“Pricey Residence Hotel but EXCELLENT LOCATION”

Oakwood Premier Coex Center
Ranked #5 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Sacramento, California
“Pricey Residence Hotel but EXCELLENT LOCATION”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We had two families travelling together (4 adults and 3 children ages 6, 3, 1 1/2) and had two rooms. This is a really NICE place to stay. It is much larger than the typical Korean hotels. More Western size. The bathrooms were huge comparatively, with a shower and bath in one. The humidity in the room was well controlled--my clothes dried overnight hanging. It has a full size kitchen and fridge with stove, rice cooker, microwave. It also came with all the utensils, cups, dishes, name it, they provided it. The room had its own washer and dryer (beware, it takes forever to wash and dry your clothes). The staff was very professional, and spoke very good English. They helped you if you needed help. BUT there was no free internet in the room, and you had to go to the lobby to get wireless internet. For a place this expensive, you would think it would be free in the room. This place is expensive (I think we paid 250/night). But the location was great. If you take the elevators down, you can get to the COEX mall. The COEX mall has just about everything (food, shopping, movie theater, entertainment, etc). The subway is easily accessible too. One of the plus side is that the the airport terminal is located there too. I was travelling internationally so I just checked in my bags here and then hopped on a limosine bus to Incheon when I was ready to depart. No need to drag heavy bags to the airport. My husband and brother-in-law took advantage of the golf range upstairs somewhere--apparently you have to switch elevators to get there--which they really liked. I can't recall if there is a pool, but if so, it is not for children. I thought that the bed and pillow was way too soft. The television didn't have too many channels.

I would consider staying here again, but it was expensive. The amenities were definitely a plus and if you want a more western style hotel, this is it! However, if affordability is an issue, then other places may suit your needs. Although the full size kitchen and microwave was a big plus for our family, we really used it only for breakfast and ate out the other times. We didn't really use it. We stayed here mid-stay of our 3 week vacation so the washer and dryer was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
AliceSeoul, Sales Coordinator at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for your review and great comments about us. We hope that you will continue to enjoy your stay with us and if we can do anything to make it even better, don’t hesitate to personally contact me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I lived at the Oakwood Premier on and off for a year and a half, in that time it started to feel like home. Our apartment had great views of Seoul, all the facilities you need, and are serviced to an impeccable standard every day. What made this place so special for me was the staff, always smiling, polite and they can't do enough to help you with anything you may need. The main restaurant is really good too, although I had less good experience with their Italian bistro restaurant on the ground floor. That doesn't matter though really as there's always an enormous choice of places to eat anywhere you go in Seoul. They have a good gym and spa also, well worth going to even though it's a bit of a convoluted journey to get there! I loved my time here, really miss Seoul and the Oakwood, and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
AliceSeoul, Sales Coordinator at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Tokyo
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Great Location, Very Good apartments and great amentias, some minor issues.
We checked into Oakwood’s after about a week of traveling and just wanted to feel a bit “like home”, we were definitely overwhelmed by the quality and size of the apartment. We were 3 people in a 2 bedroom apartment which was more than sufficient. The APT was very well equipped with dishes and electronics. The gym & Spa are among the best I have seen on the road and are in the building (odd location next to a smelly casino!).
Staff was helpful.
Some small things, we were promised free breakfast and eventually had to “haggle” with the staff to get it for one person. They charged us 50 cent per printed page (ridiculous for a $400/ night hotel) and the breakfast buffet is nice but nothing special.
All in all it’s a great “home away from home” but they should be a bit less stingy.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank JackieMoon80
Metro Manila
Reviewed November 13, 2010

It was our first time in S. Korea and planned on staying mostly within Seoul. We planned to have a free and easy tour -- a mixture of sightseeing, food tripping and a bit of shopping -- and wanted a spacious and fully-equipped accommodation suitable for the family. I must say that Oakwood Premier Coex Center did not disappoint.

Location: The location is top notch! Oakwood is connected to the COEX mall and Hyundai Department Store. We weren't able to explore much of the malls because there was so much to do around Seoul and so little time. Hyundai has a supermarket and a both have a huge food court so you can buy your food here and eat it in your room. Very convenient. You can also do some shopping here, especially if you're into brands and designer goods. Otherwise, Myeong-dong is a great (cheaper) alternative.

Apartment: We stayed for around six nights in a 3BR-2TB-1T apartment at the 27th floor.
Spacious, clean and fully-equipped. Kitchenette has a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, four burners, dishwasher/dryer, microwave oven. There is also a washing machine/dryer/iron which can come in very handy. Living room has a very cool LG flat-screen TV and Samsung Home Theater System. (Tip: You can borrow DVD movies in the Business Center for free.) The dining table seats seven people. There is also a sort of balcony, but we never used it much. Good view, though.

Bedrooms/bath: Standard-sized rooms, but quite comfortable. Master bath has a steam area, bathtub/shower (with rainshower head, very cool) and those high-tech water closets that I thought only exist in Japan. The other water closets are the standard ones, but that's not really a problem.

Service: Their sincerity and eagerness of the housekeeping to serve sometimes make up for the lack of efficiency, that it is difficult to berate them about it. In any case, these small nuances are forgivable, especially since we came at a very busy time (G20 Summit) and I assumed that the hotel was quite full. Front desk staff was mixed, as the previous reviewer mentioned. Others go out of their way to meet your requests, while others are just so-so. Overall, I'd rate the service a 4 out of 5.

Restaurants: We've eaten at the Viking Buffet and at the Lounge (for breakfast). The food was alright -- nothing to write home about, but the staff were very nice so that's a plus. There are so many places to eat outside the hotel, even in the malls. I think you'll get more and cheaper selections there.

Others: If there's one thing I'd gripe about (although not really) is the lack of FREE wi-fi/internet access in rooms. The charges are pretty steep, so I passed. Good thing I had a laptop with me. In such cases, you can use the wi-fi in the lounge for free.

Tips: Go to Insa-dong for their Kkultarae -- a Korean court cake made out of honey and malt. They make a show out of making it, too, which is quite entertaining to watch. For coupon cutters, check out the S. Korea tourism website where you can get some cool offers. I got pretty good discounts to Lotte World and Everland with those. Also, Asiana Airlines' "Magic Boarding Pass" entitles you to some discounts to establishments (banks, duty free, etc.), I believe. I wasn't able to use mine, but it might be worth checking out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mullet_rock
philippines
Reviewed November 6, 2010

My family of five stayed at Oakwood Premier Coex for seven nights and it was wonderful. We occupied a three bedroom unit which was spacious, well equipped, spotless and reasonably priced. Had I know earlier, I would have chosen service apartments than hotel suites since we always travel as a family. Oakwood has a modern interior with four flat screen tv!!! (for our three bedroom suite) One in the living room and one for each room! We had two full baths and a toilet. The master bath had its steamer which I find relaxing after a tiring day of touring. The kitchen is fully equipped with everything you need with expensive looking bone china, cutleries,glasses of different kinds etc. They also provided microwave oven, a huge refrigerator, rice cooker,blender, even salt and pepper mill. Their non-stick pots and pans were of good quality too. The apatment design was compact yet it didn't feel constricted. The washer and drier gave us the chance to do our laundry every now and then. Talk about service, I would say the staff sincerely liked to be of help all the time. People at the reception were mixed. Some were friendly while the others were just there doing their job, but overall it was a job well done. The concierge service was excellent and the housekeeping too! Fast, friendly and reliable. Location was excellent though not in the main shopping district of Myeongdong where you'll find really cheap bargains.It's a good thirty minutes away and more if you're caught in a traffic jam. Hyundai department store is within the mall and restaurants of all types were everywhere. The only downside was they close too early (8pm) . So after eight (which is usually the time we get back to the hotel) there's no place for us to eat unless you go out of the hotel (where restaurants are plentiful) or in the hotel (I think the coffee shop is always open and of course, the room service which is expensive). I paid a reasonable price for our stay in Oakwood. I made my reservations through phone and corresponded with Nicole Jin. Three hundred dollars per night without tax. But that's for three bedrooms, 2tb and 1 toilet, dining area for six,fully equipped kitchen and a living room. There's also a narrow acces from our room to the other rooms without passing the living room which I found a bit peculiar,but who doesn't want an extra space? To my estimate our suite is around 130 square meters. Oakwood Premier especially for family travellers is a very convenient, luxurious and comfortable place to stay. We were sad to leave. But we'll find and choose Oakwood (with its vast presence in every country) everytime. Many thanks to the staff (Benjamin and the others) who made us feel at home :-)and thanks Oakwood for the wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
AliceSeoul, Sales Coordinator at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed November 5, 2010

After 4 years absence I came back to stay here, and I found everything as I left. Good service, nice breakfast, huge suite with kitchen, washing machine and everything well maintained. What was and is fascinating to me is how the organize the cutlery trays - very accurate arrangement of forks, spoons, knifes and chopsticks. The hotel is located centrally with direct access to the shopping mall at ground level. In front of the hotel there is a huge area with tons of restos. A temple complex can be found 5min. away to relax, thesubway is close in walking distanceto explore Seoul by train. Very convenient for travellers: Next to the hotel is the bus station with direct lines to the airports AND check in counters for Korean Air and Star Alliance/Asiana. That means you hold your boarding pass in your hands AND get rid of your luggage befor you enter the bus from the city to the airport.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Hupflinger
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This place was a godsend! I was working in Seoul for a total of 3 months and my company chose the Oakwood as my accommodation. I have to say I'm very glad they did! The rooms were very spacious. I had a fully fitted kitchen, full en-suite, and a washing machine! The staff were friendly and very accommodating. To my delight there was also a full gym, sauna and a swimming pool which as you can imagine you need when you're away on business!
Overall it made my stay in Seoul very pleasant!
I would recommend the Oakwood to any person traveling to Seoul for business.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sticky_vic
AliceSeoul, 세일즈 디렉터 at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this review, October 24, 2011