“Very good hotel with Korean twist”

InterContinental Seoul COEX
Ranked #33 of 542 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed in IC Coex at least a dozen times. It is a very good business and tourist hotel. Great spread during breakfast. My recent stay, they upgraded me to a suite. Double the size of a normal room. Very nice and roomy. However, the room layout are not well thought out. It seems to be they really didn't utilize the extra space very well. What drives me crazy is the color of the carpet. It is green and feels like you are always standing on a golf course.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent fantastic review of our hotel and your continued patronage, much appreciated.
The team will be very happy about your comments on their levels of service and attention to detail and I am always very pleased and proud to hear when our team deliver so well.

Our breakfast as you have mentioned is always something we are getting great feedback on and our green carpet is also quite often a talking point.
With the Bongeunsa temple located directly across the street the intention was to bring the cool and relaxing feature of the outdoors into our renovated rooms. This is a common theme throughout the hotel however appreciate you sharing your personal feedback.

Thank you once again for you fantastic acknowledgement of our team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Seoul, Coex when your travels next bring you back to Seoul.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,598)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My family and I stayed for 4 days in 2 rooms and we had a ball, the hotel and its staff were 1st class and we could not have been more pampered, great location, the city is awesome so thanks for the experience and keep up the good work, we'll done all.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank B p
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent fantastic review of our hotel, much appreciated.
The team will be very happy about your comments on their levels of service and attention to detail and I am always very pleased and proud when our team deliver so well.

As you have highlighted our location is really second to none with great access to the many areas and highlights of Seoul especially Gangnam and its recent fame...!
With direct access to the Mall downstairs, a short underground walk to the subway station and direct access to both Incheon and Gimpo airports via limousine bus we are a great place to base yourself when visiting Seoul.

Thanks once again for your fantastic feedback on our hotel and team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Seoul sometime in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had the privilege of staying at the Intercontinental Hotel for 6 nights. My room was large, well furnished and very comfortable. I never met the person who serviced my room every day but he/she deserves 5 golden stars for doing an excellent job - thank you!!
Thank you also to the professional staff who were extremely helpful, polite and attentive at all times. They did their utmost to make my stay memorable.
Breakfast was very generous with a huge amount of choices to satisfy every individual's taste.
I was visiting with my daughter and son-in-law and they agree with all that I have written.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I will contact you separately to try and identify the housekeeper who took care of you during your stay to personally thank them for their great service...!

I am very pleased that you have all enjoyed your time here with us at the InterContinental Seoul, Coex and hope to be able to welcome you back to our property sometime in the near future.

Thanks again and,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

As the hotel was full, I got an upgrade to premium suite with two bathrooms and large rooms. The only question was the position of wonderful large plasma TV - it was on the wall in front of the other wall. Basically in order to watch it you just have to stand in front of it, as both sofa and bed are just too far and in a different angle. But in general, very modern and pleasant atmosphere.

Hotel has nice sauna - it costs 24 thousands won or so, and although slightly overpriced, worth visiting. There are two saunas (dry air and humid), and several baths with water of contrasting temperatures. Very much like in Japan, but there it is usually complimentary for hotel guests and has thermal water.

But the biggest surprise was the lobby bar. As it was my first time in this country, I didn't know the exchange rate so I thought that 94 thousands won is not a large sum. I mean, it was just a nearly fast food level burger, simple green tea and small cheese plate. But what an amusement it has been to me to realize that I just paid nearly 90 dollars for absolute junk food - it is simply beyond my comprehension. That smells more like a fraud, no wonder they are next door to a casino.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Raul,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel here on Trip Advisor, much appreciated.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and managed to utilize our spa and sauna facilities whilst in house. I hope you also took the opportunity to use our fitness centre which is complimentary for in house guests including the indoor swimming pool which boasts a fantastic outlook over the Bongeunsa Temple across the street...?

Naturally I was disappointed to hear of you dissatisfaction with the Lobby Bar and its quality and pricing of food. As you have highlighted, yes we are connected to the Casino however as we are both independently operated this shouldn't have any impact on either the quality or offerings from our hotel.

My apologies for not being able to meet your expectations on this point and I will certainly share your feedback with the team and personally take a look at the current presentation of these items.

Whilst only your first visit to Seoul, I do hope that should you return to Korea that you will again choose the InterContinental Seoul, Coex as your base when visiting our wonderful and vibrant city.

Thanks again and best Regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

In all my years of travelling, I have never come across such friendly and attentive service. From the greeting when we arrived to the day we left, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were at a conference in COEX, so it was really convenient.

For some relaxing time out, the Buddhist Bonguensa Temple right opposite the hotel was an oasis of calm (especially when the monks were chanting); and I also enjoyed a visit to the lovely gardens at Seonjeongneung Royal Tombs (about 25 minutes to walk there, or a short taxi ride). To get into the city centre, I used the standard taxis, which were cheap.

We stayed on the Executive Floor, and the Executive Lounge was superb, with excellent staff in attendance. Breakfasts and snacks were first class. Our bedroom on the 28th floor overlooked the Buddhist Bonguensa Temple and the river in the other direction. Pool/spa area was well maintained and the pool is large. Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel was appreciated.

Although the hotel is quite expensive, the staff and the facilities made it a worthwhile experience - so we will return!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the Buddhist Bonguensa Temple.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

What a compliment for you to share that after all your travels you feel our hotel has given you the friendliest and most attentive service throughout your stay here, the team will be so proud to hear this as I am.

I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to get out and about and explore some of the true national treasures of Korea right on our doorstep, they certainly are worth a visit as you have highlighted.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Staff were warm and friendly. North American hospitality industry folks could learn a lot.
Breakfast was superb - coffee was ok but plentiful
The beds were super comfy and the room was modern and very clean
The exercise facility was perfect overlooking the budhist temple

We only had one teeny issue....as evidenced by the pictures there was a "step" entering the bathroom. My wife ended up stubbing her toes twice during the night which was a drag as she had some trouble walking after. They could easily fix this with a ?ramp? or bevel the granite.

Room Tip: Check and see if you can get a room without the "lip" as it can be painful in the middle o...
1  Thank frubens

Dear Guest,

You also highlighted our very popular breakfast buffet which we continually receive very positive feedback on and like you, would recommend all our guests to try before venturing out into bustling Seoul.

I was sorry to hear about your wife stubbing her toe on the bathroom step and I hope that she is ok now? I will also raise your suggestion with our team to see if there is anything that we could do to prevent this from happening to other guests in the future, however I am not sure if it is possible due to the design, but thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you once again for you fantastic acknowledgement of our team and hotel and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Seoul, Coex when you next visit Seoul.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is an extremely comfortable hotel. The staff is really helpful and polite. Going that extra mile to help you find the perfect place to visit or the closest restaurant or even the best ice-cream nearby! One should absolutely visit and use the fitness area. It is extraordinary to exercise and view the temple just across the hotel. This temple is comprised of many different buildings and nice gardens and when inside you feel very calm and happy just to be there, even though outside is a very busy street! I cannot recommend enough the excellent selection at breakfast and in the brasserie buffet. Ask for a room high and enjoy the city view alongside with the temple. The only reason I am not giving it 5 is the prices!! They are really very expensive. On the positives you are just next to the convention center COEX should you be attending any congress there! This is at least one of the reasons to pick this excellent hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and with a view to the city and Buddhistic temple across the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent excellent review of our hotel, much appreciated.
"Excellence everywhere you look" what a great compliment.

It always makes me and the team very proud when guests highlight the level of friendliness and service that is provided, this is what we all work so hard at to impress.

I was pleased to hear that you also enjoyed our very extensive Fitness Centre, Cosmopolitan, with its wonderful outlook over the tranquil Bongeunsa Temple which is a real retreat from the usual hustle and bustle of Seoul as you have mentioned.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Seoul in the near future.