“Nice hotel but the operation needs some "tweaking"”

Yeoksam Artnouveau City I
Ranked #240 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Toronto, Canada
“Nice hotel but the operation needs some "tweaking"”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Overall it is a nice hotel in a very good location.

But the service at the front desk lacks quite a bit, namely in what regards to the understanding of the English language. I tried to extend my stay by a couple of nights, did it with the front desk, over the phone, and was told it was OK and that I could confirm my additional stay in the morning. But the next morning I was surprised when I was told the hotel was fully booked and I could not stay. Make sure you talk to the front desk staff in person and that they understand what you want or need.

Very nice buffet breakfast but be warned that, on weekends, service is over by 9:15am (which is way too early!) and the kitchen staff starts picking up the food left on the counters at 9:30am on the dot!

Be aware that there is another hotel nearby with a very similar name and make sure that, if you come to the hotel by taxi, you give the driver the exact address and may be ask him to call the hotel to make sure they have your reservation.

If you arrive at the inchon airport you can choose to use a bus + taxi to get to this hotel. It will cost you Won 15,000 for the bus + won 5,000 for a local taxi (and there are plenty of them). Or choose a taxi all the way from the airport for about Won 90,000.

Note: have fun using the state-of-the-art toilet with some special cleaning features :) !

Room Tip: Room 706 is very nice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Amongst all the hotels that we'd stayed in, this hotel was our favorite! The hotel was fairly new and had a unique decoration - victorian theme. We stayed in a 'Crystal' room. The apartment was not very spacious, however, they had used the space very efficiently. The apartment had everything that we needed. Even more.

As we love eating out and trying new restaurants, we did not even use the kitchen at all. However, if we would have stayed there for longer, it would have been very useful.

Everything was very intact, well maintained, spotlessly clean. Yes, the bathroom was small but it didn't bother us much at all because it was very clean.

Yeoksam-Dong is a business area, therefore there aren't much touristic things going on. The hotel is situated a little far from the subway station, right in the middle of two subway stations. However, if you don't mind walking for a few minutes then this wouldn't be a problem. Also, if you are a tourist, it would be recommended to stay around Jong-no area as there are more things going on, however, the use of the public transport is very effective in South Korea, therefore it shouldn't be a problem to stay around Yeoksam area if you don't mind traveling for a bit to get to the touristic spots in Seoul. Also what you get for the price at this hotel is totally worth it!!

Tips - because this is a situated in business district, the hotel tends to get busier during the weekdays. Therefore there are good offers during the weekends. Also there is no house-keeping on Sundays, I don't really know why. Apart from that, it was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank november3038
Budapest
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This hotel is at a convenient location, close to the business center of Seoul. The subway is a short walk away, and there is an airport shuttle stopping at the Renaissance hotel across the road. There are a few restaurants (and an astronomical amount of convenience stores) in the area, so food and drinks are easy to come by.

The room was a decent size, especially considering Asian standards. There was even a hidden kitchenette, and a big fridge. The flooring of the room was tile (asian style, with the shoes left at the door), which I really liked. The only part I didn't like in the room was the shower, it was very difficult to get inside it, because entry was blocked by the toilet.

I was a bit surprised that there was a surcharge for the internet, and that it wasn't especially fast. (Seoul is supposed to be the best connected city on earth with the cheapest and fastest net connections.) It was only a couple of dollars though, so overall it was no big deal.

The biggest issue with the hotel, and the reason I gave 4 stars is that it is a very narrow and tall building with only 2 elevators (plus a hidden service one). At breakfast time I regularly waited over 5 minutes for the elevator, but somehow I didn't feel like climbing the stairs to get 10 floors up to the breakfast room.

The front desk staff spoke perfect English and they were extremely nice. The breakfast was OK, the breakfast room offered a good view of the area (not the prettiest area though). The food selection was very limited and unchanging, and it wasn't particularly tasty.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel, but only if the price is right.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank kerecsen
Vienna
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Rooms with a high standard and certainly above the average for this kind of price. The views from the rooms are not so great, but to be expected for a hotel in the middle of Seoul.
The staff were always polite, responsive and helpful. They responded to my internet problem within a few minutes, even calling in their IT person the next day to solve the problem (which they did).
The location is also great- only a few minutes walk from Gangnam station so you are right in the heart of one of the busiest and liveliest areas of Seoul.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Andy B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2011

To start off with, it's worthwhile mentioning that while locally this apartment hotel is called Artnouveau City or Artnouveau City I some of the online tour operators call it Yeoksam Artnouveau City which can be a little confusing... as there are 3 Artnouveau Apartment hotels altogether within a few kilomeres of each other in southern Seoul. Gangnam Artnouveau City is Artnouveau City II, and Seocho Artnouveau City is Artnouveau City III.

This one is located right opposite the Rennaissance hotel which makes it really easy to get to from the airport. Just take the KAL Limousine Bus 6703 and it stops right across the road! By far the most efficient, easiest and cost effective way to get into the city I reckon. (15,000 Won as opposed to about 90,000 won for a taxi). I had many meetings in the Gangnam area and all were walkable from here, so the location was ideal. The easy to use subway is a few minutes walk away (in either direction!). It's a safe area to walk in, day or night, and there are plenty of places to eat, or grab a coffee.

As for the place itself, the reception staff were supremely polite and helpful. Throughout my stay they were so warm, friendly and professional. I had a suite at the front of the hotel on the 15th floor, and it was warm, cosy and peaceful, despite the place being on a main road. The suite itself was very well equipped and well laid out. A fully equipped kitchen with hob, sink and washing machine was tucked away behind folding doors. There was also a generous sized fridge freezer. A comfortable sitting room with period-style furniture, as you'd expect from the name of the place, was an easy place to work. The only complaint would be the slow ethernet connection for the internet. They charge 3,000 won per hour, but their tracking system isn't that great, so I wasn't charged for all my usage. (Despite being honest and offering...) And 3,000 won isn't much. The bedroom area had plenty of cupboard space and a fabulously comfortable bed. This area could be shut off from the sitting room area by sliding doors. The ceilings were high and there was another space at the top of the stairs leading from the living area on the gallery level. The bathroom, while small, presented no problems at all, although the shower door does open inwards, so perhaps some people may find it a tight squeeze to shut the door. The shower was brilliant. Good high pressure and plenty of hot water.

There were heaps of light switches about the place, and it took forever to work out which related to which, but all in all it was a comfortable, clean and calm place to stay in a great location for getting around the business area of Gangnam and up into other areas of the city. This was my first time in Seoul, and if/when I return, I would be more than happy to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ME13
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Yes, the rooms are a bit strange, designed as they are in 'Art Nouveau' style. Nevertheless, rooms very comfortable and quiet, with small kitchenette if you plan to stay for a while. Close to a metro station, and a short taxi ride from the Nambu bus terminal, if you plan to get out and explore Korea. Would be happy to stay again. Yes, the bathroom is VERY small, but that is not particularly unusual in Asia.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at Artnouevau City last November on a business trip for 7D/7N. When my travel agent told me that I was gonna stay there, I googled and found the hotel's website. I was impressed at the pictures and imagined that my room would be as big as a studio apartment.

Well, I was right. Sort of. My room was an studio apartment look a like. But it turned out, the size was not as big as it's shown in the picture. I didn't complain though because I liked it that way. I didn't really like big room especially when I had the room all for myself for the whole week.

My biggest disappointment was only the toilet. It's very small. I'm 170 cm tall, and I had to step aside before I could open and close the shower room. I couldn't imagine what would happen to those people whose bodies were bigger than me.

One more thing, the staffs, especially the technician and housekeeping, were barely able to speak English. I had to use body language just to make them help me with my air con problems.

But for a long business trip just like I experienced, or maybe a family trip, I think this hotel is good. It has everything you need for daily purposes, like washing machine, stoves and cooking utensils, microwave and magic com.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business