“A bit far from underground station”

Novotel Ambassador Doksan, Seoul
Ranked #32 of 472 Hotels in Seoul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Great hotel in regards to room cleanliness, food, room service, etc. Small but complete Business Center.
Great staff with one of the nicest, most knowledgeable and problem-solving Concierge (this young man was outstanding!).
Very convenient shopping mall right across the street. Convenience store(s) within walking distance.

The only issue is location: I had to go downtown during Monday's rush hour and it took me over 1 hour.
Still, overall, a very good hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank isis080
Se-Yong, 제너럴 매니저 at Novotel Ambassador Doksan, Seoul, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Seoul Ambassador Doksan. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Was on a trip to Seoul with my partner and stayed at this location mostly due to the fact that they indicated a proximity to the subway and had the Novotel brand. I was greatly disappointed with my stay.

First, while they indicate a 15-20 minute walk (about 900 m) from the subway station, note that the walk is largely uphill and cuts through a small, low traffic road. Certainly not a walk many people would feel comfortable with while walking back at night.

Second, it is adjacent to a place called the "Love Room", which is also adjacent to a motel. My partner said it was likely a place to meet prostitutes given the name and the proximity to a cheap motel. It also explained an odd window from the bed that looks right into the bathroom in our room.

Third, on the other side of the hotel, there is a fire station that dispatches fire trucks. While I was not bothered by the sirens, I also used to live next to a train station, so some light sleepers may have trouble with it.

Fourth, when we arrived at the hotel, they indicated that renovations were occurring and that there might be some noise. In addition, pay per view would not be available during our stay. It would`ve been nice if they told us they prior to booking or at least prior to arrival.

Fifth, contrary to other posts and even several booking sites, Internet was NOT free at this hotel, which is ridiculous given that even Baskin Robbins has free wifi. There was access to the business centre which gave you 20 minutes of free access though. This brings me to the sixth item.

At check in, we were asked if we wanted Internet access, to which we told them that it was supposed to be included. We showed them Expedia's site which indicated only wired access was paid, to which they said "wired and wireless are the same" (huh?). We then showed them Tripadvisor's site in which reviewers indicated that wifi was free and the manager's comments that seemed not to contradict the review, to which they said "some rooms include it, others don't (huh?). I will make it clear here that there was absolutely no language or cultural issues as my partner grew up in South Korea, attended school in Seoul and was certified in Canada to teach English abroad.

What angers me is not that wifi was not included, as we were barely in the room except to sleep, but the poor service and response. Instead of arguing with me or making false excuses, the staff should have been trying to work on a solution for me. This could`ve ranged from speaking to the manager, giving a one-time pass, or even referring me down the street to Holly`s Coffee, which had free wifi. I was an A-Club member and they did not recognize it, instead recognizing their own "Ambassador" loyalty program. Given the manager's involvement on this site, I was expecting a more proactive approach to customer service, but the manager was never consulted. I have stayed at numerous hotels throughout the world, including some that had broken TVs, uncleaned rooms and leaking air conditioners, but I would state that this hotel was undoubtedly my worst experience, solely because in every other hotel I stayed in, if there was a problem, the staff always found a way to make it right. They did not even try here.

The only factors preventing me from giving this hotel a 1 are that we were provided with a complimentary upgrade to the executive room because the floor we were slated to stay on was undergoing renovations, the hotel offers a shuttle service to downtown and the bus stop to the airport and the concierge was quite helpful. The room overall was clean and spacious by standards in Asia and I had no issues with the room itself.

This hotel is a textbook example of a great concept, but the overall product failing due to staff. I am so unsatisfied with my stay that I will not return to this location, nor will I stay in any "Ambassador" hotels managed by the same group. After two disappointing stays in Accor associated properties, I will be reconsidering my loyalty to the brand.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank BB_Traveller514
Se-Yong, 제너럴 매니저 at Novotel Ambassador Doksan, Seoul, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Seoul Ambassador Doksan. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.
I am very to sorry to hear that your experience was not satisfied.
Please accept my apology for upsetting you regarding your experience in Novotel Doksan
Also I would like to answer and explain about what you experienced with us.
We have been considering offering the shuttle service to subway stations which are nearby the hotel ,Doksan , Guro disital complex stations on rising requests of the guests.
Novotel Doskan is not located in downtown area .but, there is no place related to prostitutes in the vicinity of the hotel
The odd window you mentioned has been newly renovated for the guest, but like you some guests do not like it.
There is a fire station next to the building as you said, however we have never been in trouble with it .
We are really sorry for that we did not mention about the renovation. We have finished the renovation last week. It will not make the guests be bothered anymore.
There is an ambiguous word for internet service made you uncomfortable. I found on the web site you booked that wifi is not free but there is no saying about wired intenet. So we asked the all booking sites and agency to revise it. in order to classify the level of room types. Some rooms are inclusive of internet others are not. So we will try to reflex on your opinion
I will review your comments with our front office team to reinforce the fact of their importance and how we serve our guests is so important to the overall hotel experience of our customer.
Also we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Hannibal, Missouri
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Novotal Doksan has wonderful staff. Food at breakfast is better than average. Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. They have a gym, pool and golf hitting facility in the 3rd floor. Issue with gym is availability of equipment since it is open to memberships in addition to hotel guests. If you want to get a treadmill, be there at exactly 6:00 am, otherwise you may be waiting for one to open if you come a bit late. Location is a bit away from Seoul city center and shopping area.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Swimcoach1030
Se-Yong, 제너럴 매니저 at Novotel Ambassador Doksan, Seoul, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Reviewed January 18, 2012

The hotel was good enough, safe, clean, with good facilities. Wish the gym opened earlier than 6am, and that the staff spoke more English, but we managed anyway. Breakfast was good and Internet acceptable.

• Stayed January 2012
Se-Yong, 제너럴 매니저 at Novotel Ambassador Doksan, Seoul, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Novotel Seoul Ambassador Doksan.
Your positive comments serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We have trained staff to improve English speaking and listening skill and we help staff to be able to study foreign language constantly.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be much more pleasant than the previous one.