“Value + Good location + Friendly Staff”
Review of Amourex Hotel

Amourex Hotel
Ranked #308 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Good: ------------
We stayed here for 8 days and the Hotel staff spoke English well, I never had difficulty explaining myself and they were very helpful in guiding us around the area which we found was packed with convenience. Within a 5 minute walk there , is a major station with several major lines, most important of which is line 2, and that is the closest to the hotel ( exit number 2) attached to the station is a shopping center with many restaurants, a theater, and indoor water park. In the immediate area are many restaurants and most helpful of which are the cafe's which offer decent breakfasts and you'll often find young people who can speak some English and menu's that have English on them, also a there are 2 banks 3 minutes away which you can use to withdraw money without incurring ATM fees at decent exchange rates(and greater amounts then $100). The area is not very touristy but is safe, ( there is a police station and fire station) and all the tourist destinations are just a few minutes away by train. (average cost of a train trip is sub $1 ) To get to the hotel i suggest using the airport shuttle which will drop you at the station, and is faster and easier then trying to take the trains and having to transfer lines, find elevators for your luggage etc and only costs about $15. finally before getting to the room, there is a Japanese restaurant on the second floor which was nice but was a little pricey. Walking through the hotel, it did look a bit dated but is decent , and nothing as bad as I've seen in many American hotels, at least each floor had a different theme. Now the room itself looked very nice, well themed and decorated (romantic) with a nice large tv with a few english channels, a work computer if you didn't bring your own laptop, fast reliable WiFi, complimentary water and juice in the cooler, which got restocked every day and a nice large bathroom and tub. (the room itself was large compared to many Japanese/Korean living conditions) The room also sports a nice lighting system in which you can control the TV, the lights and the air conditioning with a single remote.
The bed was on the harder side, but I had a good nights sleep every time and on the good side it was nice and large so the two of us had plenty of room to stretch out. it was also very nice and clean and serviced every day.
The view was decent (10th floor), but the window was small, then again, on the good side, once we closed the decorative/functional shutters the room became nice and dark as well as silent. Another suggestion is to close all the doors at night, the door way has two doors one as a transition for when you take off your shoes, and the second door really helps block all hallway noise and is meant to be closed anyways.
The Bad:---------------
My biggest concern was the air conditioning vent is pointed at you when you sleep ( we had a deluxe single room) , so it became quite cold at night, we had to rely on cooling the room down at night and then turning it off when we went to sleep. another solution was to put towels in the railing in front of the bed and point the vents down. we stuck with cooling the room off before we went to sleep, and that worked fine. another idea is to not put the temp so low at night.
Conclusion -------
all in all, for the $55ish we paid per night, i thought it was one of the best values for a hotel that I've ever had, the staff were very friendly and helpful, nice big clean rooms. great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Victor A

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at this place with some friends some time in end March. The hotel is located near the subway station but do bear in mind that the location of this hotel is at the older part of the subway station, therefore, you will have to a few flight of stairs before reaching yr destination. There are lifts at certain locations but you will have to "fight" with the elderly to get into one. I had a big luggage with me so, it was tiring to take them up & down the staircase.
Oh, before I forget, there are quite a number of restaurants along & around this hotel. We had dinner at one of the restaurants (family restaurant) a few doors away from the hotel & we were delighted!!

Overall, I wouldn't call this a hotel; more of a motel. The building is quite run down and the rooms are rather old. However, the rooms & toilet are clean and so are the bedsheets & pillows. We took the family room, which can fit 3 -4 pax & WiFi is available (yay!!) We were impressed with the heated toilet seat!!

Would I stay here more than 1 night? I wouldn't want to because the area looks like a red light district.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ongjanice1
Reviewed March 31, 2013

its an awesome hotel, a bit difficult to find at first (behind the main street) but it pays offf with a deliciously large room with separate toilet and shower room. not mentioning remote lighting and in-room PC and large TV.

aside form that its also neatly near major subway station and just a step from airport bus stop, making airport transfer a breeze.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Papabear1234
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel is disgusting!! I went there with 4 of my other classmates and stayed four terrible nights there. We all thought it is some sort of "love hostel". ... I have not lived in one hotel this dirty and gross in my entire life. Firstly, the reception is extremely unhelpful. They are impolite, never smile, and never willing to answer any of your questions. Secondly, they have one male cleaner responsible for daily room cleaning. My friend forgot to lock her bra and underwear in the briefcase. When we come back, she found her bra folded and placed at the corner of the bed....he is not supposed to touch our personal items ok?! Thirdly, the room is extremely dirty. When you first walk in to the room, you will be able to smell something...On your first night, you will inhale a lot of dust from the airconditioning that is probably never cleaned. Give you one more example, they do not change the soap in the bathtub. YES !! you will see an old piece of soap from previous customer(S) in the bathroom. We all think they are not going to throw it away until it's all used up...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank tsangjoy
Reviewed April 16, 2012

it's my first time traveling alone and it's my first time to Seoul. I chose this hotel was mainly because of its competitive price and good location; it was cost around HKD700 per night and only took few mins to get to the metro on foot.

The receptionist was quite friendly and helpful although they couldn't speak good english. The room was quite big and there's a computer with internet access which was free of charge (since it's free, i shouldn't complain about the speed...)

The only thing i didn't feel satisfactory was the cleanliness, next time if i visit again, i will absolutely bring my own towels and slippers....

Overall it's a good hotel for those people who got limited budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank yowin m
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Having lived in Seoul for 3 years, a number of years ago, I decided to return with my partner for a vacation. We chose this hotel due to it's central location - close to Dongdaemun and Numdaemun, palaces, etc. was very easy to find - airport bus 6101 stops within a minutes walk. The room was clean and the bath and shower were great - endless hot water. Staff spoke good English and were friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Hurricanemacca
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stayed here with my parents when they visited me while I was living in Korea. Forgetting to warn my mom about not booking something that "seems" like a great price, she booked this place for 3 nights. It's in the perfect location - in an alley very close to Wangsimni subway, and right on the route of the airport shuttle. It's a bit sketch just because it is a love motel, but not awful. The bed I slept in was next to where the the box of "toys" sat. Room was a little smokey. The TV was gigantic - but too big for the size of the room. Also came with a desktop computer that had free internet access. Front desk was EXTREMELY helpful and friendly and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was a comfortable one. Even though they spoke very little English, they tried extremely hard to help us however they could and were very attentive to our needs.

• Stayed: June 2010