“What a let down”

Ranked #15 of 123,158 Restaurants in Seoul
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Itaewon
Description: Braai Republic serves South African home-style cooking, focusing on our own sausages including boerewors, lamb chops and freshly-baked meat pies. Kitchen hours: (Monday to Thursday) 17:00- 21:00 (Friday to Sunday) 12:00- 21:00 Atmosphere: Open kitchen and Casual Tip: Come before 6pm - even on weekedays we get busy early!
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Took a friend based on the rave reviews in Trip Advisor. At the time of writing it is rated #1 restaurant in Seoul. It was very disappointing. There are some nice beers on tap but the food was average and the service was inattentive. It is in a restaurant intensive part of town and we passed many great restaurants to get to it. Don't make the same mistake.

1  Thank Craig S
thebiltongguy, Owner at Braai Republic, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time here. Possibly the number 1 rating at the time created the impression that we are a five star restaurant, which we've never pretended to be. Most of our customers come back precisely because of our service -friendly yet casual, the way things would be at a real braai in SA. Please drop by when your in Seoul again, and we can chat about it over a beer!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having never tried South African food, I was quite delighted to have sampled its cuisine at this restaurant. I had one of the delicious sandwiches that was stacked with meat. It was not just any sandwich - it was special. I loved the atmosphere and the service was great. I look forward to trying their other dishes.

1  Thank durianlover69
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Amazing food - the potjie and amarula cheese cake were to die for!!! Service was excellent, warm and friendly !! What can i say it's SA style :D

2  Thank VickiSA
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My South African boyfriend said that their food was like a taste of home. Now, I'm an American, but I thought the food was excellent. My lamb potjie was filling and tasty. The boerwors was delicious, but truly the best part of my meal was the Amarula cheesecake at the end. I was impressed with the homey atmosphere of the shop. The cooks and owners came out from the kitchen to chat with us and talk about the rugby match. I look forward to the next time I can go back!

1  Thank TimorousMe
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This place just feels like hanging out at your local. More a community vibe than a bar/restaurant vibe. Come in alone and you will leave with new friends from across Korea and the World. Enjoy a taste of excellent South Afrian food and drinks. If you are unfamiliar with South African cuisine; it is a mixture of Dutch, English, Indian, Malay, and other flavours all mixed together into a unique experience based on the rich and varied populace of the Rainbow Nation.

2  Thank ColinCas