“One of Asia's truly great hotels.”

The Westin Chosun Seoul
Ranked #18 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“One of Asia's truly great hotels.”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I travel all over Asia, and I must say that this is one of the continent's truly great hotels. The service standard is superb; the rooms are impeccable (I love the in-room laptops); the room service is among the best I've ever tasted; but, above all, the hotel fitness club is simply the best I've ever visited. How can I sing its praises? Equipment is new and perfectly maintained; the shower and spa area is clean, spacious, and well-attended. Every possible accessory is available - from shorts, shirts, even shoes, to robes, and grooming products. Best of all, the Westin is actually a bit cheaper than the much inferior but more expensive J.W. across town. A great hotel - stay there is you can.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I have to agree with the comment dated 22 Nov... at the danger of repeating what has already been said I had no complaints WHATSOEVER with the hotel... Service was good...effecient staff all round....nice room...comfy bed...great location...clean..It really was a lovely hotel and it is THE hotel to stay in whilst in Seoul for sure ! Sorry for those travelers who found faults... you must have been unlucky !! Stay...Enjoy..Relax..Return !!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TheGeez
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Hotels like The Westin Chosun should be the benchmark for all other hotels. It was a pleasure staying here.

I cannot say enough about all the good things.

Location, a 1 minute walk from Myeongdong shopping area, 1 minute walk from Lotte Shopping World and Lotte Hotel. A 5 minute walk to one of the 5 palaces. Location is super central. Plenty of shopping, restaurants and attractions.

The hotel itself outdid themselves in terms of interior decor. The lighting, color combinations and furniture are truly appealing.

We arrived a day early and had to stay at a regular room as we had booked the deluce suite. The regular room was really good enough too. But the suite was something else.

The club lounge is a nice place to relax as coffee, drinks and snacks are served throughout the day while there is also an afternoon snack served for a couple of hours everyday. Excellent view of Seoul, plenty of books to read and 2 little lounges that have a TV for some personal space. I did not use the computers but there was also a small business area.

There are plenty of restaurants to choose from like Italian, all day buffet, Korean.
Room service was delicious.
As a club room guest, we had the option of either having breakfast in the main area (in the buffet restaurant) or in the club lounge. The club lounge selection is about 20% of the main buffet but its relaxing and less hectic.

The hotel itself is very successful as the lobby is always filled with people either checking in or out or walking in to attend a conference or eat at one of the restaurants. A very lively atmosphere.

Staff spoke English very well and were friendly at all times.
Courteasy umbrellas were provided when it rained.
Getting a taxi was also super easy as there was always a fleet of taxis pending down the street.

There is also an entrance to the underground so you could technically walk out the hotel, down the steps and then get to say Namdaemun Market and Gate without seeing daylight as the whole area is connected.

Rooms were of a good size. I have stayed at hotels with larger rooms (mostly here in the UAE) but the lack of largeness was made up completely with a very elegant choice of furniture and lighting. We also had a huge laptop (called desktop replacement @ 19 inches monitor haha) in the room for use. There was also a mobile in the room for complimentary use. I think we would be charged for outgoing calls but incoming were free.
Whats nice is that the suite rooms is located at the corner of the building, so from the bedroom we have the front view, while at the living room we have the side view.

We were also provided with a complimentary bottle of wine and a platter of fresh Cheese and fruits.

As I understand it, The Westin is a popular place for the Seoul elite to come for drinks, espresso at the Italian restaurant come cafe or to dine at Japanese Restaurant on the top floor.

I would highly recommend the hotel, sure its a bit expensive but well worth it.

The only issue we had was that the AC did not cool enough. The max temp was 24 C and we preferred 22 C. So after mentioning it to the hotel they sent up a mobile AC. Not a flimsy dingy fan but a mobile AC that is about 60cm high, 40 cm wide. A tube is attached to the window while closed (where it sucks in air) and then blows it out. This thing easily brought the temp down to 12 C one night.

Top class hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CorruptedSanity
South Korea
Reviewed November 2, 2009

1. Helpful staff. Chief complaint was that the conceirge was perpertually busy. I hope the hotel would have more than one staff attending to the desk.

2. We liked the location - a 5 minute walk takes you to Maenyoudong which leads to nice restaurants and shopping. Hotel staff very good at locating restaurants that you want to go and they have good maps.

3. Room was good, cosy enough for our young family. My only complaint that the top of the toilet was not properly cleaned - only saw it when we closed the toilet cover ( noticed it when we checked in but that was soon rectified). We like the free-twice-a day coffee maker.

4. Love the free internet access.

5. Only wish it wasnt so expensive!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
sacramento
Reviewed October 8, 2009

excellent help...great food , great club floor and we cannnot say enough.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed five nights in the Westin Chosun in August while visiting Seoul. The location is excellent for tourism. Shopping and restaurants in the area are abundant, and subway stations are a short walk away. We found the lobby staff to be very helpful with directions and advice. A map of the area around the hotel is available in the lobby, and it became our primary map for exploring the area. The hotel restaurants were expensive and so we ate in restaurants in the area. We tried to get breakfast one day in the lower level, but were frustrated by communication problems and went to Starbucks.

Our room was very comfortable with a nice sofa. We really enjoyed the expresso maker. The cellphone provided by the hotel was really helpful in meeting up with friends in Seoul, and the charges were insignificant.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2009

This hotel to me is over-rated. The hotel claims to be in the Top 100 in the world according to some business magazines but I did not see anything in this hotel for what it claims.

I arrived at 9:30 am which is very early as far as the Westin Chosun is concerned. They told me that the room was not ready. But if I paid half a day charge there was a room. Strange way for a Top 100 hotel esspecially when I am also an SPG Platinum member. I had to wait over an hour in the cafe and the hotel offered me no complimentary coffee or anything. Checked in finally and it was a good room. I had booked for a Westin guest Office room. The room comes with a Lap top.

SPG Platinum members are told to expect an upgrade...my expectation was in vain. When I asked if I would be upgraded, they said I could access to the Exec lounge. Platinum members get that anyway...it was not an upgrade. Platinum members are told that they would receive a welcome Gift...I had to ask for mine once in the room. The initial response was 'I am not sure' sir...but it did come eventually. And this hotel claims it is a TOP 100!! thats top 100 in the world.

The room is good, well eqipped with a good Laptop. Bathrooms are very average. Bath-tub and shower is combined. I did not see any premium amenties..may be because I was a Platinum member. It was the plain westin brand of amenities. Just the basic soaps etc. No toothbrushes, razors etc due to a new Local legislations..But I did find all these in the room 'FOR SALE' as part of the in room bar. Well stocked with a lot of food, drinks and other items like tothbrushes, socks etc.

The Executive Lounge is good but nothing so fantastic..it was a bit too crowded and a bit noisy as well..I would not call it a Lounge rather an extention of a bar.

Service however is very good throughout the hotel. Whether it be the ddor man to the lounge staff....alll very courteous and fast.

Overall its not a bad property and it manages somehow....but barely manages to achieve a pass on almost everything. .You may get the feeling of disappointment unless you are expecting nothing fantastic.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business