“Nice host & Good Stay”
Review of Daelim Residence

Daelim Residence
Ranked #110 of 587 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Safe & Neat place. Mr Jung, the owner, is very helpful and accommodating. My friend and I stayed for a night at Daelim and early next morning, we need to reach the airport by 7am. Mr Jung directed us the other night on how to go to the airport etc. But he was very nice, in the morning as it was raining, he drove us to the nearest airport shuttle bus with shelter as the one he directed us nearby his place do not have one. We are very glad he took the initiative and we can tell he is very helpful and kind. Thank you Mr Jung!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank tangotan7

Reviewed April 6, 2013

After about 5 Minutes or so once I stepped into my room, I've realized how much of a 'home' this room is. It has everything, some which you would expect and not expect that a residence would have. Equipped with a freezer, stove, washing machine (detergent included), computer, shopping trolley, toaster, microwave and lastly a high-tech toilet bowl (pretty cool actually.) What more could anyone ask for, really? Just five minutes away, lies AK plaza. The heart of Korean goodies priced much cheaper than anywhere else. Linked to AK plaza, is the subway station-Guro station filled with mini shops for your comfort. Who would forget, on the last day-the warm Mr. Jang fetched his car to send us to the Airport bus station, that was very generous of him.
Our trip wouldn't be as perfect and memorable if not Mr. Jang and his crew. Thank you. Daelim Residence is a place that will not leave my list of "favourite places"
Mr and Mrs Ali-Singapore.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank NitaAli
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I didn't really read any of the reviews before booking. I just noticed that the hotel had a discounted price, was an apartment style room and have 4 star rating. I wasn't expecting anything special, but on check in Mr. Jiang, as mentioned in almost all the other reviews, was their to greet me. They even put up notes on the wall and door greeting new guests by name.

My trip to South Korea was to just be a few days, but I knew I'd be spending a lot of time in my hotel doing some computer work so I was looking for a cozy apartment style stay. The room exceeded my expectations in terms of having to stay indoors most of my stay. I made a quick stop to the nearby supermarket and was able to cook complete meals myself. The apartment really is stocked with all the things you'd need and perhaps more.

I didn't have any problems with payments, but I it sounds like the other reviews were strictly a booking.com problem. Everything in the room appeared to be as clean as can be, but of course it's still a good idea to wash things regardless. I mean, I even rewash dishes and some utensils before I use them in my own house.

The room I stayed in had a very nice desk for me to set up camp and the computer chair was perfect for all of the sitting I had to do. I also rather enjoyed the indoor balcony. It was nice to be able to take a break from time to time and relax out their with a coffee.

In conclusion, this hotel is great for business travelers or people staying for an extended period of time. If your stay is short and you plan on hurried sightseeing you might not like that it's 20-30 minutes from the city center. All in all this hotel met and exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank mcfarljw
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at Daelim Residence for two nights in December. We were a group of five and we booked two rooms. Before the trip, I had some issues with the booking. I used booking.com to book both rooms at different times. During the first booking, the cost of a night's stay was deducted by agoda.com although I booked through booking.com. I called booking.com's customer service and was told that the transaction was not pre-authorised. I am not sure why the amount was deducted from my credit card. I had to cancel my credit card because of this incident. The second booking was done without any problems. Reading from previous comments, I think this is a common occurence. I hope Mr. Jang will do something about it.

Both the rooms given were great. Some of us arrived earlier and were given access to the rooms immediately. The rooms were very well equipped with all the necessities and more! We really appreciated the extra length that the owner went through to ensure that we had a great stay. The free hot coffee and hot chocolate at the lobby was great, the complimentary face masks and workable kitchen was also good. There were some minor issues as well like one of the chairs were broken and the heater was a little to effective but otherwise everything was good for the price we paid. At less than USD50 per person per night, we had a good deal!

I had a Korean registered cell with me so it was easy communicating with Mr. Jang. Although the residence is located far from the centre of town, we knew this beforehand and were fine with it. The subway was a short walk and was convenient..

Security is via access card and the reception is not always available. Mr. Kim who works at reception has very limited English but we expected that in Korea so I had taken up some classes to ease communication. He recommended a great Galbi restaurant which has members of my group singing praises until now!

I recommend this to larger groups on a budget who do not mind travelling to the town centre via subway. Our itinerary did not involve much travelling to the centre of town so it was perfect for us.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank AcesGoPlaces
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Daelim Residence hotel for a total of 6 nights in October and November last year. We arrived in Korea after 15 days of trekking in Nepal so we had a lot of clothes to wash. So we decided to stay at an “apartment style” hotel, which is equipped with laundry machine rather than a regular hotel. We chose Daelim Residence through online search and we booked through Hotel.com.
Perhaps we have one advantage over many other guests. We were born in Korea and we don’t have any language problem to communicate in Korean even though this visit was our third visit only since we left Korea in mid 60.
Our room and all other facilities were clean, efficiently organized and in good working order. The rate, also, seems to be reasonable for what they provide. The Chinese Restaurant (“Jinjaru” I believe) at the hotel serves excellent “Korean style” Chinese dishes at reasonable price.
Even though it is located quite distance away from central Seoul for shopping, entertainment and etc, we found that it was not difficult at all to travel to downtown by very extensive subway system in Seoul metropolitan area. On average it took us about 30 minutes from Daelim to downtown by subway including walking time to subway station.
As many previous guests commented, we were very much impressed by Mr. Jang who is the owner / manager of the hotel. He was not only a hands-on, dedicated and detail minded manager but also very kind man. He was willing to help us with any of our questions or requests. We will not hesitate to recommend Daelim Residence as your place of “home away home” while you are in Seoul. Most likely we will stay there again if we visit Seoul in the future.
john / vancouver island, bc, Canada

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John O
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed 12 days in Daelim Residence and here are my comments about the place.

Positive:

- washing machine with free washing powder
- kitchenette
- coffee machine outside the door from where you can take free coffee, also water purifier where free water is available
- fridge and a freezer
- computer in the room
- free Wi-Fi

Negative:

- first I was really impressed when I got a mail from the hotel one week before I arrived, hotel manager was worried that I might use too much money for the cab etc. so he sent general info about the hotel, instructions on how to come to the hotel and his phone number in case there are any issues, I still wanted some more info about the hotel, so I sent him a mail with few questions, he never answered to my mail
- most of the menu's of the computer in the room and the browser (IE) are in Korean
- Daelim Residence is far away from the city center, not a good location if you like to do sightseeing
- toaster was not cleaned by the housekeeping so it was full of bread crumbs when I checked into the room
- construction site next to the hotel so that is disturbing because of the noise
- dishes are not washed properly by the housekeeping so better wash them by yourself
- no hotel book in the room so you always need to go to ask from hotel staff if you need anything
- tv is big enough, around 42 inhces at least but TV screen seizes up or pixelates too often in most of the channels so it is annoying to watch that, there are at least 2 english movie channels, no english news channels available, tv remote control doesn't work properly so quite often you need to push the buttons many times when you are changing the channel
- heating system (air, water, floor) doesn't have instructions in English, only yellow "don't turn off" sticker
- washine machine is in Korean, there are few yellow stickers explaning the different button functions but not all of them are marked such as the water temperature and few other buttons
- there are only hand towels (3 of them) in the room so if you want to relax after the shower wrapped to a towel, you can forget that, better bring your own towels
- staff can't speak English, only the manager can, when he is not around, you are on your own
- there is no reception in the hotel
- there is no security in the hotel
- hotel charged one day deposit from my credit card, one week before I even arrived to the hotel, I selected "free cancellation" from booking.com when I booked the hotel, so nothing should be charged from your credit card if you cancel or change your reservation 3 days before arrival, so be 110 % when you do the booking or you might lose your money

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
10  Thank Kepluuttaja
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We made a reservation through the booking.com web site. According to the booking conditions that applied at the time of our booking, no deposit was required. Nonetheless, the management of Daelim Residence charged our credit card with a deposit. When we asked the management by email to return the money, we did not even get an answer. We finally reported the case to the booking.com customer service and got the unauthorized deposit back only with their help. Despite this trouble, we still upheld our reservation in the booking.com system. After some time, we contacted the management of Daelim Residence again to make sure that they also still held our reservation active in their system. Again, we did not receive any reply. Worse still, they blocked our email address and refused to communicate with us. We therefore finally had to cancel our reservation through booking.com.

In the end, we stayed at a small hotel in downtown Seoul, which was less expensive and much nearer to the city's main attractions than the Daelim Residence (which is approx. 20 minutes by subway from Seoul Station).

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family