“Loved it at Hotel Gutsa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Gutsa

Hotel Gutsa
Ranked #50 of 362 Tbilisi B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Loved it at Hotel Gutsa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We came across Hotel Gutsa by chance... was walking by and saw the "hotel" sign. So we decided to check out the place. We were not happy at where we were staying so went back the next day to pre-booked the rest of our stay in Tbilisi at Hotel Gutsa.

We really enjoyed staying at Hotel Gutsa because of its quaint atmosphere and 1/2 block from Rustavelli station. Alla's work of art is all over the place! Each room is decorated differently with her painting and its own private bathroom. Breakfast was very simple (boiled eggs, smetlana, jam, processed cheese, bread, tea/coffee.) Alla is very nice - each time we come home, she greeted us with a smile and "chai?". Her English was not very good but between her English and my not-so-good French plus sign language, we were able to communicate. She was also able to arrange a taxi for us at 3am for 25 lari.

Her son and his family (who now live in France) were there so that helped a bit. Daughter-in-law Nina spoke English.

Another tourist who spoke English and Georgian/Russian was able to translate for me. That Alla bought the hotel in 1994. It was an apartment hotel during the Soviet times, built 150 years ago by an Azerbaijani oil mogul. He fell in love with his friend's daughter. Unfortunately, she passed away and he died a few years later. I believe there's a street named after her behind the hotel but I'm not too sure on this.

I recommend this place to you.... because I will definitely stay here again!

Alla and family: if you are reading this, THANK YOU / MADLOBA for your kindness. I hope to see you in Tbilisi again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Beezer333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Metz, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have trusted the reviews from this site and did not regret it. The communication was easy in that family owned guesthouse. As far as I know, the owner, a former teacher, can cope with Georgian, Russian (in writing, with a native speaker level), French and German (orally). She has relatives living abroad if extra help is needed. Her many contacts in the city are an asset as she made arrangements for my stay: I basically had the neighbor at my service as a personal driver. You can not expect much more than that when you have little time to visit the city! Guesthouse looks like a regular, typically georgian family house with a lot of paintings. Definitely recommendable .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Champagneau
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stuck to the good recommenadations here which was a big mistake. I didn't stay here because we couldn't come to an agreement. I contacted this unprofessional place by email in English and got an answer after a few days. Then, it turned out that somebody helped the owner lady with English but obviously not in the correct way. After a few mails which I got answers to questions I didn't ask und No answers to my questions, I got the feeling, a child plays games with me. Then hier daughter sent me a mail and I explained the situation but I never got an answer. This is not the way to deel with customers, i.e. paying guests!!!!

All I can say-stay away from this place. Unprofessional!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Europa53
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

First off this is a quaint little place, with paintings everywhere.It's a guesthouse not a hotel it's not the Crown Plaza or Four Points Sheraton.The elderly lady that runs the guesthouse was quite pleasant to me despit the fact that she speaks only Russian & Georgian.The rooms were sufficent to the cause.Maid service upon request or at least clean towels/linen will be given to you without hesitiation.The breakfast was bread, processed cheese,Hard boiled Eggs,tea or coffee.The lady of the house will let you use the internet at her computer upon request.She accepts Euro,Rubles or Lari as payment in cash only.A very artsy place, yet an old place with charm.Located on Kostava Street it can be hard to spot just down the way from the Kostava Cinema .You'll see vendors right down the street selling Georgian Crafts in which you can negotiate the price.Lot's of stores ,restaurants are all over this area (Vere District) of Tbilisi.The Gutsa is located approx.2KM or 1 1/4 miles from Old Tbilisi. A cab from Kostava to Old town shouldn't cost more then 4 to 5 Lari. Be careful of Cabbies in Tbilsi overcharging in this area as well.Recommend the Gutsa for an experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kraor
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

I am georgian and I have chosen this hotel for my friends who were coming to Tbilishi this summer. The hotel location is great, you are in the center of the city. The prices are affordable and the rooms are clean. What was very shocking for me and what will make that I will never never go back to this hotel, it is the owner's attitude. She met us in a very aggresive way, as if she was afraid we will steal/break something> very difficult to communicate with her (even if I speak both georgian and russian). Of course we paid in advance, as soon as we entered the hotel, she took everybody's passport and wrote down every single name, date of birth etc. It was long and frustrating.

A very bad example of Georgian hospitality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Tamtam255
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

This place is terrible, I really don´t understand the rave reviews. First of all the "pleasant" lady is not all that pleasant. They insist on being paid from the get go. Also the "breakfeast" is laid out on the table before she goes to sleep so you´re greeted in the morning with stale bread and soggy tomato. Needless to say we didn´t eat the breakfeast and also we did not stay there for the duration of our vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Valerian1234
Ganja, Azerbaijan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the quaint Hotel Gutsa on a weekend getaway to Tbilisi for my birthday (we currently live and work in nearby Azerbaijan). The central location couldn't be better -- just up the street from the Rustaveli metro station, within easy walking distance from the cute cafes and restaurants in Vere in one direction and the hustle and bustle of Freedom Square in the other. Tbilisi's Old Town is a pleasant 15-20 minute walk or 5 minute cab away, and the nearby metro provides easy access to the main train/bus station.

Duck through a doorway marked "Hotel" off a pedestrian arcade (next to the deliciously tempting fried doughnut stand), march up one flight of stairs, and ring the bell of the virtually unmarked guesthouse (someone has helpfully etched a tiny "GUTSA" into the wall above the doorbell). We were ushered inside by the proprietess -- a friendly, elderly Georgian woman who speaks Georgian, Russian, and a bit of French -- and escorted into the large, comfortable sitting room, where breakfast is served just about any time you like, and hot water for tea is available for guests at any time of day or night. The airy, spacious room is decorated from floor to ceiling with magnificent oil paintings by none-other than the hotel owner herself (who describes painting as her "hobby") and her grandfather (or grandmother -- I wasn't clear which), who seems to have been a professional artist.

The rooms are large and comfortable, though sometimes with odd bed arrangements (our "double" room, for instance, had one single bed, one double bed, and a divan that could sleep one). Each room has its own unique style, with antique furniture, hand-painted cabinetry, and atmospheric art on the walls. Some rooms face out onto busy Kostava St., which could conceivably be a bit noisy; our room faced the back of the building and looked out onto a quiet, picturesque courtyard and garden. The room and bedding were very clean, and the bathroom was spotless and spacious, with a good, Western-style toilet, hot water 24/7, and excellent water pressure in the shower. At 40 euros a night, the Gutsa is excellent value for Tbilisi. Breakfast is included, though we never tried it, as there are too many amazing restaurants to sample in the city. Wifi is available in the rooms, and there is a computer guests can use in the sitting room as well.

One caveat: The hotel owner does not speak English. We managed to make a reservation over the phone in broken French, and everything worked out just fine. However, when we attempted to stay at the Hotel Gutsa a second time later that month, with a few friends, our reservation was summarily canceled due to the language barrier (she had apparently misunderstood our request and gave our room away before we arrived). Knowledge of Russian or Georgian would be a big help. Luckily, though, the owner has just launched a hotel website that apparently allows guests to make reservations online, so this shouldn't be a problem in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple