“Worth going to see”

Ranked #21 of 752 things to do in Seoul
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Though known as a market for clothes, for those in-the-know, this market is actually a foodie’s dream. Gwangjang offers a cornucopia of cheap, traditional Korean snacks and “street foods.” Try the giant mung-bean pancakes for an authentic, affordable treat.
Mountain View, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Worth going to see”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We wanted a traditional market experience which is what we got at Gwangjang. In the evening after work people stream there to buy things for their households or for dinner or for gifts for weddings or birthdays. Thus you see all kinds of goods in one place. We didn't have much to buy since we got all our souvenirs in Insadong. Instead we wanted to sit at a food stall and snack. There are so many to choose from that your best strategy is to find a stall that has on display what you want to eat and hope the quality and prices are comparable. We had pig trotters, mung bean pancake and jap chae, not any better than elsewhere, nor cheaper either.
But the experience of sitting crunched between tired out working guys and giddy gals headed to a party (judging by the fancy cake box they carried) while being served by a no-nonsense lady
working behind a shelf full of pig parts was really the closest we ever got to a genuine Korean experience all trip. Worth going to see, even if you choose not to eat

Visited November 2012

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Come here for food....”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Was surprised by the size of the market initially. Cannot do a full review as I came on a Sunday and many of the stores were CLOSED! =( But was still happy to know that the food stores were open. Many traditional looking Korea food here, and all inexpensive. Will definitely want to come back again.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank CalvinZheng
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

It was not quite good specially the restaurant and the menu.

Dongducheon, South Korea
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“traditional foodie market paradise”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

As a traditional market that you would go to in order to buy stuff, this particular market specializes in clothing, whole cloth, traditional Korean clothing, tailors, shoes, blankets and bedding, etc. We saw a whole lot of stuff like that, in any event. But the real reason any tourist or foreigner would want to go there is for the food experience. The market is famous for their mung bean pancakes, but the various food vendors there sell all the different savory and sweet pancakes famous in Korean street food, as well as bibimbap and various fish and pork stews and sausages and things like that.

It's basically a foodie paradise if you're looking for the traditional korean experience of eating street food and common Korean food in public with real Korean people. There aren't as many tourists at this market as some of the more famous ones like Dongdaemun or Namdaemun, and if you go early in the day, like around noon or before, it's not crowded and you can take the time to enjoy a relaxing meal sitting on a bench at one of the many little food places that are crammed into this place. They also have clearly marked street signs throughout the place directing you to the various exits and subway stations and local landmarks and the food court area, as well as conveniently located bathrooms, although I can't vouch for cleanliness exactly. All I can say is they weren't the worst I've seen and they seemed to be easier to find and use than some of the other markets.

I went there with a friend and we stopped at the first place we found that had mung bean pancakes and ended up talking with an older Korean gentleman that was so friendly and liked us so much that he bought our meal after feeding us some of his soju and offering us his cigarettes. I will be going back so that if I see him again I can buy his meal the next time, as we agreed.

Visited November 2012
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Know your cloth before you buy”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was looking for korean silk, korean cotton and korean linen - having read about them, supposedly cheaper than back home. There were many sorts of materials here but you'd better know how silk, cotton, or linen look and feel like before you make your purchase. The sellers said yes to any that you asked, "is this silk?" was my most common question since I know my cotton and linen pretty well. Fortunately, I came across some countrywomen who happened to shop for silk in a particular store which really had his walls lines up with korean silk - price wise I'm not sure cheaper than those back home, but you would be spoiled for choice. Glad I bought some. If you have a few hours to spare for shopping here, you could get some good bargains on cotton, which I did.

Visited September 2012