“Great Experience”

Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse
Ranked #99 of 534 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Although I didn't spend much time at the guesthouse but most of the time when I'm at the guesthouse I feel like very comfortable because the staff are very cool and very helpful. Got to know, Shin, Neal, David and other traveler too! Hey, send my regards to nathan and Roman if they still there. Shin and Neal I'm very sorry can't make it to say goodbye. Overall everything was very good. near to train station just that it is quite hard to reach the guesthouse at the first time but the glowing guesthouse sign during the night was very very helpful. Will stay here again if I go to Seoul next time!. Thanks!

Room Tip: Have to bring the direction map with you when you first arrive there otherwise you have to ask aroun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KimcheeGH, Manager at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hello!! I’m Sophia at manager Kimchee Guesthouse.
Thank you for choosing our Kimchee Guesthouse, we appreciate this expression of confidence.
We hope that you are satisfied with our service, and we look forward to serving you in the future.
We wish you good health, prosperity, and happiness.
Warm regards and happy travels!
Your Kimchee Guesthouse;-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Beijing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I moved to here for 2 nights from stay in gam hostel, coz I planed to go clubs hongdae. Lots of foreigners from different countries , I met some guys drinking every evening in the lobby. i was staying in 8 beds girl room,it was a kind of provide bathroom for it.If you love party or all kinds of ppl, here is good for you!
no breakfast,but 2 little market around.
5mins from hongdae station, exit 1.
15mins from club M2 and others.
20mins from hongdae station to Gimpo airport.

Room Tip: 4beds room is good less noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KimcheeGH, 매니저 at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hello!! I’m Sophia at manager Kimchee Guesthouse.
Thank you for choosing our Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, we appreciate this expression of confidence.

Daejeon, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse has fantastic staff who are very friendly and helpful. The facilities were clean and basic. I went with a couple friends and we only stayed for a night. The only problem I had was with the location of the hostel. It was a further from the central Hongdae area as well as Hongik University subway than I had expected.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
kimchihostel, Manager at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hi there ~ Thank you for staying with us and Thank you for sharing your experience at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse. I would like you to have a great... I hope to see you next time agian!!!
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We chose this hostel for its location, which is fine as long as you're not carrying any kind of luggage. It's quite a haul up the road from Hongkik University station if you have anything of weight with you.

Being it was a hostel, I had expected a certain chaos factor with the accommodation, but our stay here far exceeded that expectation. We booked a twin private room:

-Room was bare bones. A bunk bed with plastic sheets and a cotton sheet that doesn't even cover the plastic sufficiently. Towels came only after I complained to staff who had told us there were no more towels.
-Paper thin walls so you can hear everything happening in the rooms around you
-Nothing else in the room - not a chair or small table.

There was a list of rules I was asked to read as we checked in. The rules were reasonable as you'd expect, however none of them were really enforced.
-In the shared bathroom, toiletries were strewn about even though people had been asked not to do this.
-Our room was situated between two groups who partied all night, traveling between rooms shouting, banging doors and treating the floor as though it was their personal party space from 10pm to 7am.
-Vomit all over the toilet.
-Staff was at best mildly concerned with noise concerns despite the rules clearly stating that guests should try to be quiet after 11.

You might read this review and think "what did you expect - it's a hostel" and I had allowed some concession for that - but even by hostel standards this was out of control.

There are plenty of hotels and love motels nearby in Sinchon - walking distance to Hongdae. As a matter of fact, the distance to the Kimchee guesthouse from Hongae is half the distance you'll walk to Sinchon, just to give you an idea. You will pay marginally more than for a private room at Kimchee Guesthouse but you will have a world of difference in amenities and rest! I would not recommend staying at this hostel.

Room Tip: Go to Sinchon and price up the love motels located on the hilly sidestreet behind McDonald's.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello!! I’m Sophia at manager Kimchee Guesthouse.

Actually there are many people in Hongdae guesthouse, we're in situation of very young and friendly. Sometimes a little noisy and busy here, but it's a joy of travel I think.
We're trying to clean our guesthouse, and make it a better place. Thank you.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My first time at a hostel and it was truly a great experience. I would definitely go back to Kimchi Hostel because it was clean, afordable (cheap) and was located at a great location. The hostel is located in Hongdae, with many cute cafe shops, a shopping district as well as many great restaurants to eat at. It is also a 5 minute walk from Hongik University Subway station which is super convient for your travels. As for the night life, there were many clubs, bars and street performances that happens every night, so you will never get bored. The hostel also has a lobby room where you can chit-chat, eat, cook, watch T.V, use the computer and lastly meet many new friends. I would never get bored at the hostel because there would always be someone to talk to. However, the one thing that made my trip/ stay at the hostel very spectacular was the staff. The staff was all very friendly, helpful and positive all the time. The front desk (Martin) was great, he helped us with directions, as well as suggesting places to eat/visit and as well as teaching us some Korean. He was the 'go-to' guy when we needed help or had questions about Korea in general. Martin is very positive and lends a helping hand when needed. The next staff was David, he is a funny guy and would always like to make jokes to lighten up the atmosphere. He always suggested places to visit in Korea, and hung out in the lobby to talk to the guests. He also shares very funny stories. Lastly is Sang Ye who has a very optomistic personality, who is always smiling and energetic. She is someone who always lightens up the atmosphere and have great stories to share. All in all, the staff was great. All three of them would always be down to go out with us and share some Korean culture with us. Also, the staff can speak english which is a bonus when you don't know any Korean at all, and for Martin he is able to speak Korean, Chinese and English fluently. I felt very welcomed at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, and I don't think you can go wrong with this hostel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
kimchihostel, Manager at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
And..I want to eat delicious food together ^^ I really love you guys. 정말 보고싶어요^^ 히히^^
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my first time staying at a hostel instead of a hotel and I truly loved it! Everyone was extremely friendly and the staffs were spectacular! What I loved about this hostel was the location and the lobby area. It is near the subway and close to all the nightlife. There are music performances on the streets around the area and many coffee shops and clubs. In the lobby area, it felt just like home. Not only that, you can also meet a lot if people here. Everyone is open to hanging out together. The staffs are also very hard working. Every morning I would always see Martin there. He would always recommend us places to go and was always there to help us. We would frequently ask him where we should go for lunch and he would go on lunch break with us to show us around! Another staff we always see is David. He would always encourage us to go out and try the nightlife. Buying us soju and going to the club with us, he would always leave so early after he sees us having fun:( Sang Ye is another staff that works there only on Sundays though. She's a very energetic and fun girl:) Arriving to the hostel on the first day, these staffs were all just strangers to us. After seeing them almost everyday for two weeks, they became family and friends to us. When I come back to korea, I will stay at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse again:)

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JenLuo
Hi This is Martin manager at kimchee guesthouse hongdae, Thank you for staying with us.^^ We hope you had a great time while you were staying with us, We hope to see you soon!
And..I love you guys ^^ 사랑해요 보고싶어요^^ Really really^^ -Martin-
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Thanks for Martin and David. They all well to customers and just like friends. I have been second time to stay in kimchi and I will come again. Its good location. It near subway and shopping area, but quiet near the hostel.

• Stayed February 2013
kimchihostel, Manager at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hi!!! This is Martin manager at kimchee guesthouse hongdae,^^ Thank you for staying with us. We hope you had a great time while you were staying with us, We hope to see you soon and have a great trip!. 감사합니다!!!!
-Manager Martin-