“An enjoyable stay”

and 1 more site!
Guesthouse Phil-house
Ranked #51 of 586 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My family enjoyed our stay there. It was clean and comfortable. Many thanks to all the friendly staff we met there: Joe, Ha and Serena and the boss Leo. Many good eateries around and easy access via subway to anywhere in Seoul. A good place to go near the guesthouse is the Wangsimni station which is 5 subway stops away. It has a multiplex with cinema, good shopping and food..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Guesthouse Phil-house

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I will never forget my experience in korea, all the beautiful places we had visited during our vacation. And of course the place we stayed, the PHIL hOUSE, located in Achasan, Seoul korea subway station #545. The place is very cheap, very clean, and comfortable and the most of all, the staff are very friendly even the owner was very accomodating, and that is MR. Leo. Also, we would like to thanks Serena the front liner for always helping us in every time we need something during our stays. We have appreciated everything.

We will definitely go back in you place! and we will recommend your place.

thanks !!!

Room Tip: just ask them waht you need , they can provide it for you
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Roboorico
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. It is a less than 5 minute walk from #5 Achasan Station (exit 3), then go right. It's easy to find.

The Metro to and from the airport is about 2 hours. To Anguk, about 45 minutes. So if you want to be near central Seoul, this may not be for you.

I was in an 8 bed dorm room with a bathroom in room. It suited my purpose.

Breakfast room was very nice and friendly people from all over, including Philippines and China.

Only thing served was Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches and coffee, but there is a fridge and people make their own food there. The kitchen is clean and well kept.

The front desk people I met, Ha and Joe, spoke good English and were happy to help with Metro, tour info, etc. and make calls, like a concierge.

The neighborhood around the Guesthouse is residential, but there are plenty of stores, restaurants, etc. I walked around maybe 10 PM at night and it's a nice walking area.

Nearby is Achasan Mtn. and a university, I didn't have time to visit there, but the people there can guide you if it's of interest.

Again, the best part is convenience to the Metro, but all in all, it was a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: I had to chsange rooms due to a snoring roommate.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank joshua b
Reviewed November 23, 2012

we had a great time staying in this hostel. First they upgraded our room to triple room. The room was clean and almost complete ( no toiletries were provided). The staff were very helpful and friendly. Although quite far from the center but it is very near from the subway station. I love their kitchen and living room too very colorful and unique. I will surely stay in this hostel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hostel is not like any hostel I have ever stayed in before. Our group of four stayed in two separate rooms and both were extremely spacious and clean. Although this hostel is further away from the main attractions (at least 20 minutes to reach final destination), I would recommend it for those who do not mind the commute because I believe the value of this hostel will outweigh others that are located closer to town.

Pros:
-Large, clean rooms, heated floors.
-Equipped with kitchenette and washer.
-Elevator access.
-Bread, peanut butter, jam, and coffee provided every morning.
-Less than 3 minute walk to the closest subway station.
-24-hour convenient store located on the ground floor.
-Closest restaurant and cafe are 3-5 minute walk, plenty of options on the main and side streets.
-Staff is friendly and helpful (helped us arrange transportation from airport)

Cons:
-Not a big fan of the wet-room style bathroom, where the entire bathroom floor gets wet after one showers.
-Bathroom is small
-Further away from city center and attractions.

Tips:
-Towels are not provided.
-Hostel not recommended for those who are looking to party out in the Hongik University area, as this on the opposite side of town.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2012

it is located eastern suburb in Seoul. only 15 min to city by train(subway) that runs every 5 to 10min. the station is only 1 min walk from the Phil house. this suburb is where you can meet local people. it is also 15min away from Gangnam(Psy) - southern Seoul!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heeknator
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had the most stress free stay for 5 days and 4 nights in this establishment.

The rooms were exactly like the ones in the website - huge, functional, and comfortable.

The location is also SUPERB.
While it is far from the center (Dongdaemun, Nandaemun, etc.), it was literally a few steps away from the Achasan Subway which was very convenient for us as we had three senior citizens and a toddler.

Going back to the hotel at night is also not a problem as the Taxi Drivers seem to know the place. We only say "Achasan Station" and they already understood.

The FAMILY MART downstairs was also very convenient...

Families with strollers and wheelchairs will also not have a hard time going up and down the establishment as it has an elevator you could privately access via a password.

Eateries are also abundant across the street.

It is very near the Grand Children's Park where my boy had a fabulous time.

The staff were also very kind, polite and professional.

Leo knows how to make his guests feel welcome with his small talks and what have yous.

Breakfast was basic (had it only on the first morning and that's it...).

BUT what could have been a perfect stay, ended a bit stressful and disappointing because one of their staff, who does not work on weekends, failed to endorse properly our Airport Taxi Transfer which was booked a good 24 hours before our departure.

I even re confirmed the morning we were scheduled to depart and the guy at the reception said that there will be no problem.

When we arrived in the afternoon, there was no TAXI in sight.
I had to follow up several times before we were informed that none of the pre-book shuttles are scheduled to arrive.

Had to raise my voice to get my message across as the trip to the airport takes more than an hour and the traffic was heavy that time it being a Saturday.

Long story short, a Van arrived a good one later and we had to rush to the airport having no time to have a decent dinner and buy souvenirs.

Worst, the senior citizens in tow had to "hurry" causing them a lot of stress and fatigue.

WHAT A SORRY WAY TO END WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN A PERFECT VACATION.

If only the guy did his job and endorsed properly.... :(

Hope they could improve on this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family