“OK”

Ranked #408 of 580 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Kofu
“OK”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I'd seen some bad reviews but my first choices of places to stay were fully booked and I really wanted to stay in what was supposidely a cool area of Seoul (it isn't too great btw).
So...despite this I took a gamble anyway.
I was worried at first. The place seemed really seedy, it was down a dark back alley, there was a bad smell floating around outside and no staff were anywhere to be seen.
First impressions proved mistaken however, had no problems at all whilst I was there. The bed was big and though the Chinese guests in the nearby rooms were annoyingly loud that was hardly the hotel's fault.
Except for the occasional Chinese storms I encountered no other people during my time there, the out of the way area was good, all I needed was a place to crash.
Cheap, wi-fi and no problems.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap place to sleep and the most kind owner you can imagine, then this is the right place. Wifi, kithcen, bath and so forth are all in order, and the owner was the most helpful person you can imagine (far beyond normal politeness).

Of course, you should also expect rooms of the quality you pay for: they more or less contain a bed surrounded by thin walls, but that is also all most of us needs..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Villads E
Dalian, China
Reviewed February 9, 2013

If you're looking for an immersive experience in Seoul and meeting other foreigners, Alpha Guesthouse is great.

I arrived from Incheon International Airport and rode bus 6002 to the guesthouse, its a 10$ ticket, and takes about an hour. It is then about a .25mile walk to the hotel.

This location is excellent with a nice sampling of Korean dining as well as fastfood like Subway, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and several others. The instructions to get to the hotel are great, just be sure to look for the right bank, several have names beginning with a K, the KEB is what you want to look for.

The host met me outside the guesthouse late in the evening and gave me a quick tour of the amenities and checked me in. The room was big enough for a suitcase of luggage, bed and desk. Very small. The adjacent common kitchen area was comparatively as spacious. The hotel is set back in a quiet neighborhood. Bring a good pair of walking shoes or boots because you will do a lot of walking.
Shoes are not allowed inside, be sure to bring your houseshoes with you.

The transit system in Seoul is very clean and efficient. The tickets cost about 1$.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Aaron P
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Fresh rooms, really well heated when I visited in a cold december. The hotel managers where very helpful in all senses, the wifi worked well, it is close to the green subway line. For the price I really couldnt ask for more, its the place to go if you are looking for a place to sleep and recuperate during a one week visit to Seoul. Makes me almost not want to recommend it, so it remains a hidden treasure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Stensaxpapper
paris
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed there as it was cheap and conveniently located. We got what we paid for and I thought for the price the standard was high. The room was kept clean and as we were out for most of the day, did not mix with the other guests. Everyone we met was polite, especially the staff and the owner who created a family atmosphere for us. We are very grateful to her for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wendyParisParis
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked this hostel because it's cheap, strategically located to the places I wanted to go to, and highly recommended by my other friends.

I stayed in a single room because I didn't want to sleep in a mixed gender dorm room. There is a female dorm room but I was told by the manager that they tend to mix it up when the rooms are fully booked. So I decided that it's better to pay more for a single room than to worry about my safety.

Anyway, the room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfy enough. But there wasn't an en suite bathroom, so I had to wait for others to finish doing their business in the common bathroom before doing mine.

No free breakfast was provided, but at least there was water for everyone.

One of the staff members was a fellow Filipino so she was able to give me some tips on how to get around Seoul. She was very nice and helpful to everyone.

The owner of the hostel was very nice, too, and is very familiar with Filipinos since his family lived there for a while. This made my stay more comfortable.

The hostel is near eateries, shops, the subway and universities. If you're Catholic, you can just walk a few meters to Sogang University and hear mass at the chapel every 7:30 in the evening on Sundays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mitziec
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed in a single room in August 2012. It was the nearest one to my last location (I wanted somewhere near as it was my last night in Seoul and I had a lot of luggage), and it was the cheapest for a single room (at 35,000 won compared to other hostels in Hongdae going for 45,000 won).

The room was fine, big enough for me to sit on the floor with one 25 kg bag, one 8 kg bag and still have some space. The mattress was hard but I prefer that anyway. The main door had an electronic lock and I was given my room key. Wifi works well, and the biggest pro is that it's within five minutes from Sinchon metro station.

The only problem I had was with the air-conditioning system, it works in 30-45 minute intervals (programmed central control), i.e. it goes on, off, on, off, and it's the peak of summer so it got quite stuffy when the air-conditioning was off.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo