“The hostel that loves you back”

Envoy Hostel and Tours
Ranked #2 of 431 Specialty Lodging in Tbilisi
New York City, New York
“The hostel that loves you back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

I just got back from a 9 day trip in Georgia that's absolutely left me glowing. It's easier to ask why *not* stay at Envoy Tbilisi than list all the reasons you should. The breakfast leaves something to be desired for variety and nutrition, but it's still filling.

Otherwise, the location is perfect. As is the staff who are all friendly, accommodating, and fun to talk to. I had a new, specific request every day and they were willing to help me out each and every time. Thanks to those guys, I don't think there's one thing I missed out on that I was still physically capable of doing. I ended up taking their day tour to Armenia on a whim, which was one of the highlights of my trip. One thing definitely worth pointing out about the tours is the lunch- yes, the food is good, but Envoy makes a point to hire locals to prepare it, which means that much more money goes directly back to the people whose country you're visiting.

The prices are very fair for what you get and the rooms are decorated sparsely but nicely and the beds are comfortable. Most of the major attractions in Tbilisi are walkable from the hostel and the pomegranate and fig trees in the entranceway are a nice touch.

Go to Georgia. Stay at Envoy. It will be worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
EverFB, General Manager at Envoy Hostel and Tours, responded to this review, September 14, 2014
We are delighted that you have taken with you wonderful memories of our region. Indeed it is a core value for Envoy to give back to the community and we feel blessed to be in position to make a contribution to others.

We thank you for your wonderful feedback and have noted your suggestion for improvement. We sure do love our guests and the work we do. We hope to see you again one day, perhaps at one of our other Envoy's.

Happy Travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

I didn't try the hostel itself but found it while walking in the city and decided to try one of their tours. The public tours are really affordable but if you don't get the minimum number (4 for most of them) they can provide you a private tour for some more money.
I choose the private tour and didn't regret. Amazing food provided in the price, kind driver and professional guide with good level of English. The places visited are a must and I only regret I could not do all of them as I missed some other parts.
Absolutely recommended.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank alghero81
Fujairah, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We wanted to join their armenia tour initially but ended up joining the embracing georgia tour which is great. The best road trip i had in my life! IA our tour guide was particularly sweet and helpful all throughout. We stayed in 3 nights and was so happy we did. Rooms are clean and we stayed both in double and 6 bed dorm room. On our second day they prepared little cupcakes with candles and sang for my friend whos celebrating her birthday that day. Sweet sweet little surpriseThank you envoy for the wonderful stay. Sheila and lindy

• Stayed July 2014
Kirkwood, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Envoy Tbilisi was my base camp for my ten-day stint in Georgia, and I couldn't have asked for a better host. Having just come from a 21-bed "dungeon" hostel in Istanbul, seeing Envoy's impeccably clean and well-designed space was quite a relief. Beds were comfortable, and bathrooms clean. Shower early in the morning or at night to make sure you get some warm water.

The staff was friendly, helpful and knowledgable of the area, and are also the same people who are the tour guides. The tours are a bit more expensive than public transportation to the various sites, but you pay for the convenience, knowledge, stops along the way you would otherwise miss, and delicious food -- so it's worth it if you're looking for that (I was). Breakfast was simple but filling each day, and the view from the terrace is wonderful. Especially when having some of the in-house beer after a long day.

The hill is a climb, but we could all probably use more exercise. Location is in the center of old town close to a delicious Georgian restaurant and just a few minutes from the fortress overlooking the city.

I could keep going -- Envoy is great! Worth your money to stay here while in Tbilisi.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Crete, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

We took the tour to get from Tbilisi to Yerevan and we stayed at the Yerevan hostel. The hostel was at very convenient location and clean, although I think that the bathroom and toilets should be cleaned a little more often so they are O.K. at the morning. Common area is great to rest and is equipped with computers and wifi free to use. Breakfast, which is included in the price, is basic, but we didn't need more than that.

The big advantage is the staff. They seem to enjoy what they do, they are very kind, helpful, ready to serve and full of energy.
I felt so comfortable with them that I took more tours around Armenia. The tours are well organised, they stop at local peoples' houses for lunch and this is a great opportunity to meet the real spirit of Armenia.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Envoy tours operates out of the Envoy hostels in Tbilisi and Yerevan and offers discounted prices for residents of the hostels.

I travelled in the Caucasus with three friends in June 2014. When going from Tbilisi to Yerevan, we decided to go on a one-way guided tour with Envoy Tours (26000 Armenian Dram pr person) They didn't run a tour at the day we wanted to go, but since we were four they set up a private tour for us on the day we wanted. The tour guide, Marine (who also runs the Envoy tours Office in Tbilisi) was excellent and knowledgeable, and spoke perfect English, and we enjoyed the tour a lot. It was very good to make something more out of the transportation between the two cities than just a drive, and also visit some great monasteries and have a local lunch on the way. We were so happy with the tour that we booked tours from Envoy both in Armenia and when we later returned to Georgia.

In Armenia, we did the 'Essential Armenia' tour (17500 Armenian Dram pr person) which included the Sevanavank monastery, the Noratus cementerry, the Hayravank monastery, the Garni temple - and the highlight: Geghard monastery. Our guide, Greg, was very good.

Back in Georgia, we wanted to see Kazbegi, and did the 'Embracing Georgia' tour (125 Georgian Lari pr person). We drove the Military highway up there, stopping at the Ananuri castle on the way, and also having lunch at a a guesthouse before climbing up to the gorgeous Gergeti Sameba monastery on the top of the hill. Irakli, our guide, was also excellent and we enjoyed the tour greatly.

Going further towards Azerbaijan, we wanted to drive to the land border and make some stops at wineries on the way for some wine-tasting. Marine went out of her way to put together a tour for us. Unfortunately, we ended up being delayed in our plans and couldn't do the trip due to some visa problems for one of my friends who needed to have his passport sent to him from the embassy. However Marine volunteered to help us connect with the local DHL-office, which ended up opening after hours for us to pick up the passport. Without Marine's help our visa problems would have been far greater.

I can recommend Envoy tours to anyone traveling in Georgia and Armenia.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Trotter79
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

This comment comes from a 75-country explorer and 20-year professional in tourism..... Envoy Hostel Tbilisi is one of the best hostels I have EVER stayed in. It is impecably clean, comfortable rooms, free breakfast, free city tours, strong wifi, ideal location to all sights/restaurants/pubs, a fortress literally at it's doorstep, amazing views of all Tbilisi from rooftop terrace, and super-friendly and helpful staff. It costs a few dollars more than many other hostels in Tbilisi, but so worth it. It is not a loud, party-hostel. Laundry facilities available. They also offer an assortment of high-quality, and very popular full day tours all throughout Georgia and Armenia too.

Room Tip: Many different room configurations to choose from. Privates, 4-bed, 6-bed, 8-bed.