“The pros and cons of this hotel”

Novotel Ambassador Seoul Gangnam
Ranked #31 of 474 Hotels in Seoul
Munich, Germany
“The pros and cons of this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Pros:
- good central location, close to public transport
- close to great shopping areas and restaurants within walking distance
- great fitness center and a wonderfully Korean sauna and steam room (don't be shy there though)
- nice staff
- rooms are fairly lage and comfy
- overall much better than the Novotel hotels in Europe

Cons:
- When I booked it was one of the best values, compared to others it's well worth the money
- Hotel is a bit dated overall, rooms need updating
- Breakfast is only so-so for Asian standards
- Restaurant is below average but there are fortunately lots of good other choices close by

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GlobalPolyglot
NovotelSeoulGN, General Manager at Novotel Ambassador Seoul Gangnam, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear GlobalPolyglot,

Thank you for this easy to read analysis of your views which I am sure will be of assistance to fellow-travellers. Please note we will be refurbishing both Public areas and rooms in the not too distant future.

Mike BROWN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

No rooms or suites that can sleep a family of 4. So we needed 2 rooms which gets expensive. Ideal hotel though for 2 people. Great breakfast included with wide variety of asian and western food. Gangnam is a good location with lots of restaurants and clubs. .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
NovotelSeoulGN, General Manager at Novotel Ambassador Seoul Gangnam, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear guest,

You make a valid point regarding accommodating 4 adults but presently our bedding arrangements can't fullfil this request. However I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

The hotel itself is situated very closed to the lively streets in the south of Seoul >> Gangnam district. There is a nearby subway station which is like 5 mins walk from the hotel and starting from that subway station (pardon me i forgot the name of the metro station) is the retail and business avenue of the gangnam district. As per the service wise, the hotel staffs are very nice and helpful. and thumb up for the breakfast buffet. yay! moreover, the spa and gym facility is excellent. note: the spa is chargeable but i went in without knowing that, come-on, the staff did waive off the charge for me, even though the charge is not really expensive. Many thanks to them!! definitely come back again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Efleet,

We are indeed fortunate in regards to our location and its great you were able to get amongst it. Thanks for your kind words about our team and the breakfast buffet. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Back in Europe Novotel has mostly good but rather plain 4 star hotels. This Novotel was closer to a Sofitel than to an European Novotel.

I was upgraded to an executive room on one of the upper floors and the room was really nice. Good beds, proper desk etc. I did not view one of the standard rooms but I can't imagine that they would differ significantly from the executive rooms.

Breakfast was very good. A fine choice in bread, cheeses, eggs made to order etc. I particularly liked the gym facilities. As the gym, swimming pool and sauna are also open to non-guests I guess the facilities are better than you would normally expect as it is run like a separate business.

Location is good for business as metro line 9 stops nearby and Gangnam is Seoul's business district. For sightseeing you have to cross the river to get to the palaces etc but the metro is a convenient way of getting around the city (English signs). Taking a taxi is an option but traffic is pretty bad around the clock.

All in all a really nice hotel with friendly staff that is excellent value for money - I paid 230,000 KRW or Euro 157 per night for a superior twin room. I can wholeheartedly recommend staying at the Novotel Ambassador Gangnam.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
NovotelSeoulGN, General Manager at Novotel Ambassador Seoul Gangnam, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear PascalAmsterdam,

Glad you enjoyed the stay. As much as I enjoy the metro I find a bus the quickest way to get over the River as there are dedicated bus only lanes. They depart very regularly near the hotel and it is good to do as local do to get the flavour of Seoul.

Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

It's a business hotel but also tourist friendly. Very clean and with excellent staff at all levels. Friendly and extremely helpful at all times. Good hotel, comfortable hotel and comfortable for a solo traveller. Safe and nicely homely if you know what I mean. No mean feat for a large business hotel and due largely to the attentiveness of the staff.

Good internet access - you do pay extra but that seems to be the norm for a hotel of this type

Two major points which I haven't seen mentioned in other reviews, along with non-smoking floors they also have smoking floors!! Big selling point for smokers who do not want to go outside when it's -6C.

Also the presence of a real live kettle in the room for those of us who prefer tea. (It's very hard to make tea in the coffee machines often provided)

The breakfast (you pay extra) is unbelievable in it's variety. Well worth the extra.

My mattress was a little on the hard side, I suspect that had I said something it would have been changed but I haven't bothered to mention it. Might next time as I will definitely be here again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the back are quieter I think. Except for 4am on Sunday am when the very popular club...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Dee J,

Your review is greatly appreciated as you qualify many of the areas. My team have been focusing on to improve our service to our guests both business and leisure. "Homely" is a word we love and thanks for taking the time to let other travelers know. Look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

Was in room 614 for Christmas weekend, December 24th-December 26th.

For the most part, everything was pleasant. My girlfriend and I enjoyed the gym/pool facility and were better than what we were expecting. Convenient hours as well - 6am-10pm. The shower/spa facilities were great! Really clean, and with all the required amenities available.

Convenient location if you plan on staying south of the Han River. A short walk to the main Gangnam area; a short cab ride to Coex and Garosu-gil and Apgujeong.

Room was a tad bit cold for a Hong Konger like myself and no matter how much we fidgeted with the temperature controller in the room, it remained on the cool side.

I'm not sure if this is par for the course, or if it was because it was the holiday season, but our room was decorated with balloons. My girlfriend loved them, me, not so much. A hit or miss idea I suppose...kind of creeped me out a little bit. I'll give you credit for the effort nevertheless!

All in all, nothing spectacular, but nothing bad to harp on save for this one thing...

I've waited a while to type this review so as to let my anger from my unpleasant check-out simmer down. One might call it an overreaction, it seems like the woman who handled my check-out thought it was, but I did find this one thing unnaceptable. What happened is I was lining up to check-out, and for whatever reason, only two staff were manning the counter, and two lines formed. I was next in line for one queue, and there was nobody else in the other queue. The two people being dealt with by the hotel staff were taking unusually long, and slowly the queue swelled behind me slightly. I guess seeing this, a third staff member took to the counter, and instead of directing me, the next person in line, to him, he called the last person in line. I had been waiting well over 5 minutes compared to the person he called over who had just gotten into the queue. I was a bit peeved about this, but let it slide. Thankfully, a fourth staff member got to the counter and I thought I would be served immediately, but a random person not even in queue just rushed up to her. The fourth staff member knew there was a line, yet didn't say anything or do anything. I thought, geez, am I at a hotel or McDonald's? I understand Koreans aren't the best with queues, but even at Starbucks this wouldn't have happened. 10 minutes later, when the customer ahead of me finally finished up, I paid for the expenses and explained, in a frustrated tone, but not over the top, to the person at the counter my frustration, and she simply smiled. No apology. No explanation. Nothing. Some might consider this petty, but on principle I think the staff were wrong and I deserved at the least an apology. I think it's disrespectul to let a customer wait well over 10 minutes for a check-out while calling allowing others to either cut in line, or just neglecting those who had been in line. Once again, frustrating but almost expected at a McDonald's in Korea, but at the Novotel?

I was having a plesant stay and content until my check-out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
NovotelSeoulGN, General Manager at Novotel Ambassador Seoul Gangnam, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Gilbert W,

Good to hear that you enjoyed the stay, even if you are not a fan of ballons. What you experienced on Check out definetely should not have occured and I apologise that it marred you overall positive view of the hotel. We will review your comments with my front office team to re inforce the fact of their importance and how they serve our guests is so important to our guest overall hotel experience.