“very good business hotel except..”

Grand Walkerhill Seoul
Ranked #75 of 497 Hotels in Seoul
Ireland
“very good business hotel except..”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

the bedrooms have a dark gloss finish which makes using the full length mirror hard due to lack of light - that was irritating. Other than that a first class business hotel with excellent service. It can be a little noisy with shopping parties from Japan chatting loudly in the corridors. In house restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Jenny K, MarComm Manager at Grand Walkerhill Seoul, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Customer

We thank for your choice of Sheraton Grande Walkerhill to spend your precious time and experience with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can receive.

I do apologize for your inconvenience you experienced with the hotel room and the noise in the corridors. We are actually in the process of discussing about this issue in order to provide our customers with more comfortable stays.

Your thoughtful and detailed feedback will be very helpful to improve our hotel indeed. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We will do our best to provide you the excellent service in which you can only experience with us at Sheraton Grande Walkerhill.

We wish you and your family to keep health and happiness.

Best regards,

Jenny Kim
MarComm Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vashon, Washington
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Let me start this by saying that generally I love Sheraton Hotels. But, we spent 3 days here while my husband attended a conference and were hugely disappointed. We had been warned the rooms were small and they weren't wrong. The bathrooms were tiny and had no sound barrier between them and the room. My real disappointment was that there was nothing within walking distance to the Hotel so you were forced to pay their prices for food or take a shuttle bus and subway trip to find something else. Nobody should have to pay $12 for a cup of weak coffee that isn't even refilled. Ouch. We were and it wasn't a good experience. Just be warned if you decide to stay here... You will be overpaying for the experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joannedk
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the end of my June 2012 korea business trip and wanted to relax and gamble for my final 3 nights in Seoul.
Choose to stay here due to the Casino in the Hotel and for my SPG membership.
W hotel was just next door and I liked the Woo Bar at their hotel lobby where I take my drinks with my friends.

My 9th visit to Seoul but my First time that I stayed here.
Made a mistake of booking the Douglas room instead of the rooms at the Main Building.
Thought I was getting a better deal by choosing a cheaper room because I wanted to play at the Casino but didn't know that the casino was closer to the main hotel building.
Easy Fix, I Opted to Pay for the additional room cost in order to be transferred to the Main Building so the second and third nights were better.

The Main building Room was Nice and clean but was Small for a 5 star hotel.
The Bed was really soft and comfy but the hotel was fully booked at that time and they couldn't give me a king size bed and got the room with a twin bed instead.... sure No big deal.

Facilities were good and up to the standard of a 5 star hotel. with a casino and duty free shops so those were convenient.

Location is a bit far from everything but the hotel provided a free shuttle to Myeongdong and other locations. awesome No problem

Staff spoke excellent english and professional,
BUT I did encounter some discourtesy and rudeness with some of the FRONT DESK staff who made me feel unwelcome and with some of the DOORMEN who didn't even smile and looked angry all the time and looked at me like I couldn't afford to be a customer there.
My guess is that some of the staff are under trained in Hospitality and hate to say it (i could be wrong) but some have a superiority complex towards people like me who are Caramel skinned.

The staff who deserve my acknowledgement and praise are the young doorman, who was always friendly and greeted with a genuine smile. Even engaged in small talk and always asked how my day was or what was my plan for the day.
And The Bellhop, who showed me to my second room at the Main Building. He was excellent and courteous, did his best to have a friendly conversation with me while we were walking to my room and had great customer care service by apologizing for my bad experiences repeatedly. This guy was apologizing to me when it wasn't even his fault. That's who I call a real Team Player.

The only front desk staff that really made me feel welcome was the lady supervisor of the douglas building reception. She always had a warm smile and was very helpful. And acknowledged my presence by engaging in Small talk with the common courtesies and friendliness expected from a nice hotel.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, if I they improve their hospitality and customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Silverkatana
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My Thai wife and I are on our first trip to South Korea. I booked this hotel for the first five nights. We are Platinum SPG and were upgraded to a suite with a wonderful view of the Hangang River. The suite was well appointed, with everything clean and working. Minor comment is that the bath towels seemed a little threadbare, might be worth the hotel looking to renew.

To be honest I didn't realise the hotel was so far out of Seoul. Might not have booked it if I had but we soon sorted out the transport options. The first two mornings we walked a kilometer down the hill and used the subway to get into the city. On the second day we caught the hotel shuttle bus from the subway back to the hotel. Obviously this service would save us the walk down but we enjoyed it. On our second last day we took the shuttle into central Seoul. We could have caught it back but chose a taxi. We found the taxis in Seoul to be reasonably priced but there is a language issue at times.

Back to the hotel. We enjoyed the Club Lounge on several occassions. Twice we could not be accommodated immediately for evening cocktails; it is peak season. On both occassions we were called back from our room within 20 minutes. The evening cocktails also offer sufficient food to make a light dinner. We took breakfast there on three mornings. Standard, limited range but enough to provide an adequate breakfast. Twice we asked to take breakfast in the main cafe downstairs. A voucher was promptly provided. An extensive breakfast is available in the cafe.

We had room service one night. Food arrived quickly and was very well presented. Was standard but again adequate fare. Maybe a bit expensive.

Only real issue we encountered was the laundry charges. It is outlandish, a least four times more expensive than I've encountered anywhere in the world. Seriously, you need to wonder how you could be charged more to launder a tailor made short sleeve shirt than you paid for it. The wife chose to hand wash.

We found the service in the hotel to be very good. The hotel also has a strict no tipping policy.

We will be back and happy to recommend this hotel, with maybe a word of caution regarding the laundry charges.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pohang, South Korea
Reviewed August 8, 2012

It was second visit after more than 10 years. Room was renewed and stone floor was clean. Room size is small but use of a space is good. The beds(twin) are comfortable and we had good sleep.
The location was away from the center of Seoul but it has good walking trails surrounded with woods and (relatively) fresh air in Seoul. It was OK to go to other place for there is a shuttle bus to subway station(Gangbyeong and Gwangnaru) every 10 minutes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank trippedonearth
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed here because I am a fan of Starwood hotels and also a member. It is a nice modern hotel that you would expect in the W hotels. It is away from the city center so taking taxi is a must to get to the subway. We didn't mind the commute but you'd like to be closer to public transportation then you should not stay here. The service is excellent. The breakfast can be a little pricy. We stayed on the top floor and our room was large and had panoramic view of the river and the city. Absolutely beautiful view and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Top floor at the end of the corridor