“"Happy I Stayed"”

Grand Walkerhill Seoul
Ranked #38 of 500 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed October 12, 2011

After reading through the reviews, I honestly contemplated changing my reservation, I'm pleased to say, it's good I stayed with it. Granted, it was not city centre but has amazing views of the Han River. Is it by a subway station? Not really but the Walkerhill area, has a shuttle that runs from 6:30 am to 11pm, every ten minutes! How can one argue with that? it was a wonderful provision to say the least. It shares the same space as the W hotel and the Paradise Casino as well. The hotel itself is a nice property with several restuarants and a ton of shops to keep you shoppers very happy. Beautiful lobby, with a huge tea and sitting area as well, not to mention there was a book room where one could enjoy books, tea and the lot if you wanted to. The staff spoke English, for those that were wondering, so I'm not sure why some folks said they did not, besides you are in another country so it might help to know a few local sentences and words to be polite but you will get along fine if not. Wonderful service from all, I mean how could I argue when the waiter removed the paper from my straw? Now that is some service...a great time for three nights, wonderful club room with privileges in the Club Lounge for breakfast and daily snacks and drinks. Once again, great staff and a very nice hotel if you don't mind being away from the CIty Centre, remember plenty of taxis and subway will get you there in 20 minutes!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Grand Walkerhill Seoul

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Honestly all the staff were friendly and exceedingly helpful even if their English wasnt so hot, but the hotel itself seems to be really poorly run. It is too bad the owners of this franchise dont take more pride in their hotel and bring it up to standard, certainly the staff are doing their best with what they are given.

As someone mentioned before, there is a bar/lounge that only serves 2 kinds of beer and red/white house wine. As I sat in the lounge trying to read my paper and have a beer, children ran amok, hordes of Chinese tourists were yelling at each other, and staff seemed flummoxed. Generally not what I would expect of a lounge in an int'l hotel.

The room was average, decent bed, and huge TV with only 3 English channels.

Too bad, this place has potential.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I was a guest of the hotel on Sunday evening, August 21. I had arrived on a Thai Airways flight from Hong Kong and had planned to use the hotel as a stopover for my flight to San Francisco the next evening. Although, it's a solid 90-minute drive, I thought I could use the hotel as a base for some light sight-seeing the next day. I had never been to Seoul. I had reviewed Trip Advisor posts and knew that there were two different buildings: the main building and the annex. Before I booked the hotel room, I contacted hotel reservations directly and asked them whether if I were to make a reservation, I'd be guaranteed a room in the main complex. They responded affirmatively and so I booked the room and called them back to let them know that I would be arrive as soon as I could.

I arrived at 11 pm whereupon I was curtly notified that there were "no rooms available" at the main Sheraton building and I was in the wrong building. I was directed outside where a car would take me to the annex. I lowered myself into the back seat of the car that took me to the annex. A small little reception area awaited me. The gentleman who received me was nice enough, in all fairness, but I was not happy upon seeing the condition of the annex. There was some hokey arts and crafts decoration at the front door and the building had a sad look and feel. Something akin to a mid-tier apartment building. I asked him whether the building had a gym, a restaurant, a bar, a business center? -- whereupon he told me that the building had none of these facilities. We had a cool exchange where I told him about my earlier conversations before booking the room and he assured me that there were no rooms in the other building and asked me whether I had an email documenting that I'd be in the main building.

I felt and explained that in order to be a five-star hotel, the hotel should have certain facilities which it did not. While there were "no rooms" in the main building, he had managed to find me one room. He called it an upgrade, and told me that if I wanted to stay in the main building, a surcharge of $100 USD would be levied -- even though the room category stayed the same. So instead of paying the $230 USD for the room in the annex, I'd have to pay $330. I didn't think this was fair, but had no recourse. I was not going to give them more money.

I was provided a room key and escorted to what would be my room. A porter opened the door for me and turned on the light. The faux-wooden laminate floor was worn by rollerboards and shoes. Its finish had been shorn off revealing its synthetic secret. The white wall were tinged with dirt. And there were two twin beds. The duvets were soiled.

I walked out the room, returned to the reception desk and told the staff that I wanted a complete refund since neither the hotel nor the room met my expectations. The gentleman got on the phone (presumably with a supervisor) and indicated that they could waive the $100 upcharge for staying in the main building. But it was done in a less than receptive manner. It was explained that they would move another guest who was scheduled to be in the room and give that person my room. This didn't make much sense given by this time it was after midnight.

I was driven back to the other building, wasn't received well, but took my belongings up to my room. Everything in the Sheraton was closed, so I meandered to the W, which was next door and had a cocktail (and breakfast the next morning). The W was only charging a little more than the $330 USD rate the Sheraton was charging for the room.

The next morning, I went to the concierge to see what I might do insofar as touristy things are concerned. It was about 9:30 AM and my flight left at 5 PM. I was told that it was best to relax at the hotel and take the shuttle bus to the airport at noon. So the 90-minute ride back and forth to Seoul were pointless.

I felt the hotel staff were less than forthcoming and I feel the hotel misrepresents itself to a number of guests who get pushed to the Annex.

Internet was available for a fee, but it wasn't WIFI enabled meaning that to hop on the internet required my walking over to the W next door which had complimentary WIFI.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank jamesgallen44
Reviewed August 17, 2011

hotel has at least two parts which gusts realise when they are accomodated in other than the main hotel building. it came as a surprise to me when i was sent to douglas house accommodation which is separate and 1km. away from main block. however transportation is very efficient in good luxury shuttle cars. staff of the hotel is just too good from world standards. as the hotel is on hill slope a good walk is rejuvinating though slightly tough.one must visit pizza hill for a nice eveninh drink and wonderful pizzaq.

Room Tip: luxurious rooms with a great view from douglas house.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Before I outline all of the issues, let me say that we are loyal SPG members, so this experience was very upsetting b/c I feel like we got ripped off by a friend. My son and I decided to stay here for the weekend to enjoy a little "staycation" while my husband was away. With all of the great ammenties listed on the site, we decided to remain loyal to SPG and say here instead of the Grand Hyatt (which is in a much better location). HUGE COSTLY MISTAKE!

Including taxes we paid 338,000KRW per night, which is ok if the hotel was as advertised.. Below are a list of the issues:

1. The room was very small and stark. The beds were so small that my arms or legs hung over. Unless you are 5'8 or smaller a room with 2 beds will not work.

2. The bathroom was like a modular unit. It was super tiny and the sink was in the middle of the kitchen area, which means putting on make-up or blow drying hair near your food...GROSS

3. The Lobby Lounge Area: THERE IS NO FREE INTERNET IN THE LOBBY. That is offensive for a hotel of this level in one of the most connected cities in the world. It was 24,000KRW for a 24hr access card. However, the W hotel which is so close it is almost connected to this hotel has free wireless in the lobby...unexplainable. Additionally, there was no tiered pricing system based on usage or stay length. There was only 1 option - the 24hr price. Very unsophisticated...

4. The Lobby Bar - THERE WAS NO REAL COCKTAIL MENU. What kind of lobby bar in a top hotel has no real cocktail menu?? Wine option = red or white. There was tea and coffee...(capuccino = 18,000KRW...insane)

5. THE POOL - THIS WAY BY FAR THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD AT A HOTEL IN MY LIFE. We stayed here b/c like the Grand Hyatt they advertised an outdoor pool.

a. when we arrived I was told that it would cost money to use the outdoor pool and the indoor pool was not available for children (The Grand Hyatt Pool is free for guests and the indoor pool can be used by kids)

b. The next morning, I called to find out what time the pool opened and was told 10am. At 10:20 we walked down to the pool area and it was all downhill from there. We had to pay 145,000KRW for my small son and myself to use the pool, which included a buffet lunch; however not getting the buffet was not an option despite the buffet area being fenced off with only 1 way to enter and a scanner system checking IDs.

c. The women told us we could only use the pool from 11am to 4pm??? NO ONE TOLD US ANYTHING LIKE THAT UNTIL I HAD MY SON AT THE FRONT GATE OF THE POOL...

d. We walked in and looked for towels which no one could help us find. The pool area is large with a children's area and an adult area. We walked to the adult pool so we could put our stuff down and wait until 11am when my son could swim. However a man came up and said we had to pay ANOTHER 45,000KRW if we wanted a seat near the pool. I was so upset and stressed that I literally almost started to cry. I had to take my son to the kiddie section and try find a seat.

e. We found out the following: 1. Towels are for rent 2. ALL KIDS UNDER 4'3 needed a lifevest which of course had to be rented 3. Everyone needed a swim cap which of course had to rented if you did not have one. AT NO POINT IN TIME DID ANYONE AT THE HOTEL TELL ME ANY OF THIS DESPITE ME TELLING THE WOMEN AT CHECK-IN THAT WE WERE THERE TO SWIM

This is NOT A FOREIGNER FRIENDLY ENVIORNMENT and it was a stressful experience. Next time we still stay at the Grand Hyatt, which is a much better value and in a much better location in the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank pdoebel
Reviewed July 31, 2011

What can go wrong with Sheraton Hotels? Besides, the photos posted on the Sheraton Grande Walkerhill website seems to suggest comfortable rooms with modern amenities. But I was proven wrong. It was a peak period due to the presence of an international conference held in Seoul and hotel rooms are all fully-booked, or at least that what the staff claimed when I complained that the non-smoking room which was given to me reeked of smoke. It was only after many phone calls to the reception that I realized that the hotel had just conveniently converted a few levels of the originally smoking rooms to non-smoking rooms overnight. And as I was told that there was no other rooms available in the originally non-smoking levels, I suggested the staff to leave me with one can of air freshner to spray into the room and hoped for the best. This however did not work and I could not get a good night sleep. It was only after many rounds of phone calls the next morning, that a room at the starwood preferred guest level was offered to me. The difference was stark. These rooms were obviously more comparable to other hotels (with the same or lower price tags). The outdated furnitures, stained carpets and hard-to-turn shower taps probably belonged only to the so-called "Deluxe rooms" not meant for starwood preferred guest and clubmembers.

It was the first time I stayed in a Sheraton hotel. It will be my last, at least in Seoul!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank hamstergirl
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was in this hotel for a conference and for the money paid this hotel is very bad.
Location is nestled off to the side out of the way of any of the major attractions that Seoul has to offer. Difficult access. Although they do have a shuttle, the schedule is not convenient and the drop off is not well placed.
Mostly people come here for the gambling.
The rooms are fairly sized, but the food was terrible. I was a bit put off by it.
Stingy room amenities. I spoke with a rep in the lounge Mr. Chae, Sung Chan and he was so misinformed about the use of meeting rooms there saying they close at 6pm, I wondered how they train their staff. Unlike other hotels, they only allow limited use of executive floor amenities.
In the lobby, there is very limited seating for those not wanting to have a drink. Most of the entry is dedicated to the restaurant.
I would not recommend this hotel at all for international travelers. Better to try the hotels in city center nearby a subway.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business