“Impressive”

Imperial Palace Seoul
Ranked #28 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Came here on a business trip, had room arranged by conference. Room spacious, altough I like a softer mattress. Prob just Korean likes/dislikes. Comfortable otherwise. Grill had great food but very expensive. $25 for a hamburger. Real treat was live morning wakeup callDesk, Concierge very helpful Morning breakfast wonderful. Try the omlet made with chop sticks!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank samtrip12345
IPSEOUL, Guest Relations at Imperial Palace Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be comfortable and spacious.

Also, glad to hear that you enjoyed our food. Our hotel is well-known for its high quality of food. Our outdoor Garden Terrace will open this week and will stay open until the end of summer, so be sure to try it during your next visit.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Palace Seoul again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

They charged me US$30.00 for two hard boiled eggs and one apple - must have been laid by the hen that lays golden eggs! Completely unreasonable and I told them so at check out. Managed to begrudingly get 50% of the charge as they hadn't told me how ridiculously expensive that simple order would be. I was told that it was quite all right to charge me that amount. Really!!

Couldn't sit in the main lobby without being asked to buy a drink, again at extortionate prices, so had to move even if I was waiting 3 minutes for a car to take me to a meeting. And no one was sitting there anyway.

Went to use the gym and you had to pay to use the sauna.

In the end felt like I'd spent 2 nights on a low budget airline where they try and rinse you for every $ possible.

Left and stayed at another hotel for last night.

Other that that nice rooms and quite a nice 'old school' vibe.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jimmy D

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul.

We were so sorry to hear that you didn’t have a more positive experience during your stay with us.
Regarding the issues that you mentioned, we have spoken with the staff about better informing guests of prices when items that are ordered are not listed on the menu.
Also, we have spoken with our Lobby Lounge staff and asked them to be more flexible with guests needing a place to wait for their colleagues.
As for the sauna, this is only included in the room cost of club rooms. If you should choose to stay with us again in the future I would advise a club room. This room type would include complimentary use of the sauna and breakfast, day snack, and happy hour in the evenings. Additional club benefits can be found on our website.
I thank you taking the time to share your feedback and hope that you decide to try our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at the Imperial Palace hotel Seoul in March for 4 nights with families. My daughter has pneumonia in the evening of first day. I'm very helpless and I called hotel then. Their Duty Manager Paul Wang and a driver drove us to the nearest hospital at the first time for free. And my spoken English is not good and Paul is very patient to us and guide us to each stop of hospital and translate korean to English to me from doctor. He company with me the whole process in hospital. His patient and courtesy make me very impressive. The next day the hotel gave me a greeting card and a basket of fruit and left a message that they're happy to help me and please let them know if I need further help. My daughter is better when we left this hotel and I'm very graceful for that. It's so lucky to meet Paul and stay here in Seoul.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy Y
IPSEOUL, Guest Relations at Imperial Palace Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul!

I am so glad to hear that your daughter is feeling better. Also glad to hear that our Duty Manager, Paul Wang was so helpful to you and your family during your stay.
Mr. Wang is a very caring man and always does his best to assist guests in any situation. He too was so glad to hear that your daughter is feeling better and he was happy to assist your family.

Thank you for taking the time to share your praise of our duty manager. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Exremely courteous staff and very helpful when requesting information or directions but the hotel is aa little "aged" but amenities are first class. It was averaging 6 degrees outside at night but rooms were very warm and aircon would not switch on. I stayed 4 nights and had 5 breakfasts and every morning the same food was on offer (no variety). Extremely pricey so I would not recommend to dine or drink in the hotel as there are a few local bars within walking distance at a third of the price (24Hr shop a tenth of the price). A good hotel for a business trip but I would not recommend it for a holiday as the location is too far away from shopping malls and good restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BedrockB
IPSEOUL, Guest Relations at Imperial Palace Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul!

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you found our staff to be courteous and helpful during your stay.

Regarding the air conditioning, we only operate the heating system in the winter and early spring. Once it starts to warm up outside we activate the air conditioning system. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. Next time if you should stay with us please let us know if you are uncomfortable and we will do our best to assist you.

As for the morning breakfast, I have spoken with the head culinary advisor to see if some variations can be made to the breakfast buffet.

Next time you visit, please ask our staff for a local map with restaurant listings and information. The staff would be happy to recommend some nice options within walking distance and in the Gangnam area (a 10-15 minute taxi ride).

The Gangnam area also has some great shopping areas including the COEX Mall, Rodeo Street, Garosu-gil and the Gangnam Station area. Our Concierge Staff has plenty maps and guide books so please let them know if you need anything.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Imperial Palace Hotel

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed at the Imperial Palace hotel Seoul in March for 6 nights, on a business trip.
This hotel looks old and is located a bit far away from the best areas of Gagnam.

Highlights:
1. the rooms not facing the main road are quieter. I did not hear road noise during my stay.
2. Internet speed is good (I typically got 10 Mbps speed) and its access was included in the room rate.
3. the bus to Incheon airport stops in front of the hotel (15,000won, about 1hour drive).
4. there is a golf driving range in the hotel accessible for a fee  (it is about 30 meter long and has 10 tees).

lowlights

- rooms look old, averagely maintained and kitsch,

- bathrobes and towels are worn out and need replacement,

- hot water in the bathroom is extremely hot, to the point that if you are not careful you risk to get burned. This is made worst by the fact that the hot water knob works in a counter-intuitively manner: you need to turn it clockwise for opening.

- at breakfast the coffee refill was not done automatically by the waitress, I always had to ask for it.

- the laundry service returned me a shirt with stains.

- the taxis waiting at the hotel are mostly the more expensive black taxis (start rate at 4500won) rather than the regular ones (2500won). I suggest that you wave for an orange or grey taxi on  the main road (provided you have the address written in Korean).

overall I found that the Imperial Palace hotel is too pompous and old and has several annoying defects. It will not be on my short list for my future stays in Seoul.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Alberto L

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul.

First I would like to thank you for your feedback. Valuable feedback like yours helps us to serve our guests better and improve our services.

We were glad to hear about the highlights you mentioned. I see you noted our driving range. If you like sports, I hope that you also had time to check out our state-of-the-art gym. If not, be sure to stop by on your next visit!

As for some of the other points you mentioned, I have spoken with our Housekeeping Department and they will be reviewing our current stock of bathrobes/towels and also checking the water temperature in bathrooms.

I sincerely apologize for problem you experienced with our laundry service. I hope that you pointed this out to our staff during your stay as we would have done our best to remedy this problem.

I have also spoken with our Café Manager to make sure that the staff is more attentive with the service.

Again, I thank you for your feedback and hope that you consider visiting us again.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Imperial Palace hotel is highly regarded in Seoul. It is a somewhat aging five star with good services overall but sadly in need of coming into the new century.. Everything is expensive in the hotel so beware and do not expect to get a cheap glass of wine or even a reasonably priced coffee.

Room Tip: If you can afford them, the club lounge provides the better services
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IPSEOUL, Guest Relations at Imperial Palace Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul.

We are glad to hear that overall you find our services to be good. During your next stay consider staying in one of our Club Rooms. Club guests have complimentary use of our Club Lounge with free coffee and tea throughout the day and a happy hour in the evenings with wine and beer.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

i was lucky enough to get a voucher to stay here for one night including dinner and breakfast, and i must say that it was a lovely experience. While the Imperial Palace is not the most modern hotel, it maintains an ambiance of classic luxury. The lobby is warmly lit and there are hotel staff always bustling about and eager to help. While i'm not the biggest fan of buffets, the Imperial had a dinner spread that had a great assortment of dishes while also arranging it all in such a way as to avoid it looking like a tacky lunch line. Also, the waitstaff was helpful and polite. The buffet included well-made Korean dishes as well as treats from other countries. As an American expat there, I found the selection of wine to be fairly adequate and food was tasty.

The room itself looked as if it had maintained its original layout from decades ago, but it was clean, and had all the trappings of old world splendor. Picture a room that James Bond (played by Sean Connery) might have stayed in. While the hallways have a bit of a smoky smell, even a sensitive person such as myself was not annoyed (but perhaps I might have been if I stayed for more than one night).

Breakfast after a good night's snooze on a comfy bed, was delightful. The buffet spread was just as good as the dinner one had been, and there were so many choices! My fiance and I were stuffed by the end.

The rest of the hotel is lovely, and a view of it from blocks away is a bit breathtaking. In a city where many buildings are not more than 10-15 years old, the Imperial Palace is a welcome anachronistic beauty. The clerk who handled our checkout was quite polite and it was impressive to learn that he spoke at least 7 languages effortlessly (we eavesdropped as he spoke to various hotel guests in their native tongues).

I've since left Seoul, but my memory of the Imperial Palace is always a fond one.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank resIpsaLoq

Greetings from the Imperial Palace, Seoul.

We are so pleased to hear that you and your fiancé enjoyed your stay with us!

Also glad to hear that you took advantage of our wonderful buffets. Next time you visit Seoul you may want to try our Italian restaurant – Verona. The private and cozy atmosphere would make for a lovely dinner date with your fiancé.

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments and we hope to welcome you back when you return to Seoul.