“A fine hotel in Seoul”
Review of The Shilla Seoul

The Shilla Seoul
Ranked #17 of 552 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed August 20, 2009

One of the more historic hotels in Seoul, although the history is rather short. High end, reasonable value, good restaurant, excellent bar (great selection of Scotch!).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dfwmw
Write a ReviewReviews (1,676)

Reviewed August 3, 2009

Treated ourselves to a 2 day stay in The Shilla after 10 days in the provinces in Jeonju and Namhae island. Booked on line a city view room on the executive floor with breakfast in the lounge and a long hour happy hour at night. Cost including service and tax was 621,000 Won ($500 Won £300) .

The room was modern and very comfortable, the pool with tanning platforms overlooking it one of the best I have used. There was an indoor pool but we did not use it. The breakfast in the Executive lounge was excellent and the snacks served with the drinks at happy hour, delicious. The public areas of the hotel wee decorated in a high but understated style.

There is a Metro station at the base of the hotel property, it's on one of the older lines so there are lots of stairs to reach the platforms.

The only down side tyo the Shilla was that drinks in the bar were extremely expensive when service and tax was added on and the laundry charges were some of the highest I have encountered.

In the days when I travelled for business I would have loved to stay at the Shilla and even now I pay my own way I thought that it was worth the cost of staying there

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank UKOldie
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Shilla is a nice hotel, but for the price you pay it is not worth it... Stayed in a executive room, but the room looked old and outdated. The overall service was also just ok. For half the price it would have been ok. The lounge was just ok.
One day we had the breakfast everyone is saying was SO good, but couldnt quite understand what it is that is so good about it. The service there was poor as they did not clean the table so we ended pu with a table full of plates...
They have a shuttlebus that runs from the hotel and downtown, which was good. Other that that the hotel was just average.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shwk
Reviewed July 17, 2009

This hotel is a gem.

I've stayed in alot of luxury hotels and five star hotels around the world and this is definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

Staff are very helpful and couteous.

Food is excellent.

Rooms are a good size and comfortable.

The hotel ground are magnificent.

You simply cannot fault the Shilla.

I will return.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank goingtobeijing
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend getaway in April 09. Booked through the Leading Hotels of the World website, and if you joined as a member of LHW (which costs nothing anyway), you get all sorts of perks, such as room upgrade, late check-out, welcome gift, and a personal concierge, who was waiting when I arrived to help with my check-in, and later, with my check-out. My room also had a mobile phone which I could bring around to use, local call charges apply of course, but still very handy as Korea uses a different network (my blackberry didn't work there either).

The hotel is situated on a hilltop with sprawling grounds, great views of Mt Namsun and very quiet, but it is quite a long walk to Dongdameun. The shuttle is good but not very useful for people who find it hard to keep to schedules, such as meself, so I got around with taxis mainly (which are very reasonable btw). The hotel itself, although grand, is a little dated - it was built in the 80s afterall. My room was huge (at least 50 sqm) but nothing fancy. The service was truly exceptional though - I was very impressed and happy, and that was what prompted me to write this review (I am usually too lazy).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Barbie_gal0386
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I have stayed in most hotel chains across Asia, and the Shilla is the most outstanding hotel in my opinion. I first was provided a room from family, and now only stay here when I go through Seoul. It is very, very hard to find bad service in Korea, however this hotel has the best service par none, anywhere in the world. I wish there were more of this chain as I would have no problem paying the extra for such excellent service this place offers. It is very close to many good destinations around Seoul.
Recently I have a preference for the more Artsy designer hotels over chain fare, I suppose because chain fare is not as good as the Shilla. One thing that astounds me every time I stay is nothing ever looks used.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank bernarde
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I was here on business for 2 days. The service and attention was incredible. One of my colleagues was a Korean which made my stay very easy. I imagine it could be a tough city otherwise as cosmopolitan it is not!

The hotel is clearly popular with wealthy local wives for lunch and afternoon tea which is a good sign. The food and service was excellent.

I had an executive room which was very comfortable, clean and spacious. It wasn't a romantic/luxurious haven though, this is a business hotel and has stream of suits like me drifting in and out all day and night.

The hotel has an excellent gym for those that need to work out to stay sane when travelling. Loads of kit and space.

The lounge and bar are great places to catch a few moments and watch all the comings and goings. It's the sort of place that makes you feel comfortable as a solo traveller and not like some loser sitting in a bar on your own.

In summary, great hotel, great service and very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business