“Quirky hotel, but worth the price”

Yeoksam Artnouveau City I
Ranked #240 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Budapest
“Quirky hotel, but worth the price”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This hotel is at a convenient location, close to the business center of Seoul. The subway is a short walk away, and there is an airport shuttle stopping at the Renaissance hotel across the road. There are a few restaurants (and an astronomical amount of convenience stores) in the area, so food and drinks are easy to come by.

The room was a decent size, especially considering Asian standards. There was even a hidden kitchenette, and a big fridge. The flooring of the room was tile (asian style, with the shoes left at the door), which I really liked. The only part I didn't like in the room was the shower, it was very difficult to get inside it, because entry was blocked by the toilet.

I was a bit surprised that there was a surcharge for the internet, and that it wasn't especially fast. (Seoul is supposed to be the best connected city on earth with the cheapest and fastest net connections.) It was only a couple of dollars though, so overall it was no big deal.

The biggest issue with the hotel, and the reason I gave 4 stars is that it is a very narrow and tall building with only 2 elevators (plus a hidden service one). At breakfast time I regularly waited over 5 minutes for the elevator, but somehow I didn't feel like climbing the stairs to get 10 floors up to the breakfast room.

The front desk staff spoke perfect English and they were extremely nice. The breakfast was OK, the breakfast room offered a good view of the area (not the prettiest area though). The food selection was very limited and unchanging, and it wasn't particularly tasty.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel, but only if the price is right.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank kerecsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vienna
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Rooms with a high standard and certainly above the average for this kind of price. The views from the rooms are not so great, but to be expected for a hotel in the middle of Seoul.
The staff were always polite, responsive and helpful. They responded to my internet problem within a few minutes, even calling in their IT person the next day to solve the problem (which they did).
The location is also great- only a few minutes walk from Gangnam station so you are right in the heart of one of the busiest and liveliest areas of Seoul.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Andy B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2011

To start off with, it's worthwhile mentioning that while locally this apartment hotel is called Artnouveau City or Artnouveau City I some of the online tour operators call it Yeoksam Artnouveau City which can be a little confusing... as there are 3 Artnouveau Apartment hotels altogether within a few kilomeres of each other in southern Seoul. Gangnam Artnouveau City is Artnouveau City II, and Seocho Artnouveau City is Artnouveau City III.

This one is located right opposite the Rennaissance hotel which makes it really easy to get to from the airport. Just take the KAL Limousine Bus 6703 and it stops right across the road! By far the most efficient, easiest and cost effective way to get into the city I reckon. (15,000 Won as opposed to about 90,000 won for a taxi). I had many meetings in the Gangnam area and all were walkable from here, so the location was ideal. The easy to use subway is a few minutes walk away (in either direction!). It's a safe area to walk in, day or night, and there are plenty of places to eat, or grab a coffee.

As for the place itself, the reception staff were supremely polite and helpful. Throughout my stay they were so warm, friendly and professional. I had a suite at the front of the hotel on the 15th floor, and it was warm, cosy and peaceful, despite the place being on a main road. The suite itself was very well equipped and well laid out. A fully equipped kitchen with hob, sink and washing machine was tucked away behind folding doors. There was also a generous sized fridge freezer. A comfortable sitting room with period-style furniture, as you'd expect from the name of the place, was an easy place to work. The only complaint would be the slow ethernet connection for the internet. They charge 3,000 won per hour, but their tracking system isn't that great, so I wasn't charged for all my usage. (Despite being honest and offering...) And 3,000 won isn't much. The bedroom area had plenty of cupboard space and a fabulously comfortable bed. This area could be shut off from the sitting room area by sliding doors. The ceilings were high and there was another space at the top of the stairs leading from the living area on the gallery level. The bathroom, while small, presented no problems at all, although the shower door does open inwards, so perhaps some people may find it a tight squeeze to shut the door. The shower was brilliant. Good high pressure and plenty of hot water.

There were heaps of light switches about the place, and it took forever to work out which related to which, but all in all it was a comfortable, clean and calm place to stay in a great location for getting around the business area of Gangnam and up into other areas of the city. This was my first time in Seoul, and if/when I return, I would be more than happy to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ME13
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Yes, the rooms are a bit strange, designed as they are in 'Art Nouveau' style. Nevertheless, rooms very comfortable and quiet, with small kitchenette if you plan to stay for a while. Close to a metro station, and a short taxi ride from the Nambu bus terminal, if you plan to get out and explore Korea. Would be happy to stay again. Yes, the bathroom is VERY small, but that is not particularly unusual in Asia.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at Artnouevau City last November on a business trip for 7D/7N. When my travel agent told me that I was gonna stay there, I googled and found the hotel's website. I was impressed at the pictures and imagined that my room would be as big as a studio apartment.

Well, I was right. Sort of. My room was an studio apartment look a like. But it turned out, the size was not as big as it's shown in the picture. I didn't complain though because I liked it that way. I didn't really like big room especially when I had the room all for myself for the whole week.

My biggest disappointment was only the toilet. It's very small. I'm 170 cm tall, and I had to step aside before I could open and close the shower room. I couldn't imagine what would happen to those people whose bodies were bigger than me.

One more thing, the staffs, especially the technician and housekeeping, were barely able to speak English. I had to use body language just to make them help me with my air con problems.

But for a long business trip just like I experienced, or maybe a family trip, I think this hotel is good. It has everything you need for daily purposes, like washing machine, stoves and cooking utensils, microwave and magic com.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed here after a relatively poor experience at another hotel in Gangnam. Overall I liked the Victorian themed interiors. It was however more of a residence than a hotel.
The hotel is very clean and is in a good location. The Seollung and Yeoksam stations are equidistant about 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.
So much of the space is wasted on drawers. I could have placed 10 times my luggage items in the space available for storage in the myriad drawers. Since this was a residence, there was a distinct smell of food that was cooked by one of the guests who stayed earlier and this is tru for the entire hotel I guess. The hotel has a great night club right below which is worth a visit.
The breakfast was a bit of a disapointment I must say but overall more positive than negative.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelenthu123
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel has both simplicity, casualness, and a comfortable place to relax with our friends and watch a movie.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends