“What a nice view on the old temple place”

InterContinental Seoul COEX
Ranked #33 of 542 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This big hotel at the Coex convention centre is centrally situated in the business district of Seoul. With a beautiful view from the frontside on the old temple complex, it is showing the beautiful mix of old and modern Seoul of today. The rooms are a bit old. The quality of the bed is good but bit firm. The bathroom is old and of 3 star quality. The lobby is OK and the restaurants have big variety of food. The breakfast is good. On the top floor there are nice restaurants and bars with spectacular view. Generally the staff is friendly and helpful. The value of this hotel is too low for the money you pay. Room rates and prices for drinks and food are really too high.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,598)

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have been here twice now, this is a nice hotel to stay. Almost 1 hour away from Incheon Airport. I have only been there on business trips. it has a convenient location and a Lotte duty free shopping centre below. Very good service and terrific breakfast!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed in Dec 2012. Love this hotel as near COEX. Easily accessible by airport bus and stop at hotel. Room is clean and well maintained. Try to go opposite the hotel for local meal and temple. It is a bit off the main shopping district. But it is not a problem for me. Will be back again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The intercontinental Seoul COEX is a wonderful hotel. I really enjoyed the 25 meter pool and excellent gym. The service at this hotel, specially the front desk was above my expectations. The hotel is so convenient with a mall in the basement with tons of restaurants and a large movie theater. It is also nice to have a casino on the second floor. The hotel offers a free small golf driving range too. I will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Location - SO I stayed here during the winter month for a business trip for 3 weeks. It's kinda of perfect for me because our office is right next door in the CoEx building. So for the first one week I was in Seoul, I didn't even have to get out of any building structure (so cold outside). There was a tunnel connecting the hotel to a shopping complex (with all you need, food, movie, clothes, ice rink, etc.) and the office building on top.

Rooms - I have stayed at quite a few IntCons. This is one of the better ones. Nice size room, newish looking, great view (of course from higher floors), all bells and whistles for a hotel this grade

Service - I generally experience better services in Asian luxury chains vs. same luxury chains on other continents. This one is no exception, and in a funny way, tops all. So some of the standard stuff (considerate, warm greetings, speedy response, etc.) you'd expect from IntCons, I will skip. I will just talk specifically about one incident that got all my friends laughing and agree to my assessment of the great service I got. One evening, I set up a wake up call for the following morning to go somewhere. The tour was cancelled. I had a late night. So I was completely tired and determined to sleep in the following morning. But I didn't cancel the wakeup call. In the morning, the phone rang for the wakeup call. I guess it rang couple of times. I didn't pick up, still tired and from past experience, the wakeup call would just go away. The phone finally gave up, but a few minutes later, I had someone ringing my door bell, persistently. This time, I had to drag myself out of the bed. It was the staff from downstairs, making a personal visit to make sure I got woken up as I wished. :). They also loaned me a humidifier during my stay.

Food - I only had breakfast there every morning. It was a feast. Tons of fresh choices (to think it's still winter time)

Room Tip: negotiate rate for long stay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I travelled to Seoul on business and stayed for the first time in this hotel. The friendliness of the staff and thoroghness they displayed in helping you out even on monior matters are incredible. The room is on the small side with dark patterned wall papers which is not too of my taste.

I like the location of the hotel which is linked to the co-ex shopping and conference complex with lots of food and shopping choices via a walkway. Airport bus stops nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have only stayed at 3 Intercontinental hotels, but this one was by far the best. The hotel was clean and modern. The room was exceedingly nice and the staff was efficient, professional and friendly. I had a little trouble with the wi-fi card offered in the room, and the staff immediately refunded the fees associated with the card even though I hadn't asked for a refund.

The hotel is attached to a large mall which connects to the subway. This was a very nice feature while visiting during the winter, since 99% of your walk to the subway is underground and thus protected from the cold weather and/or snow.

I was visiting on business, and the hotel is very close to the main Gangnam business area (two subway stops, I believe) and no more than 115 minutes by taxi, even during peak traffic times. The only confusion I experienced is that taxi drivers often drove me to the wrong Intercontinental, despite my telling them that I was at the COEX and also my providing the address in Korean characters. I'm not sure if there is really a way to avoid this confusion, but luckily the hotels are very close together.

I had one day for site seeing around Seoul, and found that this hotel was quite far from many of the tourist-type sites I wanted to visit. So, while I highly recommend the hotel for business, if you're traveling for vacation, you may want to map out the areas you want to attend to see if this hotel's location will work well for you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business