“Open LATE - Restaurants and Bars Galore!”
Review of Itaewon

$115.00*
Markets of Seoul: Korean Markets and City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #54 of 794 things to do in Seoul
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Itaewon has got more bars and restaurants than you can visit! With a bustling nightlife that seems to never stop (I've driven past people staggering out of bars at 5 AM!), and a plethora of authentic international cuisine, Itaewon gives a great change of pace in the heart of Seoul. Traditional Korean restaurants are great, but, especially if you are a vegetarian, culinary variety is a great thing and that's what you will find in Itaewon. Be sure to look up (and down!) while you roam the streets; there are hidden gems everywhere! They really have a skill at using every cm of space available here. There's quite a bit of shopping to do in Itaewon, too.

Word of advice if you are planning to stay in the area... Find a place that you won't mind walking to/from. There are some pretty steep hills and trekking back up to your room at the end of a long night of eating and drinking can be tough.

1  Thank SarahB0Barah

Reviewed August 13, 2013

we went to itaewon one evening to check out the offering of bars and restaurants at the bottom of the hill, and what a selection there was!

restaurants offering food from around the globe, and there were some very well designed and interesting looks welcoming you in. unfortunately we couldn't try them all out, but if you want a plethora of mid - upper range restaurants, and more on the western side, this is definitely the place to go. there were also several outdoor and rooftop bars where you could relax and have a drink.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Itaewon is an area that is a must see. Muslims will go here at least for the Friday prayers as Seouls only mosue is located here. If you are after seriously good food, exit at No. 3 at Itaewon station. As you emerge from the underground, a mouth-watering aroma of grilled meat hit you...and you just know its halaal! I do not recall the places name, but on the right to the stairs is a Turkish restaurant. It's small, and quite busy at times, but bide your time. The wrap ha is sold there is heaven-sent, and the owner is very friendly too. He speaks english, Turkish, and Korean. It's cost effective and filling, and the cokes are sold at locl prices (not hotel prices).

The Area is generally trendy, and you would do well to stroll down the streets and look onto ech of the shops. Don't get caught by insistent shopkeepers for you to come in. I found that in some cases, if you even just looked in their direction, it was an invitation for them to launch a sales battle on you.

If you search for wifi, you can pick up free wifi in some areas.

The trade offers clothing, food, shoes, a number of bargain shops and is worth the sore feet and dedicated afternoon in the area.

We kept on coming back here for the Turksh wrap...it was that good! Oh, and it's across the street from Baskin Robins.

2  Thank Moey9
Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you want a real taste of Korea DONT GO TO ITAEWON!

We went to Itaewon to eat at a specific Indian restaurant the "Foreigner Restaurant" (named appropriately for that area in my opinion) and a bit of shopping & have NO desire to ever go back. The restaurant was ok not the best indian we have ever had but decent. If you have a desire for things Korean this is not the place for you it is totally Americanized. Granted there are people from ALL places of the world there it still felt like we were in America & not Korea. We had heard quite a bit about Itaewon therefor were excited to check it out, but sadly it was a disappointment.

The BEST part of the day happened to us on chance (the ONLY reason I give Itaewon 3 instead of a 2) & saved the day. After eating we just walked down the main street when getting off the subway just to see what it was like & were talking about getting back on the subway to go to another part of Seoul when all of the sudden there were these stairs....so we went exploring. WOW were we happy we did that! Beautiful city views w/ a mountain feel. After 1 set of stair we we up a second set & walked the mountain. We crossed over a bridge to the park & it was amazing! With the fog it completely felt like we were hiking in the Smokey Mountains but in Korea. It ended up being a wonderful day.

If you are a family or someone who wants to really enjoy what it is to be in Korea this is NOT a place for you. Also if your looking to shop this is NOT the place for you. Go to the Namdaemun Market or the Gangnam Underground Shopping Arcade where you will get way more choices at way way better prices. They a very pricey in Itaewon because its a tourist trap. I bought a pair of shorts I saw in Itaewon for 10,000 Won at the market for only 5,000!!!! Same things with like the chopstick, my daughter wanted this pack of chopsticks that in Itaewon were 10,000KW & we got the SAME 1s for 5,000KW at the market.

Now if you are someone who wants to party & feel like you are in the States then this place is for you.

I think if you have a limited time in Seoul don't go here it is a waste of time, but if you are in Seoul for a extended amount of time hey go check it out just to say you've been to Itaewon.

3  Thank TiffGirl4
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We visited Itaewon while on vacation recently, because our host recommended it - because they have some bigger sizes in clothes compared to other markets.

First of I'll say it was cool. I enjoyed my time is Seoul and everywhere I went. There are restaurants everywhere - just like most places in Seoul, and lots of places to shop - although like most other places the items start to repeat themselves.

The one thing I didnt like about this area was that it seemed like a "tourist trap" to me. Its known to have international food and foreigner friendly - which it was, but everything seemed to be priced higher than other areas like namdaemun, Insadong, yeongdeungpo underground shopping, etc. And honestly, there are most the same products as these other places.

I would recommend going there just because you are in Seoul and of course you want to see a lot of places - but don't expect too much different. I still had a good time, but didnt really buy anything except some drinks in a pouch on the street.