“Beautiful setting but watch out for those tiki lights” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Planteur

Le Planteur
Cuisines: French, European, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: WE HAVE MOVED TO 80 UNIVERSITY AVENUE. Le Planteur opens a new restaurant on Inya Lake, at 80 University Road. Le Planteur (Inya Lake) upgraded even more to the next standard of finesse in quality, standard and ambience!! And so, Le Planteur (Inya Lake) remains faithful to its concept, in a stunningly attractive venue!! It is an exciting and wonderful evolution and change for Le Planteur - but the things you and I love about Le Planteur have not changed. A new Chef arrived at Le Planteur! The team is proud to welcome Chef Gil Dumoulin who will be in charge of the fine dining restaurant.
Woodside, California
“Beautiful setting but watch out for those tiki lights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We enjoyed our last night in Yangon at La Planteur. We prepaid for the dinner portion as we were the end of a 18 day trip and didn't know how our cash would be at the end of the visit. [No ATM's or CC's.] We had the chef's recommended menu with several selections. The food was beautifully presented and accommodated lots of choices. It was very good but not excellent, certainly not something we will remember. The wine list was way too expensive with very few reasonable choices. The garden setting was lovely but there are several problems. 1. Yangon's pollution is increasing and you can start to taste it. We were there in 2004 and it isn't nearly as bad as Bangkok or Beijing but you can start to experience the taste. 2. But the real problem was their tiki lamps (kerosene oil in the bamboo lights with wicks that light the perimeter of the garden. We were near the lamps and they were irritating. Additionally they set a couple behind us who literally chain smoked the entire evening. There were four of us at our table and I had the corner where the fumes from the lamp and the cigarette smoke seemed to meet. I kept falling asleep. My husband asked me why I was slurring my words. I thought maybe I had caught some bug. It dawned on me way too late in the meal that I was getting the effect of that kerosene (or fuel) burning. We asked the waiter to move us to near the house and the bar for the last course and tea and I immediately felt different. How silly of me/us not to recognize this ahead during our dinner but that's how it is with gases. I am going to write the restaurant but I recommend that you find a table away from the lights. I wish they also had a no smoking section even if it is outside. AND bring some flashlights to read the menu. To achieve the ambiance they want you really have to work at seeing things on the menu and table. We usually aren't that sensitive to pollution and air borne effects but it seemed to be a perfect storm of all the events at once. Diners beware.

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank BinWoodside

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Worth every dollar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

After spending two weeks in Myanmar and eating some reasonably fine dining meals in various hotel restaurants I was slightly dubious about our booking at Le Planteur given some of the reviews. I had promised my partner Michelin Star food and was worried they would not meet our expectations.
From the moment we arrived my doubts disappeared. We were ushered to our table after being assured there would be a car to return us to our hotel. Service was efficient and professional. The amuse bouches were delightful if extravagant.
We both ordered the set menu and a bottle of wine and waited to be surprised.
The food was truly delightful and definitely met our expectations.
The desserts were overwhelming. The set menu included 3 different chocolate based desserts plus choices from the dessert trolley! The only surprise was to be charged for the coffee.
Extravagant yes but if you want a real fine dining experience Le Planteur is definitely worth visiting.

• 4 of 5 stars
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We went to Le Planteur during a recent trip to Yangon based on Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. The setting, outdoor in a lovely garden behind a large manor house eating by candlelight and surrounded by modern and traditional outdoor Burmese decor was stunning. The menu accommodated all tastes and the wine list was extensive. The food was delicious and well presented and service was first class. Not overpriced by international standards for the ambience, food and service. Who would have thought that one would find fine dining of this calibre in Yangon. And the drive to the hotel in the Morris was indeed fun.

Rome, Italy
“Superb setting but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went to Le Planteur on the recommendation of friends who had lived in Rangoon. The place is positively superb, South East Asian decoration at its best. The food, though, did not quite live up to the hype - good, but not more than that, and very much overpriced. In retrospect, we thought we should rather have had a drink and gone elsewhere for dinner.

Visited March 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Food over-rated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Setting is fantastic; food was good, but to the French woman who told us that it was the best meal she had ever had, I'd say 'you should get out more'!

Visited January 2013