“Decent food, nice atmosphere, long service times”
Review of Le Planteur

Le Planteur
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: WE HAVE MOVED TO 80 UNIVERSITY AVENUE. Le Planteur opens a new restaurant on Inya Lake, at 80 University Road. Le Planteur (Inya Lake) upgraded even more to the next standard of finesse in quality, standard and ambience!! And so, Le Planteur (Inya Lake) remains faithful to its concept, in a stunningly attractive venue!! It is an exciting and wonderful evolution and change for Le Planteur - but the things you and I love about Le Planteur have not changed. A new Chef arrived at Le Planteur! The team is proud to welcome Chef Gil Dumoulin who will be in charge of the fine dining restaurant.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I arrived as the restaurant was opening and was surprised that my first course took close to 30 minutes to arrive as the restaurant was mostly empty at that point. My first course was a garden salad, and similar to what another reviewer said, it had rather wilted lettuce and thin slices of vegetables. Each course took roughly 20 minutes to come after the previous course. For my dessert, while I ordered it when I ordered the main course, it also took a long time to come. By that point, both my water glass and wine glass had been empty for a while. The wait staff did not come to my table once between the time they took away my dinner plate and the 20-30 minutes before my dessert arrived. I had to go find them to ask them when the dessert was coming. At the end, I was told that the long wait times were from how busy the restaurant was that night. I then had to find someone to ask for my check and was told that it would be 5 minutes before they could give that to me. I would only return for an occasion where I wanted to have a 3 hour expensive dinner!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Le Planteur is a restaurant that one can choose for romantic adventures. It offers the best of Yangon: great food, perfect service, natural authenticity, and premium extras. We were picked up from our hotel and driven to the restaurant in the antique car of 1950s! We indulged into an amazing food under the star lit sky and want to repeat this experience again and again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our small tour group was seated on the first floor. Another larger group was nearby.

The ambience was great – a nicely set table with good stemware – 3 glasses per setting for water, red and white wine. The chandelier added a touch of France.

We were given a written set menu – tuna carpaccio, followed by lobster tail, then fish or pork, and a dessert.

It seemed that our tour guide had neglected to advise the restaurant that two people wanted vegetarian and another was allergic to seafood!

After a lengthy conversation, the 3 non-seafood eaters were offered a green salad as a starter, and a choice of asparagus or pumpkin soup in lieu of the lobster. The suggestion for a main course was a risotto of mushroom and truffle.

We started with baguette slices and French butter - divine.

The carpaccio was visually spectacular, but tasteless.

The salad consisted of a pile of totally limp lettuce leaves doused in far too much vinaigrette surrounded by thin slices of cucumber and tomato – a disgrace!

The lobster and cream of asparagus soup were excellent.

The fish and pork were both overcooked. The risotto, while al dente, was lacking in flavour – of both mushroom and truffle.

The dessert was so unmemorable that I can’t remember what we were served, but it was minute in size.

Now to the service. Rapid fire and pretentious! Each course was served immediately after plates had been cleared from the previous course.

Each course arrived at the table with a “cover”, which a battery of waiters lifted simultaneously, uttering “bon appétit”. Grand theatre – shame about the food!

Red and white wine were included, supposedly “free flowing”, according to our tour guide. That was certainly not the case. The wines were of acceptable quality, but requests for a refill received a gruff look from waiters, and a miniscule amount would be added to the glass.

I have no idea how much the meal cost as it was included in our tour, but the food was sub-standard compared to any French restaurant in which I have dined all over the world.

Perhaps the a la carte menu was superior, and tour groups are served inferior food – I certainly hope so!

1  Thank Glynis031
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Amazing, how a foreign couple can lead a restaurant with that high standard of quality together with local people and local food ....a very good expereince !

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Imaginative French Burmese cuisine, beautifully presented although hearty eaters might find the portions small. Lovely dining room away from the main centre in a beautiful old colonial house - make sure the taxi understands exactly where the restaurant is as it is tucked away but well worth a visit. Business set lunch was $30 per head which was good for the quality of food. Wine, water and coffee were expensive however.