“Business traveler haven in Korea”

InterContinental Seoul COEX
Ranked #28 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Wesley Chapel, FL
“Business traveler haven in Korea”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Have stayed in this hotel for as much as 45 days in 2011 and 10 days so far in 2012 on Business. One trip was for 21 of those days and service was outstanding during every one of the stays. The hotel does get fully booked, so early reservations are a must, there are several times during the year that the hotel is booked as much as a year in advance due to the proximity of the convention center connected to the hotel. they do accomodate relocations as needed if rooms are not available as there are 10 hotels in the proximity of the COEX. I would chose this one over those other hotels.

Room Tip: Book Early!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Darren M, Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Seoul and thank you very much for your wonderful comments and feedback about the InterContinental Seoul, Coex.
Our team take great pride in the service they provide to our many guests and will be very happy to hear your great feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Seoul and more importantly the InterContinental Seoul, Coex and thank you so much for your recommendation to others.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Staying here the 2nd time for Business. 1st time during an exhibition in the COEX Seoul. Perfect since its is part of the COEX Mall and the COEX Exhibition Area. So no need to take a cab or go outside. It is internally connected so absolutely perfect for Business if you attend an Event in COEX...
Same like before, I am staying in a Clubfloor Room. Nice rooms, everything OK but not really new. Unfortunately the heater is blowing Sahara-Style winds even I set the A/C to 23°C. Also the "Toto-Waterspray-and-Cleaning-Part" of the toilet is not working. Heater and flush yes, but not the Korean gimmicks. Its ok but for 200€ per night I can expect it to work...
The Food (like everything else) in the Club-Lounge is nice.
Usually I would give this Hotel 3 instead of 4 Points because it is good but for an Intercontinental it is just average (I mean this as an compliment). The reason I give 4 Points is the Staff. I am travelling a lot but the staff in this Hotel is incredible. Everybody greats you, everybody who is in touch with customers speaks good english, you always see them smiling, you get help and support always from all sides. I never experienced something like that before in any other 5*Hotel.
Will stay here again when back in Seoul...

1 Thank Sebastian_Schmitt
Darren M, Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Dear Sebastian,

Thank you very much for your favorable comments and feedback after your recent stay with us here in Seoul.

Our location and direct access to areas such as the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino are a great advantage for staying with us and certainly makes for a convenient stay.
My apologies for not being able to rectify the issue with your room temperature during your stay as we do have a number of ways in trying to deal with the Korean winter and its effects..

What I was very pleased and proud about however is as you have highlighted is the friendliness and attention that all our team here at the InterContinental Seoul Coex display in our attempt to make your stay here in Seoul a pleasant and memorable one.

This in turn I believe will see you choose the InterContinental Seoul Coex again on your next visit and we very much look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in sometime in the near future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again and again…

Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I badly wanted to give the COEX in Seoul the 4 stars that I think it really deserves but then I had to stop. I had some of the most miserable 2 nights of sleep of my life here and it's not because of the usual problems (paper thin walls, loud partying etc.) instead it was because ef something much more mundane; the heating. Let me explain..

Now Seoul in winter is a cold place. Let me rephrase that: it is FREAKING FREEZING. Therefore one would logically value toasty warmth. The problem is, like the Japanese, the Koreans like warmth that one could raise Papaya trees in. Serious blazing tropical heat. Now all this is academic... I have been to Japan a zillion times and in good hotels one can always adjust the heat in one's room, right? Wrong! My hotel room was heated to approximately 80-85 degrees with about 10 percent humidity. When I tried to adjust it to the least warm temperature, the in-room air-blower still blew a Sahara desert breeze. Sleeping was miserable with a burning dry throat and oppressive heat. I called to complain and eventually they offered to change rooms to a larger suite (after trying to fix the heating) but by then it was time to check out. My 2 nights were horrible and thus the 3 stars. Everything else about the COEX was 4 stars. It is not an over-the-top fancy Asian palace type hotel but it is a solid, modern choice for business travelers. The bathrooms are OK. The breakfast at the club is MEH as compared to the one on the ground floor brasserie but that one costs. The free Internet I got was a welcome benefit. Would I stay here again? Yeah... probably but I'd try to get a larger room and hopefully travel in summer when (fingers crossed here...) the AC would work better than the furnace did. Amazing that my issue in Seoul when it was 18 degrees F outside was that my room did not go below 80 F.

Room Tip: Make sure that the heating issues are taken care of!
1 Thank S3CR3T3X3C
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback after your recent stay with us here in Seoul earlier this month.

I was pleased to hear that you in fact believe our hotel is worthy of a 4 star rating however naturally I was disappointed that due to your lack of sleep due to the temperature of the room we only got a three.

My apologies for not being able to rectify this during your stay as we do have a number of ways in trying to deal with the Korean winter and its effects, which as you have highlighted can be harsh.

Please do let me know if you are planning to return to Seoul and we will ensure you not only get a good night’s sleep but in addition hopefully you will give us our 4 stars which you kindly noted we should receive...

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we do hope that should you return to Seoul you will again choose the InterContinental Seoul Coex.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 9, 2012

i stayed here because it was walking distance to my Seoul office .. the room and food was nice ... facilities also great and connected to huge underground shops .. i love the big crab they served during dinner buffet :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Darren M, Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

As you have highlighted, our location and direct access to areas such as the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino are a great advantage for staying with us here at the InterContinental Seoul COEX and the Fresh Crab on our Buffet certainly is a favorite with many of our return guests… glad you enjoyed it also.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we hope that next time you return to Seoul you will again choose to stay at the InterContinental Seoul Coex.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I had a very nice stay at IC-COEX as a guest of Kotra in the summer of 2011. The room was nice, spacious, and clean with excellent views of the city.

For location, the hotel is right across the street from the ancient Bongeun-sa, which is a beautiful temple with a lot of history being the center of Korean Buddhism. It gives you a chance to see a cultural taste of Korea if on a short business trip. Hotel is about a US$15 from other hotspots of Seoul - if you have time, Seoul is a fantastic place for good eats, sights, and shopping.

The hotel has a top notch lounge on the top floor to host business discussions or relax with friends. Prices are high, but the atmosphere is conducive for good conversation. The shuttle bus from the airport conveniently drops off and picks up guests steps from the entrance.

However, my best memory of the hotel's hospitality was provided when I embarrassingly forgot my passport and some cash in the hotel safe locker. The seoul airport is at least 90 minutes bus drive away from COEX, and upon calling the hotel, the concierge assured me that they would get the passport to me by taxi ASAP. Their airport staff kept me informed through out the process, and worked with airport authorities to get me on my flight. I could not believe the service.

Room Tip: Room with a view of Bongeun-sa can be relaxing sight in the morning.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank hvnair
Dear Guest,

I was advised about your case recently and am very proud of the service which our team provided to you in this circumstance….
Naturally things could have been much worse, however not only did the team take good care of you during your visit but we also contributed in getting you home safely…

Our location is on the Southern side of the river which tends to be a lot more modern than the Northern side, but like everywhere, depends on what you are looking for.
Having said that there certainly are some cultural and historical places such as the Bongeunsa Temple, located across the street, and the very famous Samneung Park, which has one of the Royal Tombs within walking distance of the hotel.

Once again thank you for highlighting the service which our team provided and we hope that next time you return to Seoul you will again choose to stay at the InterContinental Seoul Coex.

Best regards,
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights on buisness.

Check in was very efficient. Room was as you'd expect from a top grade hotel, comfortable with all the usual amenities. Restaraunt and bars were expensive but good with excellent staff. Check out again very efficient.

When I'm in Seoul again I'll stay here again.

There is a bus service from Incheo nairport which stops just outside the hotel so no need for expensive taxis.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank John_from_Stafford
Dear John,

I was very pleased to hear you were well taken care of by our attentive staff and that your short break in Seoul was a pleasant one.
Most importantly I was very happy to hear that you will return to Seoul and choose to stay with us again here at the InterContinental.

As you have highlighted our location and direct access to and from the airport are a great advantage and certainly makes access to and from the hotel very easy.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again to Seoul sometime in the near future.

Darren Morrish
Hotel Manager
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I came back from Hawaii and by transferring with Korean Air, I stayed in Seoul for 2 nights.

Coex is a nice hotel, the staff are very nice & helpful, room clean, towels soft and, pillows & quilt are really comfortable!

Airport bus is very convenient which only cost KRW 15,000.00, I do recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Lynette,

We hope next time you visit Seoul you will have a little more time to enjoy the Culture and Excitement of this great city, and naturally return to the InterContinental.

Darren Morrish