“possibly my favorite hotel”
Review of Grand Hyatt Seoul

Grand Hyatt Seoul
Ranked #71 of 505 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed May 6, 2013

the location and resulting views are absolutely amazing. I was here on pleasure, not business at all, so I wasn't concerned with how fast I could get to a meeting or anything like that, so I can't speak to issues some other reviewers have had. I didn't experience any problems with the service either, but we didn't order room service or anything extra except a step down transformer/power converter to run an american blow dryer.

The hotel sits on the side of Namsan, the mountain where the North Seoul Tower stands. You can literally walk across the street to Namsan Park, actually you don't even have to walk across the street, there's a bridge over the street connected to the hotel, and hike through the park, which is absolutely gorgeous, all the way to the tower. At the foot of the hotel is a hip little area of restaurants and bars and cafes if you don't want to pay the exorbitant prices at the hotel.

The hotel is expensive. Rooms are in the $300 range it looks like, minibar beers are over $10 for the cheapest one, and you can get set menu meals at some of the restaurants for two to three hundred dollars a head. I stayed there using points, so it wasn't a big deal, but I would probably pay to stay there again, I liked it so much. The room was really beautiful, the whole property is gorgeous actually, but I think the view and location is the selling point for me. You can get rooms on the river side but the hotel isn't actually on the river, and you can see the river views from the lounges and patios so I think it's actually a better idea to get a room on the Namsan side so you can see the mountain from your room. The view of the mountain and the city, especially at night with everything lit up, is quite spectacular.

The bed was very good, the robes were okay, the minibar was okay, the bathroom was pretty good, they only have 220v outlets but they will provide transformers, and I would give the executive lounge very high marks. In fact I would go so far as to say that it would be foolish to stay without getting one of the club level rooms or whatever they call them, with access to the executive lounge. I'm not sure but it looked like the price difference was about $40 per room, but in the lounge you get free unlimited breakfast in the morning, coffee/tea/snacks during the day, and then cocktails and finger foods in the evening. It's very comfortable with reading material and the aforementioned spectacular views, and you can save money by just having your half a dozen or so beers or whiskey and cokes or whatever in the lounge while admiring the better view as opposed to one of the ground level bars or something off the property.

In summary, my wife loved the place, as did I, and we can't wait to stay there again.

Room Tip: I recommend a mountain view room as opposed to a river view, but the most important thing is to get...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand_Hyatt_Seoul, Guest Experience Manager at Grand Hyatt Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your detailed review and kind words regarding your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Seoul. We were delighted to read your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Seoul. I have shared your review with our staff which is a source of great encouragement and motivation.

We thank you for so thoroughly touching on almost every aspect of the service we provide. We look forward to hosting you again, as there are still many other dimensions to Grand Hyatt Seoul we would encourage you to discover.

Thank you again for your review.

Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,293)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My first trip to Korea with a friend was amazing! We chose to stay at the Grand Hyatt located near the Seoul Tower and it was because we wanted a location that was near Seoul but not too expensive. The Grand Hyatt IS expensive... but you also get what you pay for and it's beautiful on the inside.

Like most hotels in a central location and metropolitan city, the rooms are HUGE. We got a standard room with two double beds. Wasn't too high up but we got a nice large window with a view of Seoul and their swimming pool area. The room was exactly like their corporate photos and very modern/clean and with mirrors to make it look more spacious. There's actually very little space and my friend and I had difficulties fitting our suitcases somewhere without taking up walking space. The closet is also small so we couldn't put it there.

There's no desk but there's a wide glass ledge that comes out of the window for you to set up laptops, food etc. The washroom also isn't the largest, but enough for a single person. We couldn't both be in the washroom at the same time. Staff was also accommodating since we didn't know Korean... they tried to explain as much in English as possible and we had to use our rusty Japanese/Mandarin a lot of the time. They DID give us a taxi card though in case we had to get back to the hotel and the taxi driver didn't understand English (which they usually didn't).

Overall I love the hotel! I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for WALKING distance to shops and restaurants,but it's a lovely stay with friendly service. Stands up to its name and you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Seoul Tower or city Seoul would be ideal. If you have a large family, defin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Grand_Hyatt_Seoul, Guest Experience Manager at Grand Hyatt Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Grand Hyatt Seoul. We very much appreciate your kind words. We especially want to thank you for your “Beautiful Luxury Hotel- Recommended” endorsement. Comments like yours are a wonderful motivation for all of our staff, including myself. We have shared your comments with all our departments and will take your constructive comments seriously so that we may better serve you on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Thank you again.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Very beautiful landscaping that's situate at the top of a hill overlooking the the city. Shuttle bus provided to the Itaewan MTR station every hour. If you miss the it, you have to wait for another hour for the next bus. Walking will take 15 minutes but it's worth taking a chance coz there are many posh houses that'll attract you along the way. Bty, taking a cab is not costly in Seoul. The stardand room size is about 28m n fixe me well although I had requested for a deluxe but was fully taken up. The view from my room is fantastic! Never miss the the indoor pool n gym.

Room Tip: Request for city view n not the river view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Just for your information, there are green city buses right outside our property that depart every 10-15 minutes to the subway station. We hope to welcome you back again soon, so you can discover even more about Grand Hyatt Seoul and the beautiful city of Seoul.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The most beautiful view from any hotel in Seoul, coupled with luxurious rooms and great service. The best place to stay in Seoul, though at a price.

Don't worry about centrality, the cabs in Korea are cheap and run all day and night.

Room Tip: Face the city scape, you won't regret paying for the beautiful view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind review of Grand Hyatt Seoul. We were thrilled with your comments on “The most beautiful view from any hotel in Seoul”. We too are very thankful for our unique location and are very pleased that our guests, like you, share this feeling.
Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Seoul.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

İ spent 3 daya for a business trip in Seoul, gangnam district, 30minutes away when rush hour. So it is not advisable if you are to have your meetings in business district.
Hotel management was not helpfull in assisting me in finding back my camera... Security manager listened me for a few momemt, before explaining me that there is no security camera, or when there is one, for confidentiality issues, they dont record plates, bla bla... [--] of course... İ know quiet well how it goes... So we can state that the sucirity lacks efficiency... Be aware of.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your honest review of Grand Hyatt Seoul. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We have reported your comments to our Security Department, but to research this incident further we will require more specific information. As this is not the appropriate forum to exchange such information, could you kindly email us all the detailed information at seoul.grand@hyatt.com so we may investigate and report back to you, privately.
Please accept our sincerely apologies, and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel is a good business hotel. For an expensive hotel, I'm surprised at the sloppy service. I ordered room service late after a long day at work and before a very early start to the next day. Room service forgot my order and only realized it when I called to check on it 45 minutes later. I finally got the sandwich I ordered, but by then it was past midnight. In other hotels they try to make up for the slip in some way - nothing here. Not a gesture at all.

The room I was in had the power outlets located in a corner under the desk. You can't find them with out mounting a search mission and then crawling under the desk to plug in your devices. Whoever designed the location was not thinking of the user experience at all.

The rooms are small, bathrooms functional, the place is comfortable enough. Great mountain views and taxis are easy to get. It is perfectly adequate and despite the irritations I would go back. There is no option to rate this a 3.5 but that's what I would give it -somewhere between average and very good

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time and honest feedback of your stay at Grand Hyatt Seoul. First of all, we apologise for the unsatisfactory service you experienced. We have reported your dining comments to our Room Service team and your observations on our power outlet locations to our engineering department, as this feedback is important for our future improvement. We sincerely apologise for these inconveniences. We will do our best to make sure that such incidents do not reoccur. We look forward to your return visit so we may regain your trust in Grand Hyatt Seoul’s high standards of quality service.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is expensive by Asian standards. But then again, most decent hotels are in Seoul. And for anyone who travels around Asia frequently, you would know that Asian standards are quite high in terms of cleanliness, service, and quality of rooms. The hotel is pretty well situated close to a lot of the major areas that you would want to visit and the shuttle bus is very helpful, and so are the staff manning the concierge desk if you were looking for ideas for things to do and needed advice. However, the rooms are small for what you pay; i.e. I could have gotten a private villa with a swimming pool on a beach in Bali at a 5-star hotel for what I paid. I was disappointed with the rooms. The beds were not comfortable and the bathroom lacked a bathtub, only a shower, and it was small. They also had a nice bar area called JJs, but again, you will need to dish out a lot of cash if you were to spend a decent night out. I was very happy with the eateries around the hotel as well, which was flagged by the staff at the concierge. But what disappointed me was that after they sold me a ticket for a shuttle back to the airport, I asked if it would be ok if we waited in the lobby till it comes and if they would alert us when it does, and they said that it was fine. The bus came and went and there was no alert, and I got furious because the bus didn't even stop and they put us in a taxi to send us to the next location where the bus was heading and said that they would arrange for the bus to wait for us. A hotel in Asia would do this for free but they didn't even offer to pay for the taxi ride as it was their fault. Maybe I have high expectations, but again travelling around Asia you know that service is quite highly valued.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand_Hyatt_Seoul, Guest Experience Manager at Grand Hyatt Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your candid review. I very much appreciate your comments about your stay at Grand Hyatt Seoul. We apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We have alerted the departments responsible for such activity to insure that there is not a repeat of this situation. Once again, we deeply apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope that we have the opportunity in the future to regain your trust and better meet your expectations.

Thank you.