“Absolutely Perfect”

Ranked #12 of 523 Specialty Lodging in Tbilisi
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Perfect”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

It's actually ten months since I stayed at this hotel but I was recently reminiscing about the best places I have stayed and I have such fond memories of SKAdaVELI that I thought I should write a review. The only bad thing about this place is that I'm horribly envious of the owner who has such a great sense of style that I can't hope to replicate it.

We stayed here for three nights at the end of a two month trip to Turkey, and we fell in love with Tbilisi which surprised us with its quirky prettiness. Despite seeing warnings in TripAdvisor about the dilapidated exterior of the building, I was still pretty shocked when the taxi drew up. However as soon we got inside I just loved it. We had a huge double room with a very comfortable bed, which was set onto a long, wide balcony overlooking a kind of courtyard area. It just had so much character. We couldn't get the ensuite room as it was already booked but the bathroom just at the end of the balcony was modern and absolutely spotless, with plenty of hot water.

The most enjoyable aspect of staying here is the relaxed atmosphere. The owner is so friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. This kindness extended to him lending us a book about the local architecture; offering us espressos and wine (just because he happened to be drinking some and asked us to join him); and (mortifyingly) hanging out my fiance's holey boxer shorts on the washing line after the machine finished when we were out. (The machine is located in the kitchen and there is an honesty box where you put your nominal fee). All this seemed rather above and beyond what's required of a good hotel owner.

The location of SKAdaVELI is great, right amongst beautiful cobbled old streets and close to good places to eat. The area is a bit rough around the edges (i.e. safe but just a bit dishevelled), but that genuinely just adds to the charm. (Really. And I'm normally sceptical of statements like that).

We had a great time and would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sportchster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Skadaveli is incredibly cheap for a private room, the actual "hotels" in the area start at nearly twice as much and only go up from there. The outside of the building looks like its about to fall over but that's usual for Tbilisi. The rooms though are incredibly clean and cozy, as is the bathroom (just down the hall about 15 feet). Irakli, the owner, is incredibly friendly and helpful and speaks English fluently. The location is great too, its just a block over from St. George's Square, which is where the main street in Tbilisi (Rustaveli, if I remember correctly) is. Some friends of ours were staying in an actual hostel near us but had problems with noise. Skadaveli was incredibly quiet, we had no problems resting or sleeping. Also, we were there in December when it was pretty cold but the room was very warm.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Some G
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 15, 2011

After having seen and stayed in many places all over eastern europe I feel obliged to leave a comment on this one, since Skadaveli offered one of the best experiences I have come across so far.
The rooms are quiet, lovely and tastefully furnished and I immediatly knew, I dont need to look any further. The backyard terrace invites to just hang around and enjoy the outstanding morning turkish cafe before heading out to the old town that is just a step away.
Irakli, the host, proved to be a very helpful host with a plentitude of tips and a substantial knowlege about anything you might be interested in, be it architecture, food, art or music.
So even if you come totally unprepared, he will happily help you to make the most of your stay.
Yes, its somewhat difficult to find :), but its worth asking for it. Thx, for this very pleasent experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Gordon F
Lodz
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I made an inquiry to stay here after reading the fabulous reviews. It is the first time I have been let down by TripAdvisor. We started to plan our journey early in July. I contacted Irakli by e-mail and got room pricing etc. and sought advice on local tours, which others had said he was good with. We decided on which room we wanted and communicated the dates of our visit. He then stated that the room we wanted was now booked for one of the nights we wanted, as we had not confirmed the booking. I immediately wrote back to book the room for the available nights and we would take a smaller single room on the other night (as he suggested). Then I heard nothing for a few weeks. I was not concerned initially as I believed we had our room reserved. I then began to worry after 2 weeks of no reply. After over 3 weeks I resorted to using the website to contact again as e-mails were not working. I immediately got a response to say he could not confirm my booking as he never accepted it and he was now fully booked. Four e-mails and 3 weeks later he tells me this, knowing from my mails all along that I believed the room to be booked. The man lacks even basic courtesy so I can only imagine the kind of host he is.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank abc246
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Hard to imagine better place to stay in Tbilisi!!!! Excellent location, great cosy, clean, well furnished rooms. Friendly staff in the person of Irakli, who makes your staying in Tbilisi unforgettable, he is always ready to help in choosing the route, place to see, to advise the best way to reach it. He is super attentive to the guests, so be ready to feel like most important guests in the world =)
It was very hard to say goodbye to this place!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank klyukoffka
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 1, 2011

One would never guess that a bit run down facade of an old villa covers such wonders. The rooms are mint fresh, impeccably clean and tastefully decorated. Location is also great (and safe) — in one of side streets in Old Tbilisi, near a local restaurant with food you will dream of after coming back home. The owner Irakli is an invaluable asset to the place with his knowledge, funny stories and kindness. The kitchen is equipped with fridge, coffee maker and free supply of tea/coffee/sugar. I would highly recommend it to everyone. If advised, go on a trip to Kachetia, it's wonderful and great value!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katarzynna
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We found Skadaveli from the earlier reviews and from the place's own website and completely agree with all the previous positive comments. The house is full of character and is in a beautiful part of the old town, just minutes from Freedom Square and lots of the sites. We stayed in the "basic 3 bed private" room which is amazing value at 30 Euros per night. It's really spacious and has balconies on both sides so it's incredibly light. There's a shared bathroom close-by which was always spotlessly clean. The manager speaks good English and was super-helpful and hospitable. He even hung out our washing for us (there's a washing machine in the shared kitchen and they charge just 5 lari per load). I absolutely loved Tbilisi and this was a fantastic place to stay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple