“The room was acceptable for the price paid.”
Review of Hill House Hotel

Hill House Hotel
Ranked #136 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The room was acceptable for the price paid.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Upon check-in, we were a little disappointed with the room based on the glowing reviews. After staying here for 7 nights, we were okay with the room considering we had only paid about $98 (US) per night.

Pros: Friendly and helpful staff who speak English well. The room was clean and the sheets were changed daily. The neighborhood seems safe and the hotel is decent walking distance from shopping at Namdaenum/Myeongdong and the train station at Hoehyeon. There were two free bottles of water in the refrigerator each day. There are some complimentary toiletries if you need them.

Cons: Upon check-in, the bathroom sink drain was leaking all over the floor until I re-attached the drain pipe in the back after being told by the front desk that we would have to wait until the next day and couldn't switch rooms. The bed was way too hard for a good nights sleep. It felt like sleeping on a piece of padded wood. The room was way too hot. We had to leave the windows open all night which is not so great considering all the noise going on outside all night and early morning. Also, we had a non-smoking room but could constantly smell cigarette smoke coming from adjoining rooms. There is no safe in the room, so I carried around my valuables for the the entire trip which wasn't so bad since Seoul seemed safer than most US cities.

(Tip: there is a decent food court on the 11th floor of the Shinsegae Dept. Store for about $10 per person. Also, level B1 of Shinsegae has groceries and many good to-go food items that are delicious.)

Room Tip: Upgrade the room. Most of the bathrooms in the traveler photos look nicer than the bathroom that we...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tylr d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The location
It is located on an incline but not as bad as some have suggested, although the walk from the nearest station, Hoehyeon station can be difficult for aged people. You’ll pass some small restaurants and shops along way. The roads are narrow but safe and clean. Don’t worry about the traffic because drivers here are generally very patient with pedestrians. Taxis all have GPS navigation, so getting there is not a problem, although it would make it much easier if you have the address written in Korean. The hotel is within 10 minutes walk to the shopping precinct of Namdaemun, where food and shopping is plentiful. It is very near to Namsan Hill, the first point of visit for most visitors staying here.
The room
We stayed at the Deluxe Double room. It is spacious and comfortable. The huge bathroom is consist of a spa bath and an additional shower. There is underfloor heating which made the room very warm, too warm for our liking, and we had to keep the double-glaze windows opened while we slept even though it was 5 deg outside. The hotel is so quiet and peaceful at night that we could literary hear the ‘pin drop’. I’ll have to say that this is the quietest hotel I have ever stayed at.
Breakfast
This is a simple affair. You’ll be offered fried eggs (sunnyside up), toast with butter and jam, coffee or tea. Eat whatever you have asked for otherwise you’ll get a stern warning from the Achuma for wasting. After eating, take all your plates, cups and cutlery to the trolley otherwise you’ll also get another cold stare from the same lady. I find this all very amusing.
The reception
The receptionists are friendly and knowledgeable. Spoken English is not a problem. This is a clean and well maintained hotel.
Conclusion
A good reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OnMyLastLegs
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My two friends and I stayed here from Nov. 1st through Nov. 12th. From Incheon airport, we took the 6015 bus which you can purchase at the airport for about 8,000 won. From there, the bus will drop you off at Seoul Station. From there, I can't really give you advice on how to get to the hotel because instead of taking a taxi, we walked from Seoul Station to the hotel since we had too many luggages and if we had taken a taxi, we would've taken a couple to accomodate all of our luggages. Now, it was an adventure trying to find the hotel. I give kudos to my eagle eyes for even finding the hotel amidst the other tall buildings. I had to ask my friend who read Hangul to make sure it was the correct hotel. The best way to know you are on the right path to the hotel is by the subway exit #6, and Pomato restaurant. You go up the street where Pomato is and keep going. Just keep going up the hill and you will find GS25 on your left hand side. The hotel will be around the corner of the mart.

Now once you get to the hotel, it's smooth sailing from there. Their reps at the front desk are super nice, very helpful, and spoke good English. I had my own room (3rd floor, room 308) so it was big enough for me. My bed was a double (full-queen size) and bathroom was big as well. I love that wifi was free and the signal was strong. It made it easier for me to communicate with my friends who stayed on the 5th floor. The bed was hard, but I think it's from the heating pad. I didn't heat my bed as I like it cold, but my friends took advantage of it. Breakfast is served from 8-10 am. Now, I know that everyone says it's just the basic eggs and toast, but darnit, my friends and I all agree that it's the best eggs, toast (w/ butter and jam), coffee, and orange juice breakfast! The cook is stern but nice and we laugh at the new guests who has their first interaction with her because she does come a bit too strong. Nonetheless, she's sweet and she makes that breakfast so good!

Oh yea, you can get a converter with a deposit of 10,000 won. You get your money back after you turn the converter in. As for the T-money pass for the subway, you can get it at the GS25 store for about 2,500 won then load it. Our initial load was for 20,000 and that lasted us for about 9 days with it as our only means of transportation since it was the most convenient and fastest way to go from city to city. We only had to reload it once for 5,000 won (which you could do at any subway station) and before I left, I still had about 2,000 won left in it.

When you leave the hotel to go to Incheon Airport once your trip is over, we had the hotel reserve a "jumbo taxi" for us, which was a van. It was a flat fee of 70,000 but it was sooo worth it because they pick you up from the hotel and drop you off at the airport. I believe the other alternative was to take the bus, but we would have to walk to Shinsegae department store with all of our luggages in order for us to do that, and the cost was 14,000 each person. With the jumbo taxi, we split the fare three ways, which was only 26,000 each person and that saved us time, energy, and it was super convenient! So if you have a lot of bags and you are traveling with more than one person, the jumbo taxi is what I would recommend to take you to the airport.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank mellowdramatik
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Room condition is clean. Staffs are good in English, Japanese and Mandarin. Wifi is ok and LAN port is available in the room. However, the LAN didn't connect to the Internet. I used the pocket wifi to keep online.

Location actually is not too bad. Close to the Hoehyeon station exit 1. Just all the way walk up the slope. The slope is not too deep. There are some local restaurants. Myeong-dong is just 5-10 minutes walk. Very convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nckchan
Singapore
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Can't say enough good stuff on the wifi and location - extremely close to Namendum Market & Myeongdong for excellent food and shopping and the WiFi met the expectation totally! Still felt the easiest avenue to get to the hotel is by train (Hoehyeon station), getting to the hotel by airport coach - 6015, is fine except it might be a bit more confusing to walk. Beware of the 8 minutes uphill walk though it is somehow comfortable to know that we were draining some of the extra calories that we feasted, haha! The biggest disappointment is the missing of the bathtub! Part of the reason for booking Hill House was the luxurious bathtub featured, and though the description listed a deep bathtub, the space where the tub should be is totally empty.

Room Tip: It's good to check out rental of entire apartment if you have a big group, from sites like airbn...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple