Harmoneat - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Closed down 30 June - very sad - it was great while it lasted!

Reviewed September 5, 2015
JoburgFacey
Joburg
Great staff, great food, great experience

Reviewed June 22, 2015
Peter H

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 5, 2015

Harmoneat's cooking school closed on 30 June. Their next project claims that "it's going to take sustainable voluntourism to a whole new level giving people from all over the world the chance to work side by side to create culinary and community magic! It's going to empower, employ and inspire with projects in Australia and abroad!" Stay tuned.... follow harmoneat on Facebook

Reviewed June 22, 2015

Together with a group of Danish students I had the pleasure of participating in a cooking lesson at Harmoneat. It started out with a guided walk to the local market where there was rich opportunity to talk about the different foods, the prices but also learn small Burmese frases and so on. After that we went back to the apartment where we had a cooking lesson. The staff there was absolutely great at instructing us all and contributed to a great atmosphere. Also they were very competent about what they were doing which ultimately made for a great meal. I can absolutely recommend - for the cooking and for the great talks about different cultural issues as well.

2  Thank Peter H
Reviewed April 29, 2015

really worth while adding on the market visit.
Great people with a great cause. We cooked and tasted seven dishes. I really loved the fermented tea salad.
It was fantastic to set down and have lunch with the staff and share our different experiences. I would highly recommend

1  Thank AndyGutschlag
Reviewed April 12, 2015

Very enjoyable experience starting with a visit to the local market to buy the produce, through to the enjoyment of sitting down at the end to eat the excellent lunch. The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. Would definitely recommend this for visitors to Yangon..

3  Thank Terry D
Reviewed February 13, 2015

Though I'm far from a professional chef, the morning spent with Harmoneat was a fun and educational introduction into the food of Myanmar. I especially enjoyed the visit to the local market to purchase the ingredients for the dishes we prepared, which included a fish cake curry, duck egg curry, tofu salad, fried watercress and a lentil and vermicelli soup (with a spicy dip to accompany the meal). The class was small (just me, a friend and one other attendee) and the interaction lively. I can't say that I left the class an expert in Myanmar cooking, but it was a great introduction!

4  Thank mefinsf
Reviewed January 21, 2015

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our morning learning how to book Burmese food from Lulu and Thiri. Sandar was there too. The Harmoneat team was very organized, friendly and engaging. They shared personal stories and was also very interested in us. As someone staying in Yangon, I can assure you that the food Harmoneat cooked is very authentic. Highly recommended for any one visiting Yangon. And can I remind everyone that Harmoneat is a social enterprise. You are doing good and learning how to cook at the same time!

The apartment was lovely, filled with light and was very windy. One needs to climb up several flights of stairs though, so be warned if you are not very mobile.

1  Thank FatboyRed
Reviewed January 6, 2015

We had a ball, first visiting the local market (no other foreigners in sight) to select fresh ingredients, and then preparing and cooking several delicious dishes under the expert tutelage of Lu Lu and Thiri. Then, of course, we got to eat everything. Highly recommended as both a great way to learn about Burmese culture and an effective way to contribute to community development.

Reviewed January 2, 2015

My husband and I love doing cooking classes when travelling in SE Asia and we rated this course as one of our best experiences. The staff were very engaging, friendly & informative, and also had a lovely sense of fun. The market tour was really interesting and a great way to start the class. Also, our guide very happily answered all the questions regaring what we observed in the market. The cooking classroom is well set-up, and very well-lit and well-ventilated. The dishes are easy to prepare but still give good exposure to a range of dishes; they were also delicious to eat. Attending the class boosted my interest and confidence to be more adventurous with food choices as we travelled inland. It is a bonus that the funds raised by the cooking school go towards funding community projects.

1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed December 8, 2014

We attended the cooking class and market tour of Harmoneat in Yangon two weeks ago during our last day in Myanmar. We picked this cooking class because of their vision and mission to connect communities through food (and make the world a better place in general, by teaching the importance of health and hygiene in preparing food for example). Learn more about their ideas and plans and how you can support them on: www.harmoneat.com.

About the half-day course itself: We were greeted by the wonderful women of Harmoneat, who took us to a local market and explained the role of these markets in Myanmar everyday life (insightful, even after having visited a lot of local markets in Southeast Asia). During breakfast tea at one of the local tea stalls we learned a lot about Myanmar culture(s) and its history. After breakfast and a 5 minute walk, we went to the location of the cooking class. The kitchen was very clean. All the steps of preparation of the food were well-explained and it was really fun to make the dishes. Most of the dishes we cooked were made with ingredients that we can easily find at home (Europe). We would really recommend this cooking class to learn more about the food and culture of Myanmar and support a great cause as well!

1  Thank YvonnePoehee
Reviewed November 28, 2014

This cooking school is one of Yangon's best kept secrets. The market tour is such a good "real city" experience, and a great opportunity to get to grips with the fantastic range of fresh produce available in Myanmar.
The cooking school is traditionally equipped and feels like someone's home. We learnt to make a wide range of traditional dishes, which tasted fresher, healthier and more flavour-some than any Burmese restaurant I have been to.
My friends favourite is the duck egg curry. Thanks Harmoneat, Keep up the fantastic work!!