“Expected Better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 468 Hotels in Seoul
Durham, United Kingdom
“Expected Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I accept that you do not get much hotel for your money in Seoul, but for the
price paid, I expected a little more.

I booked this hotel through Accor and as a Le Club Platinum member, I hoped for
an upgrade on request, but water, some fruit and a free drink voucher was what I
received. I try to stay loyal to Accor, but please, try and have some
consistency for your Le Club members.

My room was OK, but a little dated and small, however it was clean and the bed
was comfortable, however, the TV channels were desperate, with very few English
speaking options available.

Others have made comments regarding the quirky toilet, but to be honest, rather
than having a singing and whistling toilet bowl, I would suggest more attention
to detail on other issues should be prioritised.

I also have to state that without doubt, the executive lounge is one of the
worst I have encountered.

The food was woeful and why don't they place more than one bottle of wine in the
serving area? If the bottle runs dry, you have to wait until it is replaced.

Other niggles such as no available wine glasses and forks are relatively minor
issues, but someone should really be checking these.

On arrival, I was informed that the lounge 'happy hour' was 6-8:30 pm, but
everything was swiftly cleared up on some nights by 7.30. without warning - probably
the only efficiency I had seen during my stay!

One afternoon I went into the lounge for a coffee and was disappointed to see dirty
crockery, glasses and cutlery still on the tables despite the reception area
being manned - I could understand it if the room was busy, but I was the only
one in there.

In summary, The 'Grand Ambassador' title is somewhat contradictory and is
certainly not what I expected from the Pullman brand.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank davyp777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

A very comfortable, clean and Convenient hotel! We took airport limousine to the main entrance of the hotel. The room is spacious so three of us can have one single bed. The hotel offered shuttle buses to the famous shopping areas and Seoul N Tower. There is no need to take subway. There are many small restaurants nearby, just walk 5-8'. Also there are two convenience stores close to the hotel, 7-eleven and family mart. The subway station is close, just walk 5-8'. We will stay at it once again if we visit Seoul next time.

• Stayed December 2012
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

price is very reasonabl.
and room cndition is great.
welcome gift is satisfied.
(fruits and cake)
if i go to hotel in seoul, i will go this hotel again.
price is very reasonabl.
and room cndition is great.
welcome gift is satisfied.
(fruits and cake)
if i go to hotel in seoul, i will go this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lobbymgr, Manager at Grand Ambassador Seoul associated with Pullman, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Ambassador. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Han Kim
Front Office Manager
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a night since my preference hotel (Ibis Myeong-dong) was full. The experience I had with this hotel was excellent. There is no other word to describe it.

I arrived on an early flight from Bangkok and got to the hotel at around 8:30 AM. Upon checking in, the front office desk told me that the earliest available room would be at 11 AM since my preference was for a King-sized bed and non-smoking room. I asked him whether the hotel has any room available at this time since I was exhausted from the flight and needed a shower. Fortunately, he told me that he has a Double-bed room on a smoking floor and asked me whether I want to check the room first. I went up to the room and found that there was no smell of cigarette smoke and decided to take that room. What I find is that the hotel is very understanding and accommodating in letting you check-in early if they have available rooms. From my experience, most hotels would not let you check-in before 1 pm even if they have available rooms.

Of all the comments I read about its isolated location, I must say that the hotel gives you back all the conveniences. Although it is not a 5-star hotel, it provides a complimentary shuttle services to Myeong-dong and Dongdaemun Market similiar to the services provided by most 5-star hotels. The shuttle runs every hour to Myeong-dong and Insadong before returning to the hotel. The shuttle to Dongdaemun Market runs from 5 PM onwards. The subway (Dongguk Station) is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel is just a 5-10 minute drive to Myeong-dong. It would take you about 20-25 minutes if you were to walk. Getting to Dongdaemun Market is about a 10-minute drive or a 25 minute walk. The hotel is located between Myeong-dong and Dongdaemun Market.

The room is not so large. The hotel has a large swimming pool and a nice fitness centre. Aside from this, the hotel also has a spa, which I tried. The facial massage was very good and not too pricey at around KRW 120,000 for 90 minutes. The hotel also has an indoor electronic golf driving range where you can use to spend your free time.

The highlight of the hotel is that the concierge service was superb. The lady concierge by the name of Mona Lee, who can speak at least 3 languages (English, Korean, and Japanese) was very patient and helpful. She was very polite and gave me all the necessary details/information that I need. She would patiently recommend tour guides and tell me the pros and cons of each, and at times would recommend me to go the easiest and cheapest routes, unlike concierge at other hotels who would only want to sell expensive packages. I must give my praised to this lady as she was so helpful with every queries I had. She was also the one helping me plan my routes and recommending me how to save on taxi by taking the free shuttles, etc. She would be one of the reason why I would stay at this hotel again.

This was my fourth visit to Seoul, but my first stay at this hotel. I must say that I would definitely make this hotel as my first choice when I visit Seoul next time. Last, but not least, this is definitely a value for money hotel. You don't need to pay for 5-star hotels when you can get 5-star services at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Journey_Delight
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Grand Ambassador Seoul is a great hotel to stay. There are a number of advantages staying at this hotel. It is within walking distance (about 5mins) from the Metro. There are hourly complimentary shuttle bus to shopping area in Seoul (i.e. Insadong, Myeong-Dung and etc). In addition to this, there is also shuttle bus to Namshan Tower (aka N Tower), can't remember the schedule though. KAL bus to Incheon airport are also available (check out their timing), you can pay at the reception or if they ran out of tickets, you could pay directly to the bus driver. Very nice and comfortable bus.

The only thing staying at this hotel is the receptionist is not very friendly (i.e. they way they interact), there is no complimentary toothbrush set and shaving kit and they are chargeable. This is usually free on other Pullman property. There is also a pungent smell from the WC. Hopefully the hotel will look into it. Facilities are chargeable (i.e. spa as they are managed by third party probably).

I would really recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends