“Friendly, helpful reception staff but poor cleanliness”

Ranked #111 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Location is not too bad - 1 minute walk into underground that leads to two tube stations, each about 5-8 mins walk away. Within 10-15 mins' walk to famous Doota building and to famous Gwangjang market. Even from the tube, most of the city area hotspots are within just a few stations away - maximum 5-6 stops away.
Hotel guests mainly from China/Taiwan, I would guess, as everytime I'm in the lift and also at the reception, I hear chinese language being used 70% of the time.

Reception staff are very helpful and friendly. They will have a chinese speaking staff at the reception at all times. Most of the staff can speak english adequately.

Cleanliness is the biggest issue for my family.
First room being allocated to us had some stains on the toilet seat and bed linings weren't very clean. My family was then relocated to another room (more quiet facing room) - toilet tiles were not in good condition and again, not very clean bed linings.

If budget isn't an issue, my family would probably settle for a hotel in other locations and not in Dongdaemon for our future Seoul visits.
If it's still Dongdaemon, we might want to try out other hotels and put this Ramada as 3rd choice.

Room Tip: Some room have poor layouts. No fitness room but nice to have the washing machine in our 4-beds room...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Richard T

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at Ramada for 4 nights after booking our trip to Seoul through a travel agent. This hotel was not one of our top choices but due to availability, we were put into Ramada and weren't disappointed, especially having read some previous reviews.

The hotel is at a good location, close to a number of metro stations and also walking distance to the night market. The rooms were spacious, comes with clean towels and sheets and has good wifi. There was also a washing machine in the room which you could use free of charge but detergent is at a cost. We didn't interact with the staff too much but they always greeted us with a smile whenever they saw us.

It's also very easy to take public transport from the airport to the hotel. From Incheon Airport, take the airport limousine no. 6001 for KRW14,000 per person, and get off at the stop outside Hotel Acacia(Western CO-OP Residence) the journey takes just over an hour with no traffic. Once you get off the bus, head right and keep walking til you reach the cross roads, and take a left turn. The hotel is only about 3-5 minutes walk from the bus stop. If you take the same airport limo back to the airport on your return, you catch the bus on exactly the same spot you got off.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aviophobia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The staff must be commended. I've had hotels be totally surprised that I required a non-smoking room (strong allergies) even when I've stated it in my reservation. However, the front desk staff (Louis Kim) immediately mentioned that because of my request he was putting us in room in a wing with a totally separate air system from the smoking rooms. That won me over.

The room, a deluxe twin, was fairly standard for a chain hotel. There was no washer/dryer, unlike what was mentioned by other reviewers. There was a cooker hood, but no stove. Odd. Otherwise, the room was all right, except that the shower stall REALLY needs to be re-grouted or cleaned. The black mold on the lower wall and floor is pretty repulsive.

Like almost all Korean hotels, bath towels are the size of a large hanky, but calling housekeeping should do the trick. Location-wise, this is in a a solidly old-people neighbourhood, surrounded by hardware and dry goods businesses. If you're the sightseeing type, this might bother you. However, I like seeing how regular citizens go about their business, and since my boyfriend speaks good Korean, we got to eat at solid eateries run by little old ladies, and had a good time walking through markets selling all kinds of deeply Korean foods, like pig's head and snails. I loved it.

Dongdaemun night market is a very short walk away, even on my short fat legs, so if that's what you're planning to do, it's a good location. Overall, decent value for money, but it's not for the picky of super-touristy.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jazzjunkie
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Me and my family including an elderly and a 2 year old just visited Korea from 5 October 2013 to 9 October 2013. We booked into this hotel for four nights. The staff are nice and speaks very good English. The service is good and responsive. The hotel gave me a free up-grade from 3 person room to 4 person room on the 4th Floor. The room is spacious with refrigerator, washing machines, sufficient cupboards and a nice and tidy bathroom. The only thing I had to say about is the pumping system maybe same in whole of Soeul. The toilet got blocked on the 2nd day of my stay as we figured out it can't handle more than 4 - 5 tissues. As to the location really convenient very near MTR and shopping malls. Will revisit but with only adults.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linytina H
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here because our travel agent booked us here.
There is no regret as it was a very nice place to stay, very clean and for the first time in my life I have seen a hotel room with a washer/dryer inside the room !!
We had 3 rooms as we traveled with 4 adult kids. All the staff was friendly and polite. The breakfast attendant cleared our table and greeted us every time we got there for our breakfast. The breakfast was good. The housekeeping staff was friendly and keep the room clean. The Front Desk always great us with smile every time we pass by.
We really enjoyed it here and recommend others to stay here too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PandaPetrus
Kang K, 제너럴 매니저 at Ramada Seoul Dongdaemun, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2015

Dear. PandaPetrus

On behalf of all the Ramada Seoul Dongdaemun, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your business and do look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future. We truly appreciate your comments and utilize this information to improve our operation to better serve our valued guests.

First off, I am glad to know that our staff was polite and courteous, friendly and also very happy that you liked the guest room is clean with all the features.

I will definitely share your comments with all of our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you soon when you visit us again on your next trip to Seoul.

Sincerely Yours,

Joung Joon

Reviewed September 14, 2013

When I step foot into the lobby I was hoping for the room to be better. Unfortunately, the lobby was the only part of the hotel which is 'nice'

The rooms very very worn down and the shower was just disgusting. There are moles and who knows what micro organism living between the tiles. Just disgusting. The room has a very bad stench which you will get used to it after a few hours though. The tooth brush and soap are not included in the rate. The bed sheets and towels are not clean.

Although it's not much cheaper than Lotte City Hotel, but it's much worse. I wouldn't stay here again even if it's free.

Room Tip: I can't imagine that is a good room in this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Y002Y
Kang K, 제너럴 매니저 at Ramada Seoul Dongdaemun, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2015

Dear. Y002Y

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Ramada Seoul Dongdaemun.

I would like to apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. All of our head of officer including

GM are concerned of your comment.

Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.

Concerning amenities of the hotel, we have changed another brand as you did not satisfying.

We had many test for guest’s satisfying before we changed it. Our goal is to not only meet the

needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as

pleasant and comfortable as possible.

I look forward to personally welcoming you and you will give us another opportunity to serve

you.

Sincerely Yours,

Joung Joon

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Upside: Staff are polite, helpful and speaks fluent English, rooms are clean, located close to the markets, very close to the airport express bus stop and rooms have free WIFI.

Downside: A tad expensive considering the location and the quality of the rooms, toothbush and toothpaste in the room are not free of charge. Approximately 20 mins walk to & from Dongdaemun subway station.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo