a quiet room on a non-smoking floor, which I requested by email before arrival. There was a great view (29th floor) and the furnishings and fittings are all very nice. There is a good range of food at breakfast, including both western and Asian options. There were renovations going on, but there was no actual disturbance from them- the only minor issues being the closure of the swimming pool (which I didn't want to use anyway) and the closure of the tunnel into Coex mall (which meant an extra 200m easy stroll). The internet connection was strong and fairly quick.

However, the second night into my stay, cigarette smoke came pouring in through the air conditioning vent. I rang the front desk, and the response was to send someone up with some air freshener. Not really good enough, when the one thing I'd asked for was a smoke-free room. My end of the corridor seemed to still have a smell the next day and visiting friends of mine confirmed the strong smell in my room. Having said that, when I approached the front desk again about it the next day they were very helpful in arranging a new room, which was on an even higher floor with a better view. It was a slightly smaller room, but everything else was the same (but less smoky!)

All in all, I would recommend this hotel, which has very good amenities, helpful staff and is located very close to Coex and to Samseong station, but I would also recommend speaking up if you ask for a non-smoking room and it smells of smoke.

• Stayed: June 2013
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent good review of our hotel, much appreciated.

I was pleased to hear that the current works taking place have not caused too many disruptions to your visit as the team here are doing everything they can to ensure we minimize any inconvenience to our guests.

Apologies for the inconvenience you did experience during your stay and I will send you a separate private email to collect more information from you to try and determine why this has occurred.

As you have highlighted, we always encourage our guests to contact our Duty Manager if you are having any issues or problems as their role is to ensure that your stay is a comfortable and relaxing one.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will share this with all the team.

Thank you once again for your great feedback and review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas sometime in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Excellent hotel, best location in Seul, Near of convention center COEX mall, a big metro station, etc. Hyundai stores restaurants, direct KAL bus to airport, It is in remodelation and there are some noise, but not is a important problem. Bad : A hotel like this: have you to pay Internet? Ridiculous.Seul is a city with free internet in every corner. An excellent staff, full of kindness

Room Tip: All rooms quiet and clean.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent good review of our hotel, much appreciated.

I was pleased to hear that the current works taking place have not caused too many disruptions to your visit and the team are doing everything they can to ensure we minimize any inconvenience to our guests.

Our hotel will be offering free Internet to our loyal IHG Rewards Elite members from July the 1st which unfortunately you have missed out on this visit, however next time should you return to Seoul you will find that we will be offering this service in all the public areas and in the rooms.

If you are not already I would suggest that you join the IHG Rewards program to start earning your way to free stays and more importantly, free Internet usage during your stay.

Thanks again for your positive feedback on our hotel and team members and we do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The staff were helpful and the rooms were nice and big, but the bed was a bit too hard (and I like hard beds). The lobby was under renovation and was not able to walk underground to the adjacent shopping centre because of that. Excellent location in terms of accessibility via the KAL Limousine Bus. Not much Korean food around the area, but the food court in the adjacent Hyundai Department Store is great. I would probably choose to be in the thick of things, but it is close to COEX as well, which is good for conferences.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel much appreciated.

Our location is really second to none and with so many local attractions, many within walking distance and all easily accessible, our hotel truly is a great place to base yourself whilst here in Seoul.

As you have mentioned, In our ongoing endeavour to provide our customers with a higher level of service and enhanced facilities, some areas of our hotel and the underground access to the mall are currently in the midst of remodelling works however will all come back on line, bigger and better than before, beginning in November of this year.
Further details in relation to the works are also available on our website.

I do hope that should you return to Seoul after that time that you will again choose the Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas and take the opportunity to experience our new and improved facilities.

Thanks again and best Regards,

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Dark and dated decor was a shock. The hotel felt like a cave, and while I am glad to learn that they are undergoing desperately-needed renovations, I wish I had been notified of this fact when booking. The bathrooms were old, ugly, and needed a serious upgrade. Rooms were dark dark dark. I attended an event at their sister hotel, the Intercontinental Coex, which looked much nicer. Service at the Grand Parnas was fine but not outstanding. I'd either stay at the Coex or investigate other hotels on future trips to Seoul.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and team members, much appreciated.

As you have highlighted, In our ongoing endeavour to provide our customers with a higher level of service and enhanced facilities, some areas of our hotel are currently in the midst of remodellng works however our hotel will continue to open and operate as normal with further details if required being available on our website.

I was disappointed that we were unable to reach and notify you prior to your visit as where possible we have tried to contact all our guests with bookings during this time with the offer of moving their bookings to our sister hotel the InterContinental Seoul, Coex and can only offer you my apologies for your disappointment.

We are very much looking forward to our new public areas which will begin to come back online from November of this year and we do hope that should you return to Seoul that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Thanks again and regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I booked my stay a few months ago and I was not told that the hotel would be undergoing renovations. I found out through tripadvisor a few days before my due stay. I called the central Intercontinental reservation line who advised me in turn to call the hotel. The hotel telephone line was always busy or disconnected so I took the risk.
The staff are extremely polite. Their English is not that great for a Grand hotel though. The room was extremely spacious, clean and comfortable. The view was a giant crane.
The hotel restaurants are okay and pretty basic with extremely high prices for what is offered on the menu. The department store next door Hyundai has an excellent food court on the top floor which is much better value for money, and the variety is much better too.
The temporary gym was tiny and badly ventilated.
The Intercontinental COEX was a much better option.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side face a large construction at the moment, so choose north facing rooms.
1  Thank xraydr
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

As you have highlighted, In our ongoing endeavour to provide our customers with a higher level of service and enhanced facilities, some areas of our hotel are currently in the midst of remodelling works however our hotel will continue to open and operate as normal with further details if required being available on our website.

Our sister InterContinental Seoul, Coex located just 10 minutes walk from the Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas offers the same high level of services and facilities and would love to welcome you during your next stay should you feel inconvenienced by the remodelling works at the Grand.

My apologies for you having not been notified about our upcoming works, in fact where possible depending on the information we had at hand we attempted to contact all customers who had made previous bookings with us in advance to advise them of the upcoming work and offer to move their booking to our sister property or find a suitable alternative, sorry for not being able to contact you and advise you of this in advance.

I will definitely share your feedback with our team in relation to the fitness room and the allocation of the rooms as you have mentioned in your review to ensure we minimize the disruption to our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that should you return to Seoul that you will again choose the InterContinental to share and experience our new and improved facilities in the future.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Professional check-in and bell service. Clean modern quiet and very comfortable upscale rooms. Extremely comfortable bed. Rooms have some very nice amenities, my favorite, the heated toilet seat! Good Wi-Fi.

Please be sure to request smoking or non-smoking. My first room was on a smoking floor and it was pretty bad, for me a non-smoker. The non-smoking floor is excellent.

If you're participating in a meeting at the COEX, there's no better location or hotel.

Room Tip: Unlike many hotels around the world, there are still smoking and non-smoking floors. Please be sure...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent great review of our hotel and team members, much appreciated.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas sometime in the near future.

Best Regards