Book In Advance

from $59.00
from $95.00
from $84.00
4,985 results
All reviews residential area traditional korean houses narrow streets old village hanok village anguk station walking tour nice walk walk around gyeongbokgung palace art galleries take pictures joseon dynasty homes tourists hanoks hanbok
Selected filters
Reviewed January 8, 2013

quite ok for those who like to see the traditional houses
however, we did read about the history and etc about this houses at the museum before entering the area....its ok if you didnt choose to look at the houses.. all sorts of information can be found at the mueseum
we walked quite a distance from end to end of this area
its a great experience nonetheless.. there are tourism staff available to assist you should you face difficulties in finding the houses
down the hill...is an array of boutiques, cafes and etc
lotsa coffee shops/cafes...

Date of experience: May 2012
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Awesome juxtaposition between traditional Hanok rooftops with the Seoul skyline in the background. You will get some absolutely picturesque shots here. Do drop by the tourist information center to get the handy map with photospots clearly marked for the camera-totting tourist! Also, there are all sorts of arts/handicrafts/cultural experience workshops. We didn't get to try any but they look really good!

1  Thank Ziyan C
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nice but a bit disspointed as there isnt much to see. There are some good houses and residents are well off judgibg by their cars etc. Fairly commercialised

Reviewed January 3, 2013

After taking the city bus tour (hop on-hop off), I chanced upon a website in their brochure where you could book a walking tour in a hanok village. When the day came, I wasn't sure if I would show up or not because of the cold. In the end I did. And now I would like to go back there sometime!
What was so good about the tour? Well, the volunteer guide was a friendly, engaging chap. And the village itself was a sight to behold - with snow covering the rooftops and the green pines.
We got the chance to do some interactive touristing: gold leaf imprint (spent about an hour there!!!) and dyeing. Of course you would have to pay for the materials (e.g. 100% silk scarf, silk bookmarkers or cards) used during the 'demo' but it was worth every won!
I spotted a hanok that accepts people wanting to stay in to experience the life. I hope to do this the next time I visit Korea (preferably in spring). It should be very interesting to be exposed to how Koreans lived in the past, wouldn't it!!!
My big regret: going there on a Monday so the embroidery and knot museums (2 Korean things that fascinate me) were closed. But I shall return!!!
A TIP: you could explore the village (where we went was in the ANGKUK stop) on your own. But to save time, it is best to ask a volunteer tour guide to accompany you. Hope you get as lucky as we are to get a very affable one! We even got to have coffee and donuts in a nice office with his churchmate, a soft-spoken journalist who spoke English. You can check out the Korean Tourism website for info about how to book one.

4  Thank JustJulie58
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Seeing these homes - and people are still live in them today is amazing. It is very quaint and worth walking the neighborhood. If you watch Korean dramas, you'll recognize that they use these houses and streets a lot as the setting for their stories.

Date of experience: October 2012