“Nice hotel but far from city centre” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Walkerhill Seoul

Grand Walkerhill Seoul
Ranked #112 of 469 Hotels in Seoul
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice hotel but far from city centre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights for a conference. Was greeted on arrival by hotel's airport tranfer service and took about an hour to reach the hotel. Checking in was a breeze and was upgraded to a junior suite as they ran out of deluxe rooms :-). Service was good and they have a 'no tipping policy'. Room was nice and spacious with the usual amenities. Wifi / cable Internet was expensive though (approx 24,000 won per 24 hrs); a better choice would be to rent an iPhone with data plan or WiBro egg from KT at the airport when you arrive ([--]). They have quite a number of restaurants but expensive. The hotel is however located quite far from the city centre/ tourist area and A trip to city centre takes about 30mins by taxi and costs approx 22000-24000 won. Would not have stayed here if not for the conference and would have chosen a hotel nearer the city.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

they upgraded us to a junior suite with a queen and a twin bed, including a robe and slippers for a little kid, very cute. Nothing around the area except for a casino, but they do provide hourly free shuttle service into the center of the city.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Grand Walkerhill for a wedding for two nights from the 2nd of October.
After the wedding we were planning on going down to Jeju for two nights.
Because of the holiday season we were having difficulty booking accommodation.
Because this was taking so long we asked Mr choi too-hwan at the club lounge to help us book some flights while we were booking the accomodation.
We were 4 adults and 2 chidren. He had never done this before but set straight to the task and did it with precision.
We were running out of time as we had the wedding that day and as we still had not found suitable accommodation I asked Mr choi too-hwan if he could also book some accommodation for us.
What a relief this was as we were really struggling working out Korean websites and also finding no availabilty.
Mr choi too-hwan thank you for your great service.
Having everything done allowed us to enjoy the wedding.
All bookings were done to perfection.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenny K, Manager at Grand Walkerhill Seoul, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear . Guest
First of all thanks a lot for your compliments. It's our pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful stay at Sheraton Grande Walkerhill. Your compliments motivate us to continuously strive for providing the best service to our guests.

We definitely look forward to welcoming you when you visit Korea in the future!

With warmest regards,
Jenny Kim
MarComm team
Brookline, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Particularly if you are staying on one of the club floors (12 to 16) this is a really nice hotel. The club itself does a really fine breakfast buffet, with American style breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and some days it has pancakes. It also has cereal and juices as well as a number of Korean dishes. In the evenings it has 'happy hour' with drinks and snacks. Good enough that I didn't bother with dinner some nights. It has a health club with a gym and a pool that you can actually swim in! My small sample of rooms (one) was quite favorable with a big room, a bathroom with both a tub and a shower, a desk with enough space to get things done on and two beds (one big one and one middling size one). It even had a second toilet. Magnificent view of the river, looking northeast. Of course some rooms look the other way, toward the mountain. There are several restaurants on the property, including two very good Korean restaurants, a lobby bar and light meal place, a Japanese restaurant and a 'European' restaurant on the 16th floor.
The place is expensive for most business travelers and the charge for Internet is quite high, but if you are on a club floor, access is free if you go to the club room on the 17th floor.
They run a frequent free shuttle bus to two nearby subway stations. The Seoul subway is excellent, and the machines that sell tickets have an 'English' button that makes using the system easy. They also run an hourly free bus downtown (Walkerhill is a bit to the east of downtown Seoul).

Room Tip: Rooms on the Northeast side face the river and the highways along the river. Rooms on the other side...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

the bedrooms have a dark gloss finish which makes using the full length mirror hard due to lack of light - that was irritating. Other than that a first class business hotel with excellent service. It can be a little noisy with shopping parties from Japan chatting loudly in the corridors. In house restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenny K, MarComm Manager at Grand Walkerhill Seoul, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Customer

We thank for your choice of Sheraton Grande Walkerhill to spend your precious time and experience with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can receive.

I do apologize for your inconvenience you experienced with the hotel room and the noise in the corridors. We are actually in the process of discussing about this issue in order to provide our customers with more comfortable stays.

Your thoughtful and detailed feedback will be very helpful to improve our hotel indeed. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We will do our best to provide you the excellent service in which you can only experience with us at Sheraton Grande Walkerhill.

We wish you and your family to keep health and happiness.

Best regards,

Jenny Kim
MarComm Manager
Vashon, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Let me start this by saying that generally I love Sheraton Hotels. But, we spent 3 days here while my husband attended a conference and were hugely disappointed. We had been warned the rooms were small and they weren't wrong. The bathrooms were tiny and had no sound barrier between them and the room. My real disappointment was that there was nothing within walking distance to the Hotel so you were forced to pay their prices for food or take a shuttle bus and subway trip to find something else. Nobody should have to pay $12 for a cup of weak coffee that isn't even refilled. Ouch. We were and it wasn't a good experience. Just be warned if you decide to stay here... You will be overpaying for the experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joannedk
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the end of my June 2012 korea business trip and wanted to relax and gamble for my final 3 nights in Seoul.
Choose to stay here due to the Casino in the Hotel and for my SPG membership.
W hotel was just next door and I liked the Woo Bar at their hotel lobby where I take my drinks with my friends.

My 9th visit to Seoul but my First time that I stayed here.
Made a mistake of booking the Douglas room instead of the rooms at the Main Building.
Thought I was getting a better deal by choosing a cheaper room because I wanted to play at the Casino but didn't know that the casino was closer to the main hotel building.
Easy Fix, I Opted to Pay for the additional room cost in order to be transferred to the Main Building so the second and third nights were better.

The Main building Room was Nice and clean but was Small for a 5 star hotel.
The Bed was really soft and comfy but the hotel was fully booked at that time and they couldn't give me a king size bed and got the room with a twin bed instead.... sure No big deal.

Facilities were good and up to the standard of a 5 star hotel. with a casino and duty free shops so those were convenient.

Location is a bit far from everything but the hotel provided a free shuttle to Myeongdong and other locations. awesome No problem

Staff spoke excellent english and professional,
BUT I did encounter some discourtesy and rudeness with some of the FRONT DESK staff who made me feel unwelcome and with some of the DOORMEN who didn't even smile and looked angry all the time and looked at me like I couldn't afford to be a customer there.
My guess is that some of the staff are under trained in Hospitality and hate to say it (i could be wrong) but some have a superiority complex towards people like me who are Caramel skinned.

The staff who deserve my acknowledgement and praise are the young doorman, who was always friendly and greeted with a genuine smile. Even engaged in small talk and always asked how my day was or what was my plan for the day.
And The Bellhop, who showed me to my second room at the Main Building. He was excellent and courteous, did his best to have a friendly conversation with me while we were walking to my room and had great customer care service by apologizing for my bad experiences repeatedly. This guy was apologizing to me when it wasn't even his fault. That's who I call a real Team Player.

The only front desk staff that really made me feel welcome was the lady supervisor of the douglas building reception. She always had a warm smile and was very helpful. And acknowledged my presence by engaging in Small talk with the common courtesies and friendliness expected from a nice hotel.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, if I they improve their hospitality and customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo