“Stay for Style & Luxury over Location”
Review of The Shilla Seoul

The Shilla Seoul
Ranked #18 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Though situated close enough to some tourist areas like Dongdaemun, the hotel is a short walk to the nearest subway. However, there is a convenient shuttle bus service to the city and also to the subway station if one is lazy to walk.

First impressions are indeed impressive, and the drive up the grand entrance to the hotel is a beautiful one, with pleasant greenery and water features.

Rooms are expensive but you pay for the luxurious style and the curt attentive service provided by the many many hotel staff loitering about. (On a side note I visited the Lotte Hotel Seoul to dine at one of their establishments and noticed a considerably lower number of staff as well as the ability to converse well in English compared to the Shilla.) While the Shilla staff are all well spoken and fluent in English, I would say service is brusque and professional rather than warm and genuine. Perfectly trained to attend to business visitors, I suppose.

Rooms are not extremely spacious, but they serve their function. The design is sleek, modern and soothing to the eye. Amenities are luxurious, as one would expect for the prices charged. Molton Brown toiletries and thick towels (look under your sink if you can't find the extras!). Beds and pillows are extremely soft (which can be a good or bad thing).

Overall I rate this establishment four stars though it is through and through a five star hotel because our water temperature was not impressive throughout our 5 night stay. As temperatures still dropped during the night a lukewarm shower with weak water pressure at the end of the day was not enjoyable.

Unfortunately we did not dine within the hotel, but we did pay a visit to the nearby duty free store, also owned by Shilla (and the Samsung group). Crowded with mainland tourists, the store has all major luxury brands (e.g. Louis Vuitton, Prada etc) and in the lower floor, you can purchase more touristy items like Korean skin care brands or food items (omiyage). However I had purchased some items there and two days later, purchased similar items at the Lotte Duty Free in Myeongdong and noticed that Lotte gave tourists better discounts. Hope this helps! :)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djljang

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Visit this hotel for conference. Nice room with Molton brown toilet ties . Pool both indoor and outdoor. With heated jacuzzi pool for free. Sumptious breakfast buffet. Lunch buffet at the Korean styled conference hall are excellent including fresh crab legs , crispy sushi and beef specialties. It is within walking distance to the undertraine station. Short taxi distance to shopping ares like Dongdemun and Myedong. Shilla duty free shop is just next door. Tons of tourist keep it too crowded for leisure shopping!

1  Thank jchu88888
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel sits on top of a hill, so it is quite isolated from street noise and crowds. Unfortunately there is a duty free complex a couple of hundred metres away (belonging to the same company) and there is an endless stream of tourist buses from 9.30 am till the evening. The grounds are otherwise pleasant for walking about in.
The rooms are not very large, but the bed is very comfortable, as are the pillows. There is a couch between the bed and the TV, which is enormous - 60inches, if I'm not mistaken.
The bathroom is quite spacious, and the rain shower is delightful. The drainage is also good, so you don't stand in a pool of soapy water. Extra towels are on a rack under the sink, easily missed if you don't bend down and look.
Tea and coffee making facilities are as usual, though the first day I was there they had forgotten the coffee, leaving only tea and decaf.
Breakfast selection is quite wide and tastes good too.
It would be nice if newspapers were delivered to the rooms.

3  Thank Inftraveller
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I booked a business room which I found to be quite outstanding, the quality the comfort the massive TV everything felt fresh and good and some enjoyable sleeps in a very comfortable bed.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and lots of they everywhere which made service very good but I just felt that they could have been more proactive, for example when the glass is nearing empty ask if I want another, they never asked you always had to give them instruction, which is odd when there are so many of them you would think they would try to do that.

I found the facilities excellent, however the indoor pool had been closed, so had to use the outdoor, found an alcove to sit in to avoid the cold wind but was told it was a cabana and we would be charged, even when I pointed out it was empty (3 other people) I was told I would be charged, I refused to move, I can see the point if there is paying guests needing the space I would have moved.

I was also told children were not allowed at the pool during the week only at weekends not sure how true as we were only there at a weekend. Not ideal for families.

My biggest bug bear was their excessive charging for everything, I have no issues paying a premium price in this type of hotel but even drinking water was ridiculously charged, a can of coke worked out to be over £4 it's at that point I think is it worth it, when simple water is 12x the price of car fuel.

It was overall an enjoyable stay in a comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank agilchrist
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The Shilla is a true five star hotel. Even by high Asian standards, it is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in (and I do see quite a few of them...)
The hotel is located close to the city center on a hill surrounded on three side by a forest. This is an incredible experience for a city the size of Seoul and the hotel feels quite secluded. At the same time, the metro is just a five minutes walk downhill (a shuttle bus is also available)
The hotel has everything you expect from a five star hotel including good restaurants and rooms with a high standard including a decently sized marble bathroom.
What is truly remarkable is the service, even by comparison to other impressive hotels. They show great attention to detail and are responsive to every problem - I not only asked them to book my trains but they also fixed my suitcase which the airline had broken.
Advice: Include the breakfast in your booking, it's a lot cheaper that way.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisCGN2013
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel few years ago, and just went back and stayed again this month. The rooms have been updated with more modern decor! I had a super early arrival at 6am, and the check in process was really fast and easy, not like most of the other hotels that i stayed in Seoul that always gave me troubles on early check in.

The spa at the hotel is simply amazing! One of the best massage I've have ever had! The room service is fairly fast and food was great! I booked with Amex Fine Hotel & Resort program, they gave me $100 resort credit to use, I then found out the credits didn't apply to room service or the cafe in the lobby but only for the restaurants. I traveled alone for business, and would never wanted to sit in a restaurant by myself to eat a two hours pre-fix dinner.. so i talked to someone at the from desk, asked if they could apply the credits to room service, they got back to me and let me know i was able to! That really made me stay much more convenient!

Oh and the breakfast came with my F&R booking was simply the best!!!!! Huge selections with all the fresh ingredients.

Checkout was super quick, they got me a cab right away outside of the hotel to go to the airport!
I have stayed at almost all the five stars hotels in Seoul over the past 9 years, 6-8 times a year traveling in Seoul, The Shilla is def. two thumbs up best service in Seoul!

The rooms are not big compare to other five stars hotels in Seoul, but it doesn't bother me at all as I am a business traveler, all i needed was a comfy bed to have a good night sleep.

2  Thank jafay
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We just returned from a three night stay at The Shilla. The hotel is immaculate with a number of restaurants featuring a range of cuisines (very expensive but v well done). The spa looked remarkable but I did not venture down because children are only permitted to swim on weekends. The rooms were the most thoughtfully designed ones we have experienced. There are international outlets and USB points beside the desk and in the bathroom drawer for hair appliances. Window and bathroom louvred blinds are operated by the flick of a switch, as are the simple to use temperature and lighting controls. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The pillow menu caters to all needs (buckwheat, etc). But it was the staff that blew us away. They were sublime-- courteous, thoughtful and subtle. They were both welcoming and appropriate. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family