“Could Do Better”

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Could Do Better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed in the Residence block for 5 nights. Here's what I have to say:
Pros:
1. Great location - Close to bus stop, subway stations, shops & attractions (Changdeokgung)
2. Helpful staff
3. Relatively private
4. Numeric combination lock on room doors - No need for keys

Cons:
1. Hard to find based on map on website
2. Hygiene - Room wasn't well cleaned. Upon check-in, there was a drenched toilet roll on the floor, and a sweet wrapper in the bathroom.
3. WiFi doesn't work for mobile devices in Residence. Even in the main guesthouse, the WiFi signal was very weak.
4. Mattress given was way too thin to sleep on the floor. I've slept in other Korean residences, and I've never had a backache from sleeping on the floor.
5. Pets, in this instance cats, shouldn't be allowed to drink straight from the kitchen tap. I'm fine with pets on the compound, but there should be certain limits.

Considering the weightage of the cons against the pros, I give this place 2 stars out of 5.

Room Tip: Take the rooms with proper beds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

-----------
*Note* I'm reviewing Beewon Residence here, which is supposedly newly renovated, "better" wing of Beewon Guesthouse. Beewon Guesthouse is the dormitory style wing, while Beewon Residence the more motel room type.
----------

Me and my fren are not very fussy travellers. We are ok if space is a bit small, as is the case in cities like Taipei, so long as it is clean, with facilities in good working condition, and with a reasonable price. But it was not the case with Beewon Residence.

Staying at Beewon Residence was a mistake. My fren and I only looked at Agoda rating and not at Tripadvisor. Else would not have chosen it.

What we paid:
- 80,000 won per night, for 4 nights

Faults:
- Small room, unclean, with strands of hair on the floor near the TV area (by the way, the design is such that you sit on the space in front of the TV, with 2 beds flanking left and right), dusty room, dried blood or dry foundation-looking stains on pillows.
- Poor Internet connection & non-working phone that does not allow you to call out to book day trips with local agencies (think DMZ tour). [Any other average-priced hotels or motels would have all these facilities with no problems at all. We're talking about Korea here. Even in the countryside like Gyeongju I had a common-use computer with good internet speed. So Beewon was a let-down)
- The twin room was on the 3rd storey. Steep stairs typical of small apartment residences. NO LIFT. Good luck lugging your luggage up 3 flights of stairs, and down after all that shopping in Seoul)
- No daily housekeeping
- No change of towels - you have to remember to collect fresh towels everyday before you set off from the Beewon Guesthouse wing 1 block around the corner. Else good luck. Re-use your towels when you come back after a long day.
- LEAKING pipe for the tap at the sink (the mini stove area). Imagine our shock when we came back on the 1st night, turn on the air-con, and then sometime later there's this loud whirring sound from the aircon, followed by a flush of water from under the kitchen sink. Open the cabinet, see the water gushing out. And it happens EVERY HOUR.

Plus points:
- Near Gyeongbukgung palace
- Near Insadong (though no clear directions)
- Near eating places
- Has a washing machine
- Has basic breakfast - Tea/ instant cereal, jam and bread.

My comments:

After the 1st night (see point on leaking pipe under "Faults"), we wanted a refund the next morning (We paid for 4 nights upfront). The leaking pipe, on top of dried brown stains on pillows and strands of hair really put us off. And the poor intermittent Internet connection. Argghh! We were really disappointed. So not worth 80,000won a night.

On the 2nd morning, we went to NOBLE hotel just round the corner (when walking to the main street to Gyeongbokgung) to check the place out. The receptionist allowed us to take a look at one of the twin rooms on the 3rd floor, which was vacant and available.

It was decent-sized, tastefully decorated with nice dark wood, high beds like most hotel beds, nice bed covers, and as a hotel, it comes with daily housekeeping and towel change. The only thing is, it doesn't have a washing machine but that's still ok. The price? 80,000 won!!! For a 3 star hotel vs. a rip-off like Beewon with bad housekeeping and poor facilties, I'll take NOBLE hotel anytime.

So we went straight to the recep, asked for refund. The guy, who's the Manager, asked "What's wrong? Tell us, we can correct it." So we told him abt the hourly-leaking pipe, the hourly loud whirring sound emiited by the air-con, the stained pillows, the lousy phone connection.

He promised to have them mended by the time we come back. Late as we are on our schedule, we gave it to him. When we came back at night, we tested everything. Phone still bad. Turn air-con on, pipe still gushes every hour. Only thing is, the flow is more contained, coz as a short-term measure, they tightly wrapped a tape around the joining parts of the pipe, and placed a bowl below to collect the water.

As our itinerary for the next 2 days were packed, we couldn't spare the time to shift hotels. Put up with it. And with the lugging of luggage and carry-on luggage down 3 flights of stairs when checking out. Can die.

Just go for NOBLE hotel at the same address, just round the corner. Unless you need the washing machine desperately. (well, we washed our some clothes and a pair of jeans. Bring along a washing bag/net yourself.)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kieryl

Travelers are raving about these Seoul hotels

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My 2 friends and I stayed at this guesthouse last February. I must say that the staff who attended to us was very friendly and accommodating. Though we were having a hard time exchanging ideas (mainly because of the language barrier), we still came through. Our room was in a different building but I guess it was newer and nicer. Though the place was pretty much a challenge to look for at first especially when it's winter (you are just dying to go inside a closed area to escape the cold weather outside) since the hotel is located in a not so busy area.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay in Korea and would recommend this hotel to budget travelers who are just looking for an average place to stay. Not recommended however for long stays since it's not located in the center of the city.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ayeen S
Tortosa, Catalonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed in Beewon guesthouse for 3 nights in early september 2012. Coming from China, finding this hostel, so cheap and clean in such an expensive city to stay like Seoul, was a real respite for our tight budget. The hostel is located close to the historical palaces of Seoul and Insandeong shopping street. We were given a twin room ensuite with washing machine and fridge. Some of the staff there was really helpful and nice and spoke good English, at least similar to our level, and it was nice to see also a family of two cats walking and playing around. A nice place to stay for foreigners in a budget in Seoul who love cats. If I never go back to Seoul I would go back there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Silentwriter
Penang
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stay in Beewon for 3 nights (May 2011). It is located near to Jongno 3(sam)ga subway station, approximately 5 minutes walking (with no luggage). If you walk to this place, please take note that it is located at back lane, so it maybe a bit hard to find, but if you come from Jongno 3(sam)ga station, just walk until u can see the roof (??) of Changdeok palace, that's mean are already near to this place.
The room is OK in size (not too small) and clean. Bathroom is clean, shampoo & body wash provided. I stay with 2 friend in triple room, but they just provided 1 double bed, plus 2 pieces of thin (i really mean thin) mattress, 1 will be the mattress, and the other one will be my blanket. When we asked the staff about that triple room, his answer that, the meaning of their triple room is, the room can fit 3 people, but the don't provide bed for 3 person. I am ok with that, and sleeping on the floor with a very thin mattress is not a big issue for me.
The guesthouse open for 24 hours (no curfew) , so you can come in/out whenever we want.
The pantry is cozy enough, with basic breakfast provided (coffee, bread, etc). The common place 2 computers with internet access, but since so many people using it, I decide not to wait in line. They also provide washing machine for guest to use. Lastly, they also allow guest to leave their luggage after check-in at no charge, just in-case you need to do so.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank shud_mdnoor
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I had a confirmed reservation and arrived well before the check-in deadline, but was told that they had overbooked and was turned away! According to the desk clerk, the manager routinely does this during busy times.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Chuck S
Edenton, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed four nights in a single room and the room was good for all you would expect in a basic 2-3 star motet type lodgeing. It gave me a twin bed in a room with a cable television, wireless internet and clean bed , small compact refridgerator. The bathroom had a spray shower head on the wall but everything worked, the air conditioner was great...so for the price and the location near the subway system (5 minute walk) this is exactly what I wanted. My only little complaint was that if you wanted their basic breakfast it ran from 830 to 1200 and I was up and gone by 0830 most days. The one day that I attempt to get coffee the fruit and juice was all consumed by the MANY families that stay with many children, so the self serve kitchen was way too busy for me to eat ...so I would suggest not to plan on breakfast.

Room Tip: single room has twin beds so plan for this if you are a couple.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo