“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 449 Hotels in Seoul
Seoul
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Excellent hotel. Booking a 5 star hotel comes with sky-high expectations. Of course, the basics like a clean room will be fine. But small things can make or break your association with a hotel. For example in Seoul, the Park Hyatt is excellent, whereas the Grand Hyatt is terrible (despite huge reputation).

The Westin Chosun just gets everything right. The lobby is nice, the hotel feels like being built just yesterday, breakfast is nice and not too busy, and most of all: the location! Right in the city center, Lotte department store, and all other shops around the corner. Rooms are not too big, but fitted with all things you need (except for a walk in shower, standing in the bath is not so great). The nespresso machine in the room is excellent.

I was staying here for 60% of the room rate of one of the Hyatts, but would definitely stay here again even at the same price!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dkim7019, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chosun Seoul, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Douglas Kim / Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

General 5 star property with excellent services/good restaurants to boot. Located in Central/Jung-Su District it's a close cab ride to many multinationals and shopping/metro. Bus from ICN to hotel takes about 1hr. Hotel is an older/low rise property that has been well maintained. Good wi-fi. Rooms are fair sized and while not super modern, comfortable with the added benefit of Nespresso/music station. Gym is very good and there is also a spa/pool.

If you can get a good rate, it's a fail safe choice. Location is a big selling point. More business hotel than vacation spot though fits the bill for both.

Room Tip: Very quiet hotel. My room was near elevator and there was no noise.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here for work for nearly two weeks; hotel is very nice; was on the executive floor with complimentary access to the business lounge on the 20th floor (great happy hour with full bar and finger foods every day from 6-8pm). Also had complimentary buffet breakfast in the Aria every day; good quality food and big spread (there is breakfast in the business lounge as well, it's just not as big a spread). The service at the hotel is great. Had a complimentary shoe shine while there and complimentary access to pool, gym, sauna (all very nice facilities... will have to bring my goggles next time). My ONLY complaint is that extra charges for small services are outrageous... in particular, laundry! Bring all the spare clothes that you need, b/c it's $7 to launder a single undershirt! The location of this hotel is great; walk able to multiple sites, restaurants, shopping, and Insadong, which is a great place to pick up souvenirs.

Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment. Thank you for your bringing laundry matters to our attention and all your comments have been reported to our management. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've spent over 100 nights at this hotel over the years, but oddly enough, this was my first stay since the remodeling was completed a couple years ago. What I've always enjoyed most about this hotel is its welcoming hospitality. And while the interior experienced a drastic makeover, I'm glad this aspect of the hotel remains the same. From the moment the doormen greet you, you just get this feeling that your needs will be taken care of. Check-in is smooth and efficient - I was in my room unpacking in less than 10 minutes. The greeter who met me in the lobby took care of my dinner reservations and incoming faxes while I checked in. The staff makes an effort to anticipate your needs before you make a request. Now, if that's not great service, I'm not sure what is.

So for you business travellers, let me briefly go through the pros and cons so that you can decide for yourself. I will provide comparisons with other hotels in Seoul where applicable.

Pros:
(1) Service - I already gave plenty of examples above. Some people think the Shilla Hotel has the best service in Seoul, but I disagree. I think the Westin Chosun is much better (at least for Western people)
(2) Rooms - are the same size as before, but somehow feel more spacious with the redesign. The bathrooms definitely feel bigger, but they still use the same shower system in the tub (which I had hoped they would replace). The bed is large, but a bit soft for my taste. The broadband is fast. Overall, the room is great. Everything is where it should be and there is nothing lacking.
(3) Gym / pool - The remodeled gym / resurfaced pool is FANTASTIC. The new gym has a yoga studio and all the latest equipment. Some would argue that the JW Marriott gym / pool is bigger, but I think the facilities at WC are of higher quality. The pool only has 3 lanes so it can get crowded at times. The bottom of the pool is also dark so lap swimmers might have some difficulty timing their turns. The pool at the Grand Hyatt is still the best in Seoul.
(4) Restaurants - Sushi Cho is still here and still very good (just moved upstairs instead of being in the basement). The new italian restaurant (Vecchio) is also very nice. Both are pricey so if you want to eat cheaply, you will need to head toward Seoul Financial Center a few blocks away. Lots of good / cheap restaurants there. Room service is also very good, but again, pricey.
(5) Environment - There's plent to do nearby; there's shopping of all levels next door; Seoul's river walk is within walking distance; Seoul City Hall is just across the street (I remember watching World Cup games there in '02; right now, there's an ice rink). And you are a short cab ride away from the Seoul art scene and historical landmarks.

Cons:
(1) Access - the location has always been a drawback for this property. If you plan to stay north of the Han River, you have no worries. If you have meetings in Gangnam (south of the river), you will need to add 20-30 minutes to your commute in the mornings and in the evenings. If you find yourself criss-crossing the river, you should probably stay at the Grand Hyatt to save time.
(2) Price - after the remodel, prices went up (as expected). The rates on the Starwood home page is good, but sometimes you can find better deals on Agoda.com or Kayak.com. The WC is still a good value, but there are cheaper hotels in Seoul if you are cost conscious.

The title of my review says it all. It was a great hotel that became even better after the remodel. I've stayed at many Westins all over the world and you would do yourself a dis-service if you considered this property as "another Westin". For those who travel extensively in Asia, the Westin Chosun is closer to Westin Tokyo than Westin Taipei or Bangkok. The property offers hospitality and services found at more expensive hotels around the region. This property has my highest recommendation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank nrexjp
Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment, the highest recommendation. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just came back from a 5 night stay at the Westin Chosun. Everything was perfect --- from the staff waiting to pick us up as we emerged from customs to the beautiful rooms (three adjacent rooms near the elevator as I requested) with a view of the temple and the skating rink. The staff was fantastic, always very helpful and friendly. We used the express service button several times and it was always answered promptly and requests quickly accommodated. Once when we complained that the room was too warm, they installed a portable air conditioner. (it was winter, after all and so only the heater was working) and another time when we asked for bottled water at 4 in the morning and we had it in less than a minute! The hotel itself is beautiful especially the sculpture by Henry Moore in the lobby. Best of all is the location, so convenient to everything including an underground mall so we didn't have to go thru the cold outdoors. Mr. Young at the Front Desk was very helpful when we checked out. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

What makes this place great is the staff. All perfect in every way. Room was great, location was superb, right next to everything you want to see - wish I could have stayed for longer than one night! I lost my cellphone and the staff really worked genuinely with me to find it - to me that's what makes a hotel great and they've earned my business!

Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment. We are more than happy to assist you to find your cellular phone. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was in Seoul on business so didn't have too much time to explore the many neighborhoods of Seoul, but there were a number of restaurants, tourist attractions (palace, city hall, ice rink, shopping, bars, karaoke, etc) within walking distance of the hotel.

Getting there: from ICN (Incheon Airport), the "limousine bus" (KRW15000/pp) goes straight to hotel, about an hour; others took taxi from ICN and said cost was around KRW45000. From GMP (Gimpo Airport), taxi is about 20 mins and around KRW25000-ish.

Note: I searched (and searched) online at hotel's website and could not find a taxi card with the hotel's name and address printed in Korean. The taxi drivers at the airport knew the hotel so initial arrival was simple, but i would recommend taking one from the hotel before you go exploring for the day)

Check-in was efficient and I was quickly shown to my room. The room itself was comfortable and the size was perfectly fine for a couple (though would be a bit small if sharing with more than 2 adults or with kids). There was ample space despite being furnished with bed, night stands, couch, desk, and TV/Stand. Lots of closet space as well, and the bathroom was also decently sized. Toilet was typical Asian style with heated seats (great for the cold weather) and the bathtub/shower were roomy enough. Bathroom amenity kits include toothbrush/toothpaste, shower cap, and nail file. They did not provide razors like in other Asian hotels i've experienced - and upon request suggested I pay KRW15000 to purchase one from their sundry shop. (No thanks - you can walk around the corner to the drug store and get one for much less $$)

I don't know why, but I was a little surprised to find the usual Westin bath (leaf-shaped soap, usual shampoo/conditioner/soap); this is my first Westin in Asia and I guess I expected to see more Korean influence in the products based on the way some other brands distinguish amenities in Asian countries. However, I was not suprised to find the Westin Heavenly Bed - so if you love those beds, you'll find it here, too. I also loved the supply of various pillows (literally4-5 different pillows to find the one that best matches your needs).

Among the more unique experiences in my room was setting the wake-up call; I've never before experienced a wake-up call system that didn't involved talking to a live person at the hotel. I normally do not trust my jet-lag-induced-alarm clock settings and usually sleep better at night knowing that my wake-up call will be a great backup to whatever mistakes i've made while trying to set the alarm in the room. This wake-up call system was all digital - pick up the phone and enter the time on the phone keypad corresponding with your preferred waking time. It worked - even I couldn't mess it up.

The room was quiet - if someone was talking loudly as they walked by, i could hear them, but it wasn't loud enough that anything woke me from being asleep. Temperature in the room was generally good - although I woke up one night with the temp much higher than I had set and never figured out why that happened. Regardless, I reset to the lower temperature I desired and it quickly cooled back down.

This is one of the oldest hotels in Seoul, which is a source of pride for most Koreans. Despite its age, the rooms and public areas all felt updated enough and I didn't notice any wear and tear. Pool area and gym were also nice.

Only two complaints:
1) The women's bathroom on the meeting-room floor had a bizarre (and not pleasant) sewage smell
2) Within my group (about 20ppl), anyone who ate the cauliflower soup during lunch (catered by hotel in one of the meeting rooms) suffered from some rather unfortunate intestinal issues about an hour later.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dkim7019, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chosun Seoul, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive comments regarding your stay with us.

All your comments have been reported to our management, and all the corrective actions have been made, accordingly.

To enhance the degree of satisfaction for guests to our property, your opinions will be discussed and studied.

Thank you again for your bringing these matters to our attention, and we, all our Westin Chosun Seoul, associates will truly welcome you again.