“Restaurant after restaurant of charcoal grilled fish!!”

Grilled Fish Street in Dongdaemun Market
Ranked #118 of 741 things to do in Seoul
Houston, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Restaurant after restaurant of charcoal grilled fish!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I'm specifically rating the section of the street with the grilled fish and not the surrounding stuff- the street vendors, the stores, the hustle and bustle of bolts of fabrics being delivered on mopeds, etc. There's a small stretch of alleway full of restaurants that serve up grilled fish. The restaurant workers are all out, grilling various types of fish over charcoal. To me it smells good. I love grilled fish. I gave it 5 stars simply on the fact that I've never seen anything like this in the US and to me, that alone made it worth venturing to see. But even better, if you decide to eat at the restaurants, the fish tasted fantastic - fresh and relatively mild (at least the one I picked out was). Everyone's trying to get you to come eat at their place so it's kind of hard to decide because it appears they are all selling the same types of fish. I picked the place with the smiling women, because I liked their smiles. LOL. My husband and I pointed to which fish we wanted; we each selected different fillets. Then you go inside, they bring the side dishes (kimchi, miso soup, rice, shiso leaves, etc) and when the fish is ready, they bring it to the table. Most of the fish was about $6 each and there was one for $8. It was fabulous. As a warning, be prepared to have the grill smoke blow back into the restaurant when the door opens so for people with sensitive eyes, this may bother you. It did me but it's not such a bother that I wouldn't have gone or wouldn't go again. It's definitely not a tourist trap! Another side note, you might want to go to a coffee shop if you need to go to the bathroom, and not one of the fish restaurants bathroom. Um, it wasn't the nicest in the world. These directions are from the KBS website- Walk out exit 9 of Dongdaemun Station of subway line 4. Walk towards Jongro 5-ga to see the Daehakchon shopping center. In front of the center, take the road on the left leading to Cheonggye-ro and walk 100 meters to reach the food street on the right. The grilled fish restaurants are concentrated at the entrance.

Visited June 2012