“Recommended budget hotel, 3min walks to subway and 15min travel to major shopping attractions”

Benikea Kaya Tourist Hotel
Ranked #206 of 475 Hotels in Seoul
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed for 5D4N with my boyfriend and I.
Room,
- A bit small but ok for 2
- toilet was clean with a bathtub
- toiletries are provided except tooth brush
- heAter on the floor is good to keep us warm
Location
-3 min walk from Namyeong subway
- Namyeong is 1stop away to Seoul Station where u can change and head to myeongdong, dongdaemun, Hongik uni, Ewka women uni.
- major attractions are less than 30min away
- there a fried garlic chicken restaurant located near the station, exit Namyeong turn right and walk 100m you will see the restaurant, the chicken is yummy !
- nearby walking distance there's a lot eateries

Conclusion, nice hotel if your budget is Usd 60 plus minus.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank weitingthong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I picked this hotel for the special traditional Korean style Ondol room. I wondered how the heating floor works and feels. I agree with some friends of mine that such kind of room is actually too hot unless the windows are open. I kept the windows slightly open all the time, making the temperature just perfect. There was no bed but bedding on floor, like the Japanese futon. It's very comfy, not hard as I thought. After a whole day long walk, I like to put my legs between the floor and the bedding to relax and relieve the tension. For the 2 night stay, I could sleep very well through the night without break. There's no table in the room and I always had to move around near ground zero level, quite inconvenient and tired, but it's a special experience somehow.

Though the hotel and room are rather dated, that doesn't matter. It's clean, functional. I particularly like the vicinity which is quiet, safe, convenient, not touristy (I am afraid of staying in Dongdaemun or Myeong-dong which are too touristy and noisy).

About the staff, I think there's much room for improvement. At the front desk, the young man is nicer but speaks poor English. Communication is a problem. The older man speaks better English but is indifferent, poker face. He refused to connect a line for me to cancel my original booking at another hotel in Dongdaemun (I learnt that it's free of charge if calling intra Seoul for a few minutes). He asked me to use the charged telephone kiosk at the hotel entrance instead. He added that it should be me who do the cancellation as the booking was made by me, not him. Finally after he had seen me quite stupid in locating the tel kiosk and counting the coins, he was willing to use the hotel phone to call and pass it to me to talk for the cancellation (haha, I should more and better use my stupidity in the future).

But overall, as the price is too good (W53,000@), location good, great value for money, I still highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank MissHK2009
new york
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The airport bus stop about 5 blocks from the hotel on the same road. The two metro is four blocks from hotel. Next to USO office where you can sign up for the bus tour. Lot of cafes and cheap food $6-$10 meal. Very busy at night with the college kids hanging around but the area feel safe.The hotel is OK , no complain ,clean towel and room . It does look kind of old but clean. No Wifi but CAT-5 work.Staff speak english.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewYorkPhilip
Malaysia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We booked this hotel during our first night in Seoul. from the Airport, we took the airport bus which stops us at a stop which is about 5-10 mins walk to the hotel. Hotel is easily spotted as it is located in front of the main road. Hotel surrounding location are packed with restaurants, shopping malls etc. Overall, the location couldn't be better. Subway stations are about 3-5 mins walk from the hotel.

Hotel wise: very clean, well maintained. Our rooms looked OK, clean. Bathroom are also ok and clean. Overall, we dont have any complains.

As the hotel is located centrally in seoul, it is definitely worth to put a night or two in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel more than 3 times during my visit to Seoul. I thought the location was almost perfect from were I wanted to go. It's not the newest hotel in town but, it's clean,quiet and the staff were so helpful, that to me is valuable when traveling! I appreciate all the times I didn't have reservations and I was still able to stay thanks!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Pohang, South Korea
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Thereare 5 points worthy mentioning
First, non-smokers highly recommended to avoid this hotel. When stuff provided us the room 205, we found out that it was a bit smelly and it was not cleaned after previous guest (beds are not changed, somebody's socks were lying on the floor, remains of cigarettes in ashtray etc.). Stuff made excuses and shown us another room 206. It was so smelly that it was impossible to imagine how to sleep there unless you'll get heavily drunk. Stuff claimed absence of shampoo to remove smell. So we waited for cleaning of 205.
Second, internet connection. Wi-Fi signal is very low, speed is very slow and disconnection happens regularly (but in the evening it's almost impossible to connect).
Third, absence of laundry. If you need to wash your clothes, you have to contact the reception and for $50(!!!) they will do it in other hotel for 2 days. If you need to make it hurry you have to pay more (!!!).
Fourth, there is no breakfast included. Restaurant in hotel is unreasonably expensive. You have to pay $9 while in few steps outside you can get much more and better Korean food for $3,5-5.
Fifth, atmosphere overall is depressive. Hotel is very dark, main entrance is dark and flags on it are dirty.
However, as it was said before, stuff is nice and location of this hotel is comfortable.
But negative is very strong.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yosinava

Travelers are raving about these Seoul hotels

Seoul
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was looking for a cheap and central stay in Seoul. Since you often get what you pay for, I did not expect much in the price range around 40 Euros- but even that is too much for the Kaya...
First, on the positive site- the staff is friendly and the location is perfect (three different Subway Lines in walking distance!). That is it. Now the negatives. Even though the cleaning staff tries very hard they have no chance to get the rooms clean. Everything, from the bed to the bathroom smells after cigarette smoke. The air condition is throwing little ice crystals on the bed, the refrigerator is like the TV is approximately 20 years old and loud (have to unplug it during night), the corridors and rooms are very dark, the wireless internet has a very bad reception (almost not working). The room size is average, at most. To all the Hotels I went in my live I found only a few which were providing insect repellent and this was the first one I had to actually use it in the bathroom. The "Escape Rope" looks very scary, especially considering that the windows seems way too small to slip through them in case of a fire.

All in the entire Hotel needs a complete renovation from ground up. The staff deserves to work in a much nicer place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends