The Shilla Seoul
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness center
  • Restaurant
1,703 results
All reviewsexecutive businesspark viewguerlain spaduty free shopoutdoor poolsmall hillkorean restaurantstar hoteloutstanding hotelthe executive loungebusiness tripbig hotelbreakfast buffet issouth koreafitness centernamsan towerdeluxe room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was recently in Seoul for 5 nights' business, I stayed at the Shilla as we had a company event there.
First, the good - beautiful foyer, fantastic old buildings and manicured grounds. The event hall was also very nice, I was lucky enough to join a Korean rock group performance.
Breakfast buttet on the 1st floor was decent, but with very little variation from day to day, and nothing really exceptional either (I did enjoy the home made muesli though)

Now, the not so good.. The room I stayed in was on the 21st floor, the hotel has 22 floors, so I presume it was a decent 'class' of room.. It was clean and tidy and had all the basics one would need.
However, first impressions - mini bar and surrounding area absolutely jam-packed with things they want to sell you! It was like being in a 7/11 ! Ridiculous.
Amenities provided were quite basic too, soaps and shower gels just barely OK.
Furniture and trimmings also very old, not to mention the peeling and bubbling wallpaper..
This room was in serious need of an update.

How can I forget, the location is terrible too, not convenient for work, nor for shopping or entertainment.

Overall, nice 'fancy looking' hotel, but, look slightly beneath the surface (the public areas) and you will be sorely disappointed (the rooms)

I'll probably stay at the Westin again next time..

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank hkrob
Reviewed September 8, 2011

After 12 magical days in Japan visiting our sister city Sakaide (Southwest/Kagawa prefecture), we had a 2 day layover in Seoul before returning to the Bay Area. The Shilla was the PERFECT place for this adventure. Well located, very well appointed rooms, and easy access to all the districts. Extremely helpful staff, especially all the english speaking consierges. We knew we had to pack alot into 2 days, and they professionally gave directions, restaurant recommendations and a gracious smile upon our return after a full day tourist-thon. The lobby is spectacular, the pool/fitness area top notch (and good for families as well). We did not eat in the hotel, opting instead for less "fussy" environs, and local BBQ or district food. We would definately stay here again, and hope to return. (Don't do the buffet dinner at the Seoul Tower - it seems contrived, when so much else is available - but it is worth the vista/views and to see just how BIG Seoul really is)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cinderella-SFO
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The hotel is slightly out of the centre of town and a cab ride to the business or tourist sights. The public areas and room had Korean styling which made it slightly more memorable than other international hotels but apart from that it was an efficient but slightly soulless business hotel. I would be happy to stay again but I'ld also be interested in seeing what else was available.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed 9 days at the Shilla. Everyone knows the Shilla in Seoul...it is supposed to be the best hotel of Korea. Indeed, the service is stunning, the rooms are very good (but within the line of hotels of this class), with beautiful views. Overall, it is an excellent hotel. So I am going to dwell on the negatives...knowing that everything else is perfect!
- Prices : Besides the list price, you may have to pay for 20$ / day for internet, insane prices for food (more than 25$ for an ordinary club sandwich, and 8$ for a candy bar!), 1$/ page for black and white printing (I naievely printed a large 100 page documents...could have bought a printer for that price!), etc...
- Swimming pool : it is a beautiful swimming pool, but there are more kids in it than gallons of water! I have tried to go there 3 times to try to swim, but it was just impossible. This said, I loved the relax family atmosphere around the pool. The staff organizes competitions for the kids from times to times.
- Internet : at this price, you would expect a blazingly fast internet...it is not. In fact it is below standard for Korea

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jerry68bis
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed at Shilla hotel for five nights in August 2011. It was a business trip. If you are ok staying away from the center of actions, this is a good choice...

Pros:
- Good service. People there are all very nice.
- The building is beautiful. Traditional Korean style.
- Quiet location, looking down the city from the hill.
- Next to a subway station. In Seoul, you can go anywhere with subway.
- Duty-free shopping center is adjacent to the hotel (I cannot evaluate the shopping center as I have zero interest).

Cons:
- Room was smallish, from American standard. Maybe this is the Seoul standard. I don't know because this was the first hotel in Seoul that I stayed. A single-use room was at most 25 square meters.
- Location is away from action. No restaurants near by (need to walk at least 10-15 min).
- Shaky internet. Very often I wasn't able to access to the hotel website. It took a while to receive reservation confirmation after I made the reservation (I was actually worried as I received no response to emails for a couple of weeks).
- Have to pay for internet in the room. There is a free internet in the lobby are but the connection is very unreliable and slow (maybe intentional).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business