New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JIN Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seoul
JIN Guest House
You added JIN Guest House to your Saves list
Ranked #319 of 522 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Singapore, Singapore
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My second time back at Jin Guesthouse and it's still as perfect as I remembered it to be!

So starting off w the location, it's perfect. It's located at Chungmuro Stn, which is just a few stops away from the shopping places (Itaewon, Myeongdong, Dongdaemun) and is easily accessible to other places (a change or 2 of the subway lines and you can get to places like Hongik Uni, Yeouido, World Cup Stadium etc). The guesthouse is a few mins away from the station, depending on whether you get off at the right exit (Exit 3 if you're getting off from Subway Line 3 or Exit 2 if you're getting off from Subway Line 4).

So to those who are actually planning to go there, here's my directions for you guys: upon exiting from the subway line, walk straight down the path where you'll see outlets like Popeyes, Dunkin' Donuts, Tom Tom Coffee etc. Just before the movie theatre, you'll see a small alleyway. Walk through that alleyway and you're bound to see the words Jin Guesthouse!

The house is very clean, despite the no. of guests that they've got staying there and the fact that the only one who does the cleaning is the nice lady, Mrs Lee. The toilets are always spick and span and the room is neat and tidy.

I'm not sure about the other rooms but I managed to stay in 2 diff rooms cos of my 2 separate trips there - the family room and the 8-bed dorm room (which we got all to ourselves). my experiences w e rooms so far is that it's pretty spacious! the 8-bed dorm room was more than enough for the 5 of us staying in the room and the family room was more than enough for me and my friend! the rooms consisted of beds and a coat stand, which provides for ample space to move around and dump your shopping bags like anywhere in the room!

there's no private toilet and shower rooms, its for everyone to share. but if you're afraid of it being dirty, trust me, your fears are unfounded! it's so clean, i didn't feel disgusted or uncomfortable using the amenities at all! i dare say, its one of my most comfortable experiences using the toilets/shower than my experiences in hotels. again, wake up early if you're planning to bathe, or you'd have to wait in line cos there will be people bathing (erm, just to get this out there: there's the female shower room and there's the male shower room).

breakfast is pretty simple. you've got your usual instant coffee or tea, which you gotta make yourself. there's butter/jam and bread, which you can choose to toast if you want to. occasionally, there's eggs (either hard-boiled or scrambled).

my fav place in the house would be the main hall. there's the TV in there (sometimes Mrs Lee would be watching her shows) and 3 computers for you to use. it's a pretty good place to meet some of the other guests staying in this house! i met 2 australians, an american lady, a taiwanese girl and some fellow Singaporeans so its a good opportunity to mingle and get to know people from all walks of life!

now, the service provided by hyungseok and his mother was top-notch. we arrived at the guesthouse at 10am, which is 2 hours ahead of check-in time but we were allowed early check-in, which was very kind of them, considering e fact that my family and i were running on zero-sleep after a long flight. my uncle had some knee pain and mrs lee kindly gave us some medicinal plaster to help relieve his pain. it was really an appreciated gesture, considering the fact that she didn't have to do that.

oh, they've got a cute little dog, which is kept outside. it can be a good or a bad thing, depending on whether you love dogs or not. i basically am no animal lover, i'm scared of animals so yes, the dog was basically the damper. dont get me wrong, it's totally harmless and actually super adorable and very friendly, but it kept coming towards me and being scared of animals means that i do not appreciate having animals being close to me. but it listens to instructions so if you gesture for it to sit, it will sit (altho for a while).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank PsychedTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed with my friend at Jin Guest house for 7 days. We have no complaint! It is clean, had the friendly atmosphere, and most importantly very conveniently located close to amenities. Mrs Jin became our favourite person to come back to after all the tours and explorations we made. Thanks Mrs Jin for taking care of us the 2 chinggu from Malaysia.!

We would surely stay there again. the next time we visit Seoul

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank kakchaqsalleh
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

The guesthouse is conveniently located behind the Korea House near the Chungmuro station at downtown Seoul. There is a convenience store in front, so you don't have to go far to find your necessities. It also near key places of interest such as Myeongdong, N Seoul Tower, Dongdaemun, and a stop for the limousine bus to the airport.

The service rendered to us was superb. The owners were very nice, spoke adequate English and even assisted us in booking our tours.

In terms of security, I felt very safe while inside the Guesthouse. The doors had electronic locks and the whole Guesthouse was under surveillance all the time. The only problem I had was getting in and out of the Guesthouse. I had to carry my luggage for around 3 flights of stairs. With regards to hygiene, it had a common bathroom and toilet but it was always clean and toilet paper was readily available. You will also be provided with clean towels. The water pressure for the shower is very good.

The rooms were well-maintained and spacious. My friends and I booked a family room (good enough for 4 people), and it was more than enough for us. The only problem I had was that the dresser was too low, so we had to be sitting to be able to see ourselves. They did provide breakfast, free WiFi (good connection), and use of computers in the common room. Overall, I would definitely recommend this Guesthouse to my friends and will be staying here in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank engdv
CHINA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Check online to this newly opened hotel, to live with the attitude to try a hotel! This hotel gave me a lot of surprises, cheap, clean, owner is very warm, the service is very comprehensive, easy to transport in particular, but also very safe! Really like this store, have the opportunity here, some will choose to live here, it is commendable ~ ~

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

great location, 2 min from the subway and 15-min walking from myeongdong. the owner was nice. the only big drawback to me is the narrow and steep stairs up to the guesthouse, it destroyed my luggage severely :( (not recommend to travelers with heavy/big luggages). and there is no en suite bathroom, however, the shared bathroom was clean that don't make you feel disgusted at all.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Leezzly
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

The place, at first is not very easily located, but after asking a nice local, my friend and I managed to find our way to the guesthouse. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, as mentioned the train station is a 2 minute walk away.

My friend and I booked a twin room, but got a free upgrade to the family room (4 beds/2 rooms). Since the room I was staying at was located at ground level (there are other rooms on the 2nd level), you can hear people entering/leaving the house. Not exactly the best if you're a light sleeper, but it wasn't much of an issue for me. The floor is heated...really good if the weather is cold.

They provide toast, eggs, jam and instant coffee for morning breakfast in a nice cosy living room shared with others. The toilets/shower rooms are very clean. And the owner of the place is really, really polite and speaks good-enough English.

Also, about 5~7 minutes away you can find the Airport Limousine outside Chungmuro train station, which brings you to Incheon International Airport (approx 1 hour away).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank rachellow
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

i stayed there for two weeks with my friends. the location of the place was nice, easy access to the subway station and it was in the center so it only took 10-15 min. to travel around. when we arrived it was nice, they treated us well. but after a few days or so the mom just started to annoyed me. when we left the place, they would go to our room where were staying at...and who knows what the heck they could of done. the place was always cold, so i always had my blanket with me. the guy didn't even speak or understand english. so whenever we talked to him we had to use hand gestures. he wasn't even there when we arrived, and we had to deal with the mom who didn't understand english either. we ended up paying the next day and we paid an addition 30 usd to what he said in the email. they had extra blankets in our room, but they wouldn't let us use it. we ended staying there for the 2 weeks, because we couldn't find any places that were open because it was during the holidays. so we ended up spending our whole days out and only came back to sleep and take our showers there. we had some friends who were visiting us and they basically kicked them out of the place. it was rude of them, because other guest that stayed there brought guest there and they didn't say anything to them.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends