“Traditional Bulgarian cuisine”

Neighborhood: Itaewon
Oslo, Norway
“Traditional Bulgarian cuisine”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The food was really good, the service as well. Also I liked the decoration - made me feel a bit homesick. As a Bulgarian I can say if you like that food come and visit Bulgaria - if you think it's too far - ah well that's just as close as you can get to the real deal when abroad

Visited June 2013
3 Thank M_V_P_V_M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Belgium
“All the ingredients for an enjoyable night.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Although we went to Zelen Itaewon without having made a reservation, we were shown a very nice table in the annex straight away.
The atmosphere was nice and staff correct and friendly.
I don't know much about Bulgarian food but the Katak was to die for in my opinion, best appetizer ever. As a main we had stuffed chicken breast which was very cooked perfectly. Another couple shared a large mix meat platter which was a big portion of excellent ribs, sausages and burgers.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Meenanco
Miami, Florida
“European atmosphere, good food, need better customer service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I live in Seoul and have been to Zelen four times over the last couple of years. The first time, I wasn’t sure what Bulgarian food was exactly, but I was pleased with the food and the European atmosphere of the restaurant. They have a Facebook page now where you can see pictures and descriptions of the food. They do take reservations, but if you don’t have a reservation, you can still usually get a seat if you’re willing to wait a few minutes. On my most recent visit, I had the spinach chicken with cream sauce, which was good. One member in our party was a vegetarian, and she was happy with the vegetarian meal that she chose.
The customer service at this restaurant was disappointing. I made a reservation about five days in advance and asked if we could have a seat by the window. One member of our party was celebrating a birthday, and we wanted the window seat if it was available. The person taking the reservation said there was no problem with that request. However, when we arrived, the host had given all the window seats to other customers and stated that he didn’t know about our special request. Apparently, the request had not been written down. We were able to move to a window seat after 10 minutes or so. After our meal was finished, we realized that the restaurant offered complimentary bread. However, we were never served any bread. When we mentioned that fact upon paying the bill, the clerk apologized and said they forgot. In my view, this restaurant has some unique and delicious food, and it is worth visiting. However, they definitely need to work on improving customer service.

2 Thank Iconoclast526
Seoul, South Korea
“For the big appetite”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

in the last two years i had been a few times to the Itaewon branch, now over the last 2 weeks twice with friends to their Hannam branch.
Atmosphere compared to the Itaewon branch is much nicer - also as the place is not as big. Staff is friendly.
Food is same - big portions of Bulgarian food which means here lot's of meet and on many dishes cream. But all what i tried was tasty. For starter the cheese stuffed mushrooms can be recommended. The salmon ordered by my wife though was a bit of a let down - obviously frozen as it arrived much later than the other dishes.
Overall do not expect a culinary experience but a rustic filling meal with a good beer (one of the few places where you can get Krombacher draught).
Finally: The toilets in Hannam are ok whilst the one in Itaewon (at least last year) were straight forward disgusting.

2 Thank Ulrich H
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overall pretty terrible.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The food was subpar, not sure what they mean by Bulgarian because it wasn't, but that's what you get in most of these Hamilton Hotel lane restaurants. Service horrendous.

1 Thank ItaewonDude