“Overrated”

Seoul
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overrated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Food is terrible there! Have they ever been to China or Thailand? But apparently people don't come here for meals, more for dates and the owner.

Visited July 2012

• Korean first
“Goodbatmosphere, but Disappointed with the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

The atomospgere was great. Wine is served by nice looking korean boys. We ordered tom yang noodle and pat thai. Both did not have ciantro (coriander) in it. Tasted like tomato ketchup. Taste was kinda Ok, but you will be sisappointed if you expect real Thai cuisine.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Neither Thai, nor Chinese -- clueless on food and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

I rarely find myself writing a wholly negative review. My Thai China, however, compels me to reluctantly warn other diners of what they might encounter here.

This restaurant is not without its buzz and fans. That is in large part because it is owned by an actor, Hong Suk-chon. It also gained some additional notice when it was hit by a fire in 2009.

I was initially suspicious of any Itaewon restaurant claiming to blend Thai and Chinese cuisine, but a friend wanted to try this place. The menu selection is sparse (not always a bad sign), no other customers were in the place on the evening we visited and cartoons were showing on a giant screen.

I ordered chicken with "sweet and sour sauce" and that is when things went quickly downhill. After the first bite I realized that the "sweet and sour sauce" was mostly ketchup. It resembled, not in the least, any Thai or Chinese sauce. I pointed this out to the waiter and told him I would not eat it as it wasn't remotely close to what was on the menu.

The waiter had no reply. I suggested that he allow me to order a replacement. He said he'd have to consult with the chef. After a few minutes, the waiter returned and told me that would not be possible.

It was now about 40 minutes after the initial order and approaching 10 p.m. I was quite hungry. I said we would pay cash for my colleague's meal and we would leave. The waiter said I must pay for what I ordered even if I didn't eat one bite. I said I would not, left cash on the table for the other meal, handed my name card to the waiter, photographed the offending order and the cash, and told him he could call the police but we were leaving. He said I could not leave under such circumstances and I should wait for the manager to arrive. The waiter, however, said he didn't know when the manager would return as he was at one of Hong's other restaurants and had no way to reach him.

At this point, my patience had worn out. We left, never to return again.

• Visited December 2011