“Nice museum”

$84.03*
Private Tbilisi City Tour and Dinner with Folk Show
Ranked #12 of 191 things to do in Tbilisi
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Entrance was 5 Gel, and there was a great permanent display of the jewellery tradition of the area, and I even found the Soviet display fascinating... it show what an impact the Russians had on the region and its people.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

When we arrived in Tbilisi, we have been already travelling for a few months throughout the Black Sea region, and have learned quite a bit about the ancient history. I've learned over some time that if I have time, I should definitely get guided tours, especially when in the museum dealing with history. Guided tour was 25GEL, but it was well worth it. In approximately one hour, the wonderful exhibit of the archaeological finds throughout Georgia told an amazing story of this country and people. I will say, however, if I did not get the tour, I would have just appreciated all of the gold and silver jewelry and other items on the exhibit, and considering that there were no explanations to what those finds were, it would seem very confusing as to what everything is. Overall, the tour took about an hour, plus there was an armory exhibit, 2nd floor is reserved for temporary exhibits (there were none at that time), and the top floor is and exhibit of Soviet occupation. The exhibit was tastefully completed, yet for some reason did not say much about the role Stalin played in it. The museum shops are very nice and have very nice and reasonably priced books about the museum and exhibits.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Is this museum a joke? If this is what they have to represent the country, I suppose Georgia has no history.

When we entered, my spouse and I noticed that there was not anyone near the ticket selling desk. After debating who might be the person we needed to speak with, we asked someone nearby if we could buy tickets. She ended up having to go fetch the person to sell them to us, a process which took around 10-15 minutes. After snarling her way behind the counter, she didn't give us any advice - didn't tell us where to go or anything. She just asked for the lari, then tossed us the tickets without even a glance up.

The museum consists of several sparse and haphazardly thrown together collections; the best of which does not even highlight Georgian artifacts - just Persian ones. ;)

5  Thank Chris D
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A collection of beautiful, mainly gold, jewelry and artefacts (3 BC to 3 AD) found in burial sites in Georgia. Also some interesting rooms entitled "The museum of the occupation" [of Georgia by Russia]. A cafe and couple of shops selling books, postcards etc. Not a huge amount to see so it can be done in an hour or so.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The part about Sovjet occupation was very good and nicely done. Other displays in the museum seem very random. A bit chinese and persian culture, some gold jewelry they found in georgia. It was ok, but to me less interesting. The museum is quite small and can be done in one hour...